Phantis Forums

Croatia-Greece

Omonoia9

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only able to see the 2nd half because of work but it's a great result. If we'd beaten Georgia we'd have been delighted now. Papastathopoulos was great, Tzavellas played well too. Karagounis was very economical in midfield too, just like he was away in the Ukraine. So it was a good night overall. We need to work on the home formation though and i'm hoping for a 3-5-2. With this result and Israel only managing a draw in Georgia, we're back on track :tup:

as a post game observations - santos showed some flexibility and an understanding of playing behind the ball vs. what he tried in Georgia...when i saw the subs it was clear to me he was going otto-ish for this game, showing more respect for croatias attacking ability...i found interesting that he made changes in personel to try and execute a more defensive scheme today rather than leave in a more offensive personel and expect them to play defense......or did he see that spiro/seit are liabilites on defense and/or offesne? i dont know...?!

problem is we are absolutely woeful on offense when we play behind the ball...no midfield play to enable any transition whatsoever....pele would get booed with our midfield....

we are much more comfy playin defense rather than pushing up higher...its a more natural posture both mentallly and skill wise...i think once santos finds the right balance of correct players, we will see a little better, more fluid transition into attack mode....

although he said "new style" today was nothin but otto-esque in the way they played...dont mind that, but midfield is a huge problem for us...and now we arent even dangerous in the air anymore - no kyriakos/haristeas, etc....so our build needs to be addressed....

torosidi is being wasted...he is easily the fastes and most skilled player we have and yet he disappears for long stretches at a time...i would like to see him more involved...

not surpirsed by todays result as i mention pre-game, but i did hope for a little more "danger" produced by our offense...but it was non existent...

as a post game observations - santos showed some flexibility and an understanding of playing behind the ball vs. what he tried in Georgia...when i saw the subs it was clear to me he was going otto-ish for this game, showing more respect for croatias attacking ability...i found interesting that he made changes in personel to try and execute a more defensive scheme today rather than leave in a more offensive personel and expect them to play defense......or did he see that spiro/seit are liabilites on defense and/or offesne? i dont know...?!

problem is we are absolutely woeful on offense when we play behind the ball...no midfield play to enable any transition whatsoever....pele would get booed with our midfield....

we are much more comfy playin defense rather than pushing up higher...its a more natural posture both mentallly and skill wise...i think once santos finds the right balance of correct players, we will see a little better, more fluid transition into attack mode....

although he said "new style" today was nothin but otto-esque in the way they played...dont mind that, but midfield is a huge problem for us...and now we arent even dangerous in the air anymore - no kyriakos/haristeas, etc....so our build needs to be addressed....

torosidi is being wasted...he is easily the fastes and most skilled player we have and yet he disappears for long stretches at a time...i would like to see him more involved...

not surpirsed by todays result as i mention pre-game, but i did hope for a little more "danger" produced by our offense...but it was non existent...

We did have some chances, Samaras wasted them.

Said it before and will say it again.

We don't have the midfield to play the game properly.

Plus we really miss Kyrgiakos.

Lineup should be

--------SIFAKIS/TZORVAS

VYNTRA-PAPA--KYRGIAKOS--TZAVELLAS

----------TOROSIDIS---TZIOLIS

----------NINIS----KARA/KATSOU (NOT BOTH)--SALPIGGIDIS

---------SAMARAS

A 4-2-3-1

OUTSIDE MIDS ARE ATTACKING WINGS

omonia whats up...

the first was a give away - and if u saw the replay it was from a very difficult angle with a defender in front of him...would not call that wasted.

the second was actually better chance though not the type of build up / attacking style that i would characterize as fluid or purposeful...we caught on the counter when they were pressing for the win...it was an odd man rush (3 on 2) ...dont know why he did not pass it back or why they did not communicate to take advantage of it....

wasted is what salpi did against georgia after a decent build up - he was given a cross on a silvr platter all he had to do was tap it in...goalie nowhere in sight....that was a wasted chance...

thrylo - 10000% correct...mids are the key....without them even giorgio chinalia could nt help us

we need a guy like stoltidis to run the show....(recent) why otto nixed him i never know

omonia whats up...

the first was a give away - and if u saw the replay it was from a very difficult angle with a defender in front of him...would not call that wasted.

the second was actually better chance though not the type of build up / attacking style that i would characterize as fluid or purposeful...we caught on the counter when they were pressing for the win...it was an odd man rush (3 on 2) ...dont know why he did not pass it back or why they did not communicate to take advantage of it....

wasted is what salpi did against georgia after a decent build up - he was given a cross on a silvr platter all he had to do was tap it in...goalie nowhere in sight....that was a wasted chance...

thrylo - 10000% correct...mids are the key....without them even giorgio chinalia could nt help us

we need a guy like stoltidis to run the show....(recent) why otto nixed him i never know

By no means am I blaming him, but the few chances we did have were his. The one in added time particularly stands out. If you must shoot(and he had passing options), at least get some velocity on your shot. Instead it rolled straight in on Runje, easy save.

ok then i will blame him....lol

i give him a pass (pun intended) on the first one...the opportunity came quickly and he had very little time or support (thats the real problem)

the second, there is no excuse for not looking up and giving the trailers, who much better angles and more room, a chance to do somethng - even a simple 1-2 would have been an imrpovement

that samaras crap at the end was pitiful, unintelligent play.

Has anybody hear actually played football? As a striker or a goalkeeper?

Have you ever tried shooting from the corner of the area? Anybody knows its a very, very low percentage shot. Almost nothing.

The only times you'll see something go in from a 45 degree angle from the corner are if a keeper is off position, and there is a BLAST in the upper corner ---- or where you open your stance and curl it far post.

100% of low, weak shots to the near post from the top corner are the equivalent of shooting the ball to the corner flag.

Not to mention, the shot was between 2 defenders....It never had a chance.

Ninis was sitting alone, in space on the top center of the area. A player like Ninis (or any international level player) with time and space there can make a very threatening chance. But Samaras opted to shoot in between two players on a shot he never had any chance on. Beacuse Samaras has no brain. He's quick with good touch but hes always been a very unintelligent football player.

Archived