Phantis Forums

Apostolos Vellios ‒ Pec Zwolle

Euro2004

I disagree, youth is always given a chance in the Prem. Arsenal are the best example followed by Man Utd. But even teams like Everton give youth a chance. They frequently play (and have been for a couple of years now) Jack Rodwell, Seamus Coleman and Anichebe. If he's good enough he'll play, unfortunately i dont think he's good enough. He'll still benefit from Premier League youth development though so in 3 years he should be better off than if he stayed in Greece

he will have a tough time and will probably be loaned out once or twice...hopefully he will develop well and excel instead of wither away like alot of young players in england...

i agree, he could have gone to a nice club in the bundesliga and would probably see more first team action.

either way, it will probably be better for him then staying in greece..

First team ball and the space to develop a key role at Iraklis is worth more than the EPL reserves. At his age, hes old enough to be playing with Professionals. He should be doing so. The defenders in the Greek league are way tougher than what he'll come up against for Everton B, Greek sides and league is tough and the league is really not that easy as everybody likes to make it out to be.

Well see. If he gets to train first team, and make an occasional sub its good. If he sits in the reserve for 3 years then goes and plays for some obscure Belgian or Second Divions team, a Superleague transfer would definitly be the better choice. I'd have liked to see him go to AEK, PAOK or Aris.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Vellios has been doing well in the Everton reserves. In his last 5 games he's got 3 goals and 2 assists. The 2 assists came in his latest game which was against Liverpool in the reserve derby.

Everton reserves manager Alan Stubbs said:

"For me it was the best he’s been since he’s come to the club. He looked more of an all-round player.

"In the past he’s done some good individual stuff but then done something a little bit sloppy.

"He was more complete tonight, he did the difficult things well and he was starting to do the simple things better.

"That was very pleasing, probably the biggest plus of the night for me.

"He’s a big lad, he’s about 6ft 3ins but he’s got a good touch, he’s good feet for a big fella and he’s been scoring a few goals which is good for his confidence."

So that's good news for him, Everton and the future of the national team.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/everto...534-28407978/2/

Came on for the last 15 mins again today in Everton's 0-3 win at Wolves, it was already 0-3 when he came on. After the game Moyes suggested that the young players have been given a chance because Everton have injuries. Nonetheless he said that Vellios did well and indeed he did. He won a great sliding tackle to set up and attack. He also put in a cross that found Anichebe with the latter shooting wide. Looks a little slow but does the "ugly stuff" well and works hard. It looks like he has a good attitude so hopefully he improves considerably at Everton :tup:

Made another sub appearance in the last few mins as Everton beat Blackburn 2-0. i didn't see the game but apparently it was too late an introduction to make an impact. Nonetheless it's good experience for the kid

Edited by Euro2004

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/moy...n-class-1577341

Moyes says Vellios proving himself Everton class

Everton boss David Moyes is pleased with the progress of Greek striker Apostolos Vellios.

Vellios only arrived in January from Iraklis and is already tasting regular Premier League action.

Vellios, known at Goodison at Tolis, is yet to start for the Toffees but went close to capping his latest cameo with a goal against Blackburn Rovers.

"Tolis understands what is required here, he runs around, technically he's very good and he was very unlucky not to score," said Moyes

:tup:

• 4 months later...

Came on in the 84th minute against Aston Villa on the weekend.

He replaced Tim Cahill and according to an Everton FC Fan site he did have an impact:

"Everton did go close again when substitute Vellios got on to a poor back pass but could only watch his effort go wide. "

Let's hope he continues with his development. The NT needs a striker!

Re: Everton 3-1 Wigan &Vellios' performance :gr:

David Moyes (Everton manager) said: “What we need at this club at the moment are hungry footballers. It’s my job to try to win games and Vellios won the game,” explained Moyes.

I’m looking to find a new team, basically. If we don’t put the young boys in and keep going with what we’ve got, they’ll get older and eventually we don’t have a team. So I have to see what young boys can go the distance. I need to try to keep progressing the club and under the current circumstances this is the only way.”

Notice the emphasis on “hungry” players. Many would argue that Saha, for all his talent, only seems to declare himself fit for home games against smaller clubs.

Vellios, on the other hand, was plucked from the obscurity of Greece’s second division for 50 grand, with a burning desire to succeed.

He has talent, good technique for a big fella and a nose for goal. Moyes added: “He can finish from crosses, as you saw. He’s got the ability to get on the end of things. Technically he’s good – in fact, he’s very gifted.

“There’s something to work with and that’s why I’ve said ‘Let’s see if you can do it on the big stage’, albeit at the moment just as substitute. Louie only trained this week and I think he was out with injury for six or seven months. He’s played one 45 and one 60 minutes so I’m in the business of winning games and there’s a bit of being fair as well.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Evert...icle801212.html

Notice the line I underlined... Valverde and other Greek coaches need to take note! This is how you avoid young players being ruined, by trusting them!

Edited by Euro2004

Vellios came on in the 62min min for Everton in the cup game at home to WBA. Everton won 2-1 in extra time. Didn't see how he played, but pao123's beloved rating system on goal.com :P was responsible for giving him a 6.5 and commenting:

"Replaced Stracqualursi and proved an able target man up front, transforming his side's fortunes with some fine attacking play."

Here's an interview too. He seems to have his head in the right place which is great. He has great raw talent so let's hope he works hard to develop it.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011...is-for-the-fans

• 4 weeks later...

vellios came in today vs chelsea in the 81st minute and scored immediately. a very nice finish after he got on the end of a nice cross. hopefully these two goals will help him gain more minutes..moyes seems to show faith in him..

the finish was good but the movement was class! Officially within 18 seconds of coming on he scored, but it was merely 8 seconds of real playing time! :tup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

has not played since boxing day as it seems moyes is not convinced although he has scored 3 so far this season with little time. everton also recently picked up donovan on loan, which puts him further down the pecking order...despite this he grit his teeth and scored a first half hat trick in the latest reserve match...

i hope to see him playing first team again, he is surely one for the future, maybe not ready for euros this year, but soon.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

He's playing in Denmark on loan from Lierse.

Looks like he will play in the Danish Cup final but let's put things in perspective: a few seasons ago he was scoring in the EPL and now he's on loan to a team in a league which is equivalent to about the Greek second division so he's not exactly setting Europe on fire.

The good thing is he's playing and scoring though.

• Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Apostolos Vellios ‒ (transferred to Atromitos from Nottingham Forest on June 23, 2019)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Apostolos Vellios ‒ Pec Zwolle
  • Argy locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic