Phantis Forums

Barca v. Panathinaikos

athinaios

Euro2004:

Yes, OBVIOUSLY they ran less than any other team. Figures are higher becuse in other games for other teams, theres FORWARD movements. We barely had posession or forward movements, logically there would be less km per player. If your running around on HALF the field as opposed to the WHOLE field.....You run less distance.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were the coach, I'd like to see how much the players ran. There may be a bad sign. Poor conditioning isn't good when you play a great team.

As for being tired (assuming that most PAO players had the proper endurance).... it's true that when you chase the other team and have only 20% of ball possession you get tired a lot faster.

Awful PAO performance, granted Barca had a lot to do with it, but not being able to string 2 passes together is miserable.

Another thing I observed: our players had no options. OK, the opponets mark well, but when, say Letto, had the ball there was nobody withing 20 yards for support. It's pointless. You can't run down the field with the ball dribling 7-8 players when there's no support. The defenders worry only about you and they eat you alive.

Clearing the ball.... Another problem for us. Noblias has to figure out why every time the players cleared the ball (often only 15 meters out of the box) always the ball went to a Barca player! They had the same number of players, no?

Yes, once we were down by a couple, Noblias should have tried to keep the score. Goal differential counts. The team, yesterday could NOT do anything else but defending. I don't care if you got Iniesta, Xavi and Mesi to change into a green jersey after 3-1, PAO wouldn't hold the center or do anything but defend in their half of the field.

Anyway, the good news is that this first game we expected to lose; not by this much but it's done now. This is not the disastrous game. The ones against the other 2 teams may turn out to be if we don't shape up.

At least we can win the league game now...:) everytime we do well in Europe we come home and we suck (drop points) in the next league game... :P

Several times Leto would run up the left, dribble around, get an opportunity to pass the ball to someone but instead kept it and wasted a chance. He can be good at keeping possesion but sometimes just delivers a lousy pass or doesn't know when to pass at all. Thats why getting rid of Ivansich was so stupid.

If 5-1 isn't a disaster then what is? 10-1? 15-1? Why because its just the 1st game and we can recover? Give me a break; we're not a B team from Belarus. This is absolutely pathetic and disgusting from this "team." Thats what you get when you have a group of corrupt scumbags running (ruining) the organisation for years.

I think one of these zapping dog collars could work with Leto. He is fantastic on the driblle, but can't time his passing.

If he wore a collar, the coach (or better yet, me) could just zap him when it's time to give the ball. With time, he will get used to the timing and then he won't need the collar :LOL:

Euro2004:

Yes, OBVIOUSLY they ran less than any other team. Figures are higher becuse in other games for other teams, theres FORWARD movements. We barely had posession or forward movements, logically there would be less km per player. If your running around on HALF the field as opposed to the WHOLE field.....You run less distance.

actually the team with less possession always runs more (unless they are lazy and get torn apart). Let's say team X is playing a rigid 4-5-1 formation but team Y is dominating possession. Team Y will move the ball horizontally to drag team X out of position to find gaps in between them. If Team X's players don't ran to close those gaps then they will get torn apart, just like we did! Look at Messi's first goal for instance. Simao should have been running to close down Xavi, he didn't and allowed him to play the pass. Then Vintra should have run to track Messi's run. He didn't and it was 1-1 as a result. The ball covers more distance than any player does and it gets from A to B much quicker, so logic says that the team with more possession runs less than the team without the ball. In a competitive game, not one that finishes 5-1, that is always the case

Archived