Phantis Forums

Greece-Israel

Crazy

The fan in me is pleased with the result and some of the attacking football we played, but there's also a part of me that also has numerous concerns from a tactical perspective. Going forward we looked lively in the first half, but they were also abysmal at the back and I'm really not keen on Salpi as a lone striker. He's too small. It worked today in the first half because they were playing a disorganised high line and our through-balls were tearing them apart, but better opposition would have tracked him and dealt with him. So in my opinion the balance is still wrong up front. Defensively we were shambolic and porved we desperately need Kyrgiakos back but Papasta still has an awful lot to learn and Avraam isn't good enough as a defender. I've been saying for a while that I think he should be converted to a holding midfielder (he started off his career as an attacking midfield before being converted to a centre-back) and part of me feels vindicated tonight. At one point he picked up the ball in the midfield position, beat a player and played a beautiful through ball. That showed his ability on the ball. Then two minuted later he showed why he isn't a defender misjudging the flight of the ball when defending. We were more entertaining overall but how effective were we at home to a "below average to mediocre" team?

Very effective because we outplayed them entirely and won.

You can pick out all the mistakes the team makes during the course of the match and focus on that but don't forget this is a new team with a new coach. Things aren't going to be absolutely perfect. I don't think the defense was abysmal. Shakey at times yes but abysmal no. And it would be nice to get Kyriakos back and also Moras! Also we're not very deep up front: thats why it would be good to get Gekas back as well!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did we really outplay them? We did in the first half and in the 2nd they were on top. They also had 3 penalty appeals yesterday, 1 was clearly a dive, the other two were good shouts, particularly the handball. Our penalty was really soft though. If they'd been awarded a penalty and we went 1-2 down what would you be saying now?

1 - On the 7th minute Papasta made a mistake to be dispossessed by Rafaelov then made Vintra look stupd before shooting wide (it was 0-0 at the time).

2 - Their goal came from Kafes and Spyropoulos falling asleep as well as Avraam being poorly positioned.

3 - On 64 mins both Avraam and Papastathopoulos stupidly tried to slide tackle Rafaelov (both of them!) leaving Vermouth open. Rafaelov slid him in and his shot hit the post.

4 - On 89 mins Israel had the ball on the left wing, 6 of our players (including Katsouranis and Kafes) fell deep into our box and left a HUGE hole in midfield (the edge of the box). The ball was played to Rafaelov on the edge of the box. He dummied to shoot before rolling the ball to his left to leave a sliding Vintra in his wake (2nd time he made him look stupid. He looks like a really good player) before blazing over the bar.

That's 4 big chances plus their 3 penalty appeals, one of which was definitely a penalty and the other could have been given. They could have ended up scoring 3 or 4, or if you take all this into account, 7! That is shambolic, not shakey. Bare in mind Israel are weak, we were at home and had more possession. Now imagine we were away, against a strong team and we had less possession! We were terrible at the back. I wouldn't give any of our defenders higher than a 4 out of 10

Euro's right, Salpi while sprinting pulls his ahamna and thus misses the first goal, Karagounis breaks his leg while shooting and the ball ends up a mile high....the truth be told we actually lost 7-0, so we might as well not even show against Malta, all's lost!

Clover, indeed bravo ston Santos. No doubt the team needs steady and methodical improvements but it's refreshing to see more imaginative play out of them, unlike under Otto.

Euro's right, Salpi while sprinting pulls his ahamna and thus misses the first goal, Karagounis breaks his leg while shooting and the ball ends up a mile high....the truth be told we actually lost 7-0, so we might as well not even show against Malta, all's lost!

Clover, indeed bravo ston Santos. No doubt the team needs steady and methodical improvements but it's refreshing to see more imaginative play out of them, unlike under Otto.

Be as sarcastic as you like. Your sarcasm shows a lack of footballing knowledge and an inability to have a meaningful conversation about tactics.

If Brazil played a Phantis dream team with you in goal, me and Genome up front, Mangas 21 right wing, Irlandos left thrylos in centre mid with george21. Pao123 in central defence, etc. and we play Brazil and they beat us 2-1 but we created 7 great opportunities while Brazil created more. Would you consider it a good performance? When analysing a performance you have to take the quality of opposition into account.

Irlandos, how are you sir? We certainly don't have a world class keeper but Sifakis is pretty good and still young. Tzorvas is fairly young for a keeper too. I still think Chiotis deserves a chance as does Eleftheropoulos but i do have faith in Sifakis for now

Euro, I was not being sarcastic, I was having a bit of fun with what you wrote. Where as you are being offensive by telling me I have no football tactic knowledge as you are in no position to make such statement based upon some forum light hearted comments.

But back on the subject, our ifs, buts, or maybys don't get it done. Nor do our imaginary line-ups and our second guessing Santos on which player he should use where. What gets it done, or not, is his strategy, team preparation, and the players' efforts on the field. All the rest as we used to say is trixes katsares!

BTW if we Pahntis Internationals played Brazil we would loose 24-0 so there would be no ambiguity whatsoever on how good our performance was....has that score ever been achieved before or would we have the protia there. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Euro, I was not being sarcastic, I was having a bit of fun with what you wrote. Where as you are being offensive by telling me I have no football tactic knowledge as you are in no position to make such statement based upon some forum light hearted comments.

But back on the subject, our ifs, buts, or maybys don't get it done. Nor do our imaginary line-ups and our second guessing Santos on which player he should use where. What gets it done, or not, is his strategy, team preparation, and the players' efforts on the field. All the rest as we used to say is trixes katsares!

BTW if we Pahntis Internationals played Brazil we would loose 24-0 so there would be no ambiguity whatsoever on how good our performance was....has that score ever been achieved before or would we have the protia there. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah I have to agree. Too many fantasy "what-ifs" Euro; come on man. You'll see this team stay on track and start kicking some serious ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived