Phantis Forums

Directv still offering Greek channels

A friend of mine called 1-800-378-7229 today and ordered Greek Direct. They told him that unfortunately they no longer offer Alpha, but that Alter, Mega, and GMTV are still available. He asked if they plan to offer some other channel in place of Alpha, and the man from sales said that currently that is not the case, but in the future they might. Sounded like typical empty promises--but the main issue here is that they still offer the package, they just don't advertise it. Weird, huh?

Strange, because when I called days ago I was informed it was no longer being offered to new customers. Additionally, a separate email I received also confirmed that. But to be fair, the representative only mentioned a la carte services in the email.

"Please be advised that effective Dec 1, 2010, all Greek language a la carte services were no longer available, however, existing GreekDirect customers will still get programming."

What packages and prices were they offering your friend? On a separate note, Directv has been ramping up removal notifications for Alpha on screen. A scrolling message appears at the bottom every so often informing customers that it will be leaving at the end of the month, and listing a dedicated phone number to call for any questions.

What packages and prices were they offering your friend?

He got Greek Direct II with Mega, Alter, and GMTV (as if) for $26.99

He already had Directv--he just added the Greek channels. He had this old brochure with the number and wanted to do it for Xmas for his family, so he called that number and got it. When he told me, I explained to him that the channels are in stealth mode right now. I guess in his case ignorance was bliss.

He got Greek Direct II with Mega, Alter, and GMTV (as if) for $26.99

He already had Directv--he just added the Greek channels. He had this old brochure with the number and wanted to do it for Xmas for his family, so he called that number and got it. When he told me, I explained to him  that the channels are in stealth mode right now. I guess in his case ignorance was bliss.

Just received this email from a afriend moving to US, who contacted DitrecTV customer care:

Subject

---------------------------------------------------------------

Greek programme

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Lorrie J. - 100198317) - 12/03/2010 12:39 PM

Dear Mr. Tatsikas,

Thanks for writing and I understand your concern about Greek programming.

I checked my resources and found that we no longer offer Greek programming. However, we continue expanding out international programming to channels from all around the world.

Since we value your opinions about our programming, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management, who review every suggestion, inquiry and complaint for trends from our most important customers to determine what channels should be considered.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Moving forward, we have some exciting new offers that make it one of the best times to sign up for DIRECTV. Thus, we have set up two ways for you to get immediate responses to all of your questions and begin enjoying DIRECTV:

For information about our current offers or to place your order online in just minutes, simply go to directv.com/getdirectv.

You can also call us at 1-800-DIRECTV from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. ET daily to get answers to your questions.

Sincerely,

Lorrie R. - 100198317

DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

Customer By Web Form (Dimitris Tatsikas) - 12/02/2010 08:22 AM

I am moving from Greece to US next month for 1 year and I would like to know if you still have Greek Programming on your packaging. I do not find it in your web. Best regards,

Dimitris

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dire...-networks-55708

Looks like their new priority is to keep costs down and they are even dropping US channels. The new low-cost package constitutes part of their new strategy. I guess we have to wait and see how it all unfolds. I also thought Directv was done with Greek networks (and for those with short memories, it would not be the first time it screwed Greek channels over); who knows, maybe my friend was just lucky. But why haven't we heard from the other channels? Is MEGA just planning on disappearing from the US market?

I personally think DirecTV is taking a good hard look at their options right now: To keep the channels and compete, or to prematurely break contract and kick them to the curb. I think it was stated in another thread on here that the Greek channels have a contract on DirecTV until something like 2015, so keeping the channels "hidden" until then (on air, but not available to new subscribers) does not seem feasible honestly. If they already made a decision to drop the channels, they would have already informed retailers I am sure. (Like with the Polish package earlier this year) I am going to guess that there is a penalty for prematurely breaking contract? So again I am guessing that they are exploring what is the best route to take is. Either way, I think they will decide fairly soon.

Anyway, if they finally decided to drop the channels (which I believe will happen), I am sure Dish will quickly pick up Mega. But I don't know how attractive Alter would be though.....especially since they just picked up Alpha. Although Alter have a good amount of news and news-type talks shows on all day. As for GMTV, they would be gone. No need for them with Blue.

