Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DK I think you got it right. Everyone is pissed off at the current situation, and they rightfully should be, I know I am, but at the end of the day I believe most people that followed them the first time will follow them again once the dust settles. Don't forget when they followed them to DirecTV, Mega Cosmos was $25/month since you also had to subscribe to basic programing. (same with all a-la-carte Greek channels on both Dish Network and DirecTV since you have to pay a fee if you don't have American programing) Back when they moved to DirecTV tons of people said they would not follow, and yet a good number did after some time. The fact is if you want an all around good Greek channel, Mega Cosmos is the channel that offers that. New top-rated scripted shows, old classics, top news reporting, etc. and best of all limited reality junk. I said it once, and I'll say it again, the only thing keeping Ant1 around is sports (which they keep emphasizing for a reason) and the fact that they have been in the market for 15 years. (and during their "golden years")

As for myself, I still haven't decided what I am going to do yet. The ideal thing would have been for them to go to Dish so we can just have everything on one platform, but that didn't happen and looks like it wont. I am going to wait a bit and see what happens probably. I hope they reconsider the package prices.

How are you getting Mega at the moment? You mentioned that you're planning to order it tomorrow?

MEGA COSMOS at the moment is FTA beleive it or not, at 101W on SES 1 satellite 12110 30000 H 3/4. I am receiving it with an FTA receiver and the Directv dish which I realigned the LNB previously looking at 95.

I don't beleive it is going to stay like that so I am going to order it so I can get the free receiver and smart card.

My PVR FTA receiver unfortunately does not support smartcard so I couldn't use it.

Mega Cosmos is the channel that offers that . . . . top news reporting,

You are two days late for April Fool's Grk101. In my view, (and not just mine), MEGA has from early on been the definition of what is called "diaplekomena" in Greece, always interfering in affairs and internal elections of the two big parties trying to get elected whomever their editors and big contractor bosses want, and doing so also year-round, using their ratings influence as influence with whichever government is in power.

I agree that it generally has a good tradition in soaps and dramas (among the Greek channels anyway, it's not like they are US network TV caliber), and for scripted TV it has always offered more than any other channel in Greece. So of course it is always going to have a following, no question. And the more their followers prove they will jump through any hoops for it, the more hoops there will be. :whistle:

And the more their followers prove they will jump through any hoops for it, the more hoops there will be. :whistle:

That is the unfortunate truth. One would hope there will be no more "hoops" in the considerable future.

GMG updated their site and channel availability

Mega: Euro-world network, RCN, Cablevision

ERT: Dish Network

Star: Coming soon

GMTV: Coming soon

RIK Sat: Ellastv

Still wonder how they pulled the last one off, but this isn't the place to discuss that.

What exactly does the 'coming soon' mean for Alter Globe, Star International & GMtv?! I thought these channels are going to be part of the package on Home2US, has that changed now?! Also, why does it say Euro World Network for MEGA Cosmos, the name of the platform is Home2US?!

I wonder why ERT World is still listed on the site when they clearly are not in charge of distributing the channel because if they were it would be on SES 101 right now?!

Interesting that they list Ellas TV for RIK Sat but its not listed for MEGA Cosmos or Alter Globe?!

Good questions HellasHab. Maybe they put "Coming soon" since they won't launch until May 1st, but why not just put EWN/Home2us from now to start advertisement? As for ERT, maybe they still are in charge but someone shut down their plans to expand like we speculated. Maybe Dish is still claiming to be in exclusive contract with them? I think the fact that they still kept it on their site after updating could point that they are trying to overcome whatever stopped them. We can only hope!

I think they should replace GMtv with MAD World, from what others have said it is a much better music service.

PLEASE! :tup: It seems like a MUCH more balanced channel, good mix of old and new. GMTV is mostly older stuff, but still beats Blue hands down. Blue is mostly pop and newer stuff. GMTV also plays mini-concerts which are nice, my only real complaint is that its all on a loop. It seems they gave up on the channel after their initial attempt to have live interactive shows and hosts.

