Phantis Forums

Directv still offering Greek channels

The scrolling messages have started appearing at the bottom of the channels saying they are leaving 3/31.

Greek Media Group does not yet know what it happening. A friend of mine called this am and they told him that this just happened and they had not been informed by Directv (huh?). He said the woman on the phone did sound frustrated (and very nice) and said they had received many calls this morning from people who got these letters and saw the scroll on the channels. She recorded my friend's phone number and promised to call him at the end of the week when they would know what will happen.

From what I have been reading, and this situation, I am getting the impression that the Greek channels, Alpha included, did want to stay with Directv but Directv were the ones kicking them out.

The writing was on the wall from the day DirecTV stop taking new subscribers for the Greek package.

Lets hope they get a deal soon with one of the satellite provider for all 3 channels Mega/Alter/GMTV

DKSat

I just hope that if they do not re-negotiate with DirecTV (I am doubting they will), then some of the channels, or at least Mega, moves to Dish Network and not some obscure other platform.

I don't think that there will be any new deal as DirecTV does not appear to be interested in keeping the Greek package and the removal of the package info from their site is a telltale sign of this. Also, if Greek Media Group were going to try and negotiate a new deal with DirecTV, I would think that negotiations would have commenced a while ago- why would they wait until the current deal expires to start negotiating a new one?!

As for Alter Globe & GMtv, Alter in Greece is in rough shape and from all reports having a hard time keeping things going so I am surprised this international service is still on the air?! GMtv will most likely shut down since I don't see Dish Network adding this channel when Antenna has their own music channel (Blue) on the platform.

I don't think there is any hope of a renegotiation as well, as DKsat said the writing has been on the walls, but in the past negotiations (most notably big networks) have gone on with cancellation notices and even channels even being dropped for a few days only for them to reach a deal after.

Regarding GMTV, like I also said earlier I can't see Dish picking them up because of Blue. It is a shame though, since GMTV has a better mix of music as opposed to Blue which is mostly pop and geared to the younger audience.

Greek Media Group does not yet know what it happening. A friend of mine called this am and they told him that this just happened and they had not been informed by Directv (huh?). He said the woman on the phone did sound frustrated (and very nice) and said they had received many calls this morning from people who got these letters and saw the scroll on the channels. She recorded my friend's phone number and promised to call him at the end of the week when they would know what will happen.

From what I have been reading, and this situation, I am getting the impression that the Greek channels, Alpha included, did want to stay with Directv but Directv were the ones kicking them out.

Interesting information. I think that is most likely the probability, DirecTV wants out of the Greek market. Either Alpha saw this way before and made a move accordingly, or Alpha's move is what finally pushed DirecTV to call quits on these channels.

If you believe this article, things are looking very grim for the channels. They claim that Ant1 and Alpha has "vetoed" Mega's attempt to get on Dish. If true, that seems like a dumb move, as most people who had DirecTV to begin with had it for Mega. Adding Mega to the Dish package would probably attract those subs.

Is this site you referenced the article from some sort of tabloid because I find this a bit hard to believe?! It has become rather obvious that Antenna holds quite a bit of clout with Dishnet officials but I don't understand why they would allow Antenna to interfere in there business?! MEGA is the most popular channel in Greece and I think if they added it to their lineup it would definitely bring in more subs so why would they listen to Antenna and their supposed objections?! Also, I don't really understand how Alpha fits into this, they just recently signed with Dish now they supposedly have a say in what channels Dish should or shouldn't add to their lineup?! ;)

The only think that might make sense here is if GMG had certain conditions that they wanted to be met before agreeing to sign a deal with Dish and perhaps Antenna got wind of this and told Dish officials not to agree and not to add the channel?!

The only positive thing here (if the info in this article is true) is that MEGA Cosmos is available on cable, so they could continue down that path and try to get the channel onto other cable systems. As far as satellite goes, there only other option would be GlobeCast but without ERT World they probably will have as much success there as they did on DirecTV.

Archived