Phantis Forums

Play Off Spot?

Euro2004

For all the criticism the Greek league receives there's something that has been over looked on these forums. The race for the play-off spots is hugely exciting! PAO are guaranteed a spot, other than that it's anyone's to claim!

Look at Aris for example, merely 5 points off of a play off spot but also 5 points clear of relegation! It's crazy!

At the moment AEK, Kavala and Olympiakos Volou are in. The latter is particularly impressive because they only came up last year, and they've drawn more games than they've won this season :blink:

So what are the predictions and who would you like to see make it and why?

If the likes Kavala, Volou and/or Ergotelis make it, it could mean that they earn more money, which hopefully they'll reinvest into their clubs and make the league more competitive. It would also mean that a strong team with a smaller squad, namely PAOK, will only have one thing to focus on next year: the league, enabling a real title challenge.

Alternatively, the smaller clubs getting into a play off could just mean that they go out of Europe early (like Xanthi did a few years ago) and the superleague underperforms and loses coefficiant points. PAOK and Aris might also be forced to sell players as they restructure their budgets without European football. So there are pros and cons, would you be optimistic or pessimistic if the smaller clubs made it?

Personally I want to see the usual suspects make it. PAOK and Aris made great strides this year and with more European money and their fanatical home support they are more likely to be a force in Europe. Somehow I doubt that Ergotelis will strike fear into the hearts of visiting teams :P

Opinions please.

I personally DON'T like the playoff system. If a team finishes outside the top 2 spots, they don't deserve a CL spot, period.

I would prefer a smaller league and a system like the Swiss used to have where the table is split after half the season with the top clubs competing for the title and the bottom ones to avoid relegation.

Thanks for replying Irlandos.

Personally i love the play off system. Unlike the Swiss league or the Scottish league our league is quite competitive if you take out the top 2. As I said before, Aris is only 5 points clear of relegation but only 5 points off of a play off spot, so i don't think a split would be justified or necessary.

Perhaps the top 2 should be guaranteed a CL spot and the play offs are for teams that finish 3rd - 6th to see who misses out on a Europa League spot? On the other hand though, why should finishing 2nd guarantee you a CL spot? If 2 teams make the CL final the winner is guaranteed a spot in the next tournament, the runner up isn't. So why should the runner up get special treatment? If the team that finishes 2nd can't protect a 2 point lead in a 4 team group comprised of domestic teams then maybe they don't deserve a CL spot. Maybe they just aren't cut out for CL competition. After all, let's say PAO fail to make it this season because we lose to Kavala and Olympiakos Volou, how are we going to cope against the likes of Lyon, Porto, Shakhtar?

• 1 month later...

Aris are beating Xanthi 1-2

Volos 2-2 PAO

so they'll be level on points. Who qualifies if it finishes like this? Is it determined by goal difference or head to head? If it's goal difference Volos will make it into the playoffs, if its head to head it will be Aris

Archived