Interesting that they list Ellas TV for RIK Sat but its not listed for MEGA Cosmos or Alter Globe?!

Their situation gets stranger by the day. I still can't figure out how they pulled that one off. Maybe you were right on your theory that they over-payed for the rights to it. It could explain why they signed RIK Sat up with a sketchy service trying to recoup money. We also have yet to figure out this whole Titan/GMG thing, and why it appears Ms. Doumas left GMG to head up Titan, but is still working with GMG?!

PLEASE! :tup: It seems like a MUCH more balanced channel, good mix of old and new. GMTV is mostly older stuff, but still beats Blue hands down. Blue is mostly pop and newer stuff. GMTV also plays mini-concerts which are nice, my only real complaint is that its all on a loop. It seems they gave up on the channel after their initial attempt to have live interactive shows and hosts.

GMTV beats Blue, hands down? :LOL: Are you freakin' kidding me? I'm not one to sit in front of my TV and watch music videos all day, but at least Blue looks like a real music channel. GMTV is low budget crap they must have found in small town Hellas. (I know they're from Galatsi, but I'm trying to make a point).

I'm sorry if your preference is Greek pop 24/7. Just take a look at their top videos chart: http://www.mad.tv/charts/chart.php?chid=3748

I myself prefer a good mix, which is what MAD World offers. GMTV on the other hand makes for a good flashback channel as they play a lot of older stuff. I just wish they were not on a loop. I rather listen to older stuff than newer pop stuff aimed at teenagers. For the record, GMTV is a custom channel. It started out as G TV, but was changed from what we saw. It seems like GMG controls it, and they gave up on re-structuring it after their initial attempt last year, pathetic imo.

It is pretty simple,

Blue = Younger viewers

GMTV = Older viewers

MAD World = Everyone

The fact is that music video channels are essentially novelties now in the age of the internet and Youtube, but if I would have to choose one, I would want MAD World.

I just wish they were not on a loop.

That's the point I was trying to get across. It's like GMTV put in a DVD to play continuously in repeat mode. I wasn't referring to music style or attacking you on your music preference nor was I saying that I prefer just pop. No hard feelings. :)

That's the point I was trying to get across. It's like GMTV put in a DVD to play continuously in repeat mode. I wasn't referring to music style or attacking you on your music preference nor was I saying that I prefer just pop. No hard feelings. :)

Ahh, ok I misunderstood you. Sorry about that. ;) Yeah I agree though. It seems they attempted to restructure it last year adding some locally produced request shows and music news shows, but they gave up after a few months. After that even those shows were on a loop. <_<

Guys, whoever is interested do not waste your time with Euro-World Network/GreekTV-America/Home2us/whatever. It seems like their customer service does not know what they are doing as they keep giving out different information each time you contact them. Call Greek Media Group directly (if you can get through...) A friend of mine called them yesterday, the receiver is free, you do not have to prepay anything. Only thing you pay for at time of the order is the shipping for the receiver and LNB if you need one. You get one month of service free if you sign up for auto-pay, and you can choose multiple billing options including the standard monthly way if you don

Guys, whoever is interested do not waste your time with Euro-World Network/GreekTV-America/Home2us/whatever. It seems like their customer service does not know what they are doing as they keep giving out different information each time you contact them. Call Greek Media Group directly (if you can get through...) A friend of mine called them yesterday, the receiver is free, you do not have to prepay anything. Only thing you pay for at time of the order is the shipping for the receiver and LNB if you need one. You get one month of service free if you sign up for auto-pay, and you can choose multiple billing options including the standard monthly way if you don

It is outsourcing of the customer service that is the problem most likely. That is why I preferred DirecTV over Dish Network customer service. When I would call DirecTV I would get someone in the US (or at least sounded like it) that I could actually understand. Whenever I would call Dish Network I would get someone from India who I always had a hard time understanding.......Oh the headaches I have had trying to solve technical problems over the phone with Dish Network customer service from India or wherever they are. :LOL: EWN needs to get a dedicated Greek department for ordering like Dish Network has and DirecTV had. Or maybe that is what GMG is??