Is MEGA just planning on disappearing from the US market?

MEGA is not going anywhere, they are the most popular network in Greece and are gaining popularity abroad as well. Also, MEGA Cosmos is currently available on cable in the US, so even if DirecTV drops it they will still have a presence (albeit a much smaller one). I think it all comes down to this Greek Media Group who own the rights, will they attempt to do a deal with Dish Network, look into other satellite providers or will they try and increase distribution of the channel through cable & IPTV?! The key with Dishnet is can the two sides work out an agreement, the reason they left in the first place was they did not like the way the channel was being treated (only in the most expensive package and not available a la carte).

Also, MEGA Cosmos is currently available on cable in the US, so even if DirecTV drops it they will still have a presence (albeit a much smaller one).

IF they decide to go the cable route (and I know we are into speculation area here) they need to move fast to expand as their current cable presence is too limited. At a minimum they should be in as many systems as ANTENNA, and if they end up with no satellite distributor they should be in even more.

Any Greek channel that signs with Dish Network has to be on one off Antennas packages that's the only way Dish will sign them on. Antenna Group they know how to market there Channels and make money they do not jump satellite providers from Dish to Directv and back on Dish..

DKSat

Any Greek channel that signs with Dish Network has to be on one off Antennas packages that's the only way Dish will sign them on.

Sounds like Antenna is still calling all the shots on Dishnet, which means don't look for MEGA to show up there anytime soon. I believe the reason MEGA left in the first place was because they were unhappy with how the channel was being offered which appears to be directly related to the amount of influence Antenna appears to have with Dish Network?! That being said, MEGA Cosmos is now being distributed by a different company so its possible a deal could be worked out?! Greek Media Group should take their channels to GlobeCast WTV, if PCCW Global can ever get ERT World on Galaxy 19, then you would have a good package with the addition of the GMG channels.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the saga continues. As I had mentioned in the other thread, I started a topic on satelliteguys.us forum concerning the Greek channels on DirectTV. Aside from some speculation, an employee the other day said that he looked into their order system for setting up new accounts with Greek packages, and it was still selectable, although they usually send over such requests to their internationals group. He has responded today that as of 1/1/11 it is no longer selectable though.

I wonder how this will turn out now.

Sounds like Antenna is still calling all the shots on Dishnet, which means don't look for MEGA to show up there anytime soon. I believe the reason MEGA left in the first place was because they were unhappy with how the channel was being offered which appears to be directly related to the amount of influence Antenna appears to have with Dish Network?! That being said, MEGA Cosmos is now being distributed by a different company so its possible a deal could be worked out?! Greek Media Group should take their channels to GlobeCast WTV, if PCCW Global can ever get ERT World on Galaxy 19, then you would have a good package with the addition of the GMG channels.

If you want to get subscribers in the US, then you have to go to dishnetwork and deal with Antenna. The Greek channels got greedy and thought that the subscribers would carry two dishes or jump ship from dishnetwork. They were wrong as most people kept dishnetwork. If Mega wants to be successful, they have no choice but to jump to dishnetwork and deal with antenna. Going to globecast or some sort of other satellite company, is not going to work. My parents aren't going to get globecast. They didn't get directv either. But if Mega comes back to dishnetwork, they would subscribe once again. I'm sure most people are like that.

• 4 weeks later...

i still have DirecTV & still have Greek channels

It appears as though the Greek service will continue to be available until the contract DirecTV signed with these channels ends?! I wonder when this deal expires, is it months or years?! This could be why there has been no word about MEGA Cosmos possibly moving to Dishnet- the contract with DirecTV must not have ended yet.

On a similar note, anyone know if RCN Cable still offers Star International or Alter Globe?! These channels are no longer listed on their website but Greek Media Group still lists them as being available on RCN which means the contract hasn't expired yet?!

On a similar note, anyone know if RCN Cable still offers Star International or Alter Globe?! These channels are no longer listed on their website but Greek Media Group still lists them as being available on RCN which means the contract hasn't expired yet?!

Neither is offered anymore on RCN. Greek Media Group follows the responsible steps of its previous owners.