A couple of things.

I order MEGA COSMOS today through GMG. I was charged $22.50 for shipping and handling and I am getting the receiver, one LNB (I asked for it) and the smartcard. When I have all the equipment at hand and call to activate the service I will have the option to be billed every 1, 3, 6 or 12 months with no commitment. I get one free month and if I decide to go with the 12 month option I get a second month free. This is the commitment part they are referring to.

I asked for the LNB, although I don’t need it to pick up 101W because I have the one from Directv which by the way I am dropping on the 15th, to use it for GALAXY 19 (97W) and pick up available FTA channels.

You can always get what you want with Dish or Directv agents as long as you get the right person on the other line and that would not be of course a non American speaking person. A classic example is what happened to me when I recently relocated and I had to call to remove the service. The website clearly indicates that it is a free move. The person on the other line however told me that it would cost me $100.00. When I complaint about he told me he could waive off $50.00. I said no I want the whole thing off so I hang up and I called back talking to a different agent. He waived the whole thing off. When the technician came he also replaced my two DVR receivers with the latest VIP722K and took back the VIP622s that I had.

When I call I make sure I talk to an American. One way to make sure you can get that is to always ask for Tech Support, they only have Americans there and they would do also process any request you have, programming change or billing or name it.

Did they give you the LNB free addynia?

I just called GMG up myself. I got the same information my friend got. The first receiver is free; you only have to pay for the shipping. They said a second box would be $80 + shipping. Shipping time would be 7-10 days, 2 weeks at the maximum. When I asked about other channels, they said they don

GRK101 yes the LNB is free. Ask for one although I don't think you need it as you have already two on your dish.

If I remember you have a dish with two LNB's the left one was aligned to receive from the Directv 101W the right to receive from 95W where MEGA COMSOS used to be. Since you are dropping Directv all you should have to do is to realign the left one to receive from 101W but from SES 1 where Home2us is. This is a 5 minute job but you need the Satellite finder to properly align the LNB. You cannot guess or move the dish, it will never work as the device will find the optimum position and lock the coordinates. Moving the dish might do the trick but you still need the device to verify the reception.

By no means I am not an expert, it is mostly how I think it works.

Hmm thanks for the info addynia, I'll look around for one if that is what is needed. I think they are only a few dollars on ebay. Maybe I'll ask on some satellite forums too and see what they suggest since I think I am going to end up ordering. It seems like a simple job. Also a dumb thought, but I wonder why the current one pointing to 101W for American programing wont work? A different type of LNB I guess? EDIT: So I ended up ordering....I hope I can do it myself and don't end up having to call someone out.

On another note, check out what I found on the web: http://www.greeknewsonline.com/?p=15461

MEGA Cosmos Launches on Greek TV America Satellite Platform

April 4, 2011 by Greek News

Grk101 This is my understanding. There are two Satellites at 101W DirecTV 4S/8 and SES 1. Your current LNB which I assume is single is aligned to pick up channels from DirecTV 4S/8. Each single LNB can only pick up channels from one Satellite. So to receive SES 1 you need to realign the one currently looking at DirecTV to pick up SES 1.

A Dual LNB can be aligned to receive from both the above satellites.

As far as setting up multiple receivers this is my understanding.

The coax cable from the LNB's are connected to a multi-swich inputs and each receiver will be connected to a separate output on the same multi-swich

A Dual LNB alligned to receive from SES 1 only can support two receivers bypassing the multi-swich configuration. This is the configuration Home2us is using since they only have one Satellite at 101W.

Ahh OK, thanks for the explanation. So basically if I understand this right, if I re-align one of the current single LNBs to SES-1 at 101W, I can use the current multi-switch (i assume that's what is attached to it currently) to run the 2 receivers. (just like I did with the DirecTV receivers) I assume the current switch would still work. Only 1 LNB would be in use as I would only need to point to one satellite: SES-1 at 101W.

Archived