As for Directv, I don't see them offering MEGA COSMOS for years without adding any more subscribers, not with transponder slots being at such a premium.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone with DirecTV confirm that GMTV is still on the air?! I notice that their website www.gmtv.us no longer exists and was wondering if this channel has shut down?! I am not sure if the site has been shut down or if its been hacked as the title at the top of the page still says 'GMtv Greek Music Television'?! :huh:

With DirecTV no longer offering Greek channels, I didn't expect this channel to last long (I doubt Dish would pick it up) so it wouldn't surprise me if it has shut down?! The GMG website is useless as it has outdated information, the GMTV page still lists it as being available on DirecTV and there is still a link to the site. :rolleyes:

It is still on the air, and I see no disruption in the programing guide either. For example when Alpha Sat left DirecTV, the programming guide after Dec 31st said "Channel no longer available" or something similar.

Maybe they just let the site expire, they hadn't updated it in such a long time anyway. It seems after their first attempt to actually create a presence with the channel, they just gave up within a few months. (It is still a decent channel though, it plays a lot of older stuff, in comparison with Blue which plays mostly newer stuff.) OR.....it could be an indication that the channels are about to shift to Dish, and they won't pick up GMTV for obvious reasons. :1eye: :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

Mega Cosmos and Alter Globe contract with Directv was to expire on March 31.

DKSat

I think you have a typo DKSat, do you mean the contract for MEGA/Alter 'will' expire on Mar. 31?! If so then that means the Greek package on DirecTV will be gone by the end of the month as the only channel left will be GMtv and I don't think they will leave one channel up- I assume GMtv will shut down once MEGA/Alter are removed?!

I wonder if MEGA/Alter will move back to Dish Network soon?!

Wow, crazy how things turned out! I wonder where they will head next. I really hope Mega at least heads to Dish Network. Any news on their new home DK?

I hope it is not some lesser service, or something not widely available...

Of course Greek Media Group mentions nothing on their site yet. <_<

The contract for Mega /Alter/ Gmtv will expire on Mar. 31 , If Greek Media Group be able to negotiate a new contract with directv the will stay there other wise Mega Cosmos will go to dish network.

As for Alter and Gmtv things look very grim if they do not get a new contract with Directv.

DKSat

Hmm, thanks for the information, let's see how this will go. Called up DirecTV too, and they confirmed the channels will no longer be available as of April 1st. I can see Mega being appealing to Dish, but like you said not so much Alter in its current form, and probably definitely not GMTV since they already have Blue.

I just hope that if they do not re-negotiate with DirecTV (I am doubting they will), then some of the channels, or at least Mega, moves to Dish Network and not some obscure other platform.

The contract for Mega /Alter/ Gmtv will expire on Mar. 31 , If Greek Media Group be able to negotiate a new contract with directv the will stay there other wise Mega Cosmos will go to dish network.

As for Alter and Gmtv things look very grim if they do not get a new contract with Directv.

DKSat

So in the end all of this was just to make a big mess for Greek tv viewers, have people buy a second dish, and fork over a lot more money for two platforms than they did when all were on one only to end up with all on dish again. Thank you, Directv and Greek Media Group.

I really, truly, hope that Dish has asked the MEGA COSMOS people to crawl on broken glass their way back to its platform. :LOL:

In the overall scope of things, it was all for nothing, (a 4 year run only) which sucks for everyone....But don't forget the situation back then that prompted them to move. (besides the $$$ and greed like usual) Plus from what has been written, it was a different group back then, and Greek media group bought them out.

It wasn't too long ago that it looked like ERT was going be on DirecTV too, and Dish would be left with just Ant1. I guess the final nail in the coffin for DirecTV was Alpha's move. (which is when they took down the packages from their site as well) Platform wars.....I still don't understand why all these channels have exclusive deals and not offered everywhere.

Anyway, as much as I like DirecTV's quality and customer service (their CS isn't outsourced like Dish's and they don't "read from a script"), I would ultimately like to see the channels on one platform again, and currently the best option is Dish. Let's see what happens. Like I said, I hope they don't end up on some obscure platform instead.

Archived