Phantis Forums

U-19 NT (Neon)

Ziaka

So far so good for our young men, we performed well or average in the tournament with the exception of the refs "butchering" us with some stupid calls such as the penalty vs. Italy and the sent off of Sotiris Ninis. I am very confident that our players will step it up and give there very best in there final match with England. Let's beat them gamoto. ;)

So far so good for our young men, we performed well or average in the tournament with the exception of the refs "butchering" us with some stupid calls such as the penalty vs. Italy and the sent off of Sotiris Ninis. I am very confident that our players will step it up and give there very best in there final match with England. Let's beat them gamoto. ;)

Ninis is a big loss. I see a third a draw, which will eliminate us.

Can someone also please tell me why Bouzanis hasn't featured yet?

Limp game by the boys. Defensive football, a la Otto, which once again proved useless. Alexiou failed in this game as he did not set the tone early in putting ENG on their back heels.

We were lucky to only lose by 3 as our goalie made some great saves, which may explain why Bouzanis did not play. No fault of the goalie. Header off a corner for the first ENG goal, penalty (stupid play by our defender) for the second and turned off the tv in disgust and so missed the 3rd.

All in all the loss of Ninis was a triple whammy, lose the best player, lose the game and had we even tied Italy in points, we would have not qualified based on ITA's fair play advantage.

Great coaching job Alexiou....

• 3 months later...

Greece recover from defeat in Sarajevo

Greece recovered from an opening defeat by Bosnia-Herzegovina to lead their opponents through to the UEFA European Under-19 Championship Elite round.

Greece top

Having lost 2-1 to the qualifying round Group 10 hosts in Sarajevo, Greece – aiming to reach their third consecutive U19 finals – went on to defeat Montenegro 1-0 and Poland 2-0 in their subsequent games. Bosnia-Herzegovina drew with both sides to finish second behind Greece, one point ahead of Poland.

Source + full article at uefa.com.

• 3 weeks later...

my parents also taught me about alexander the great and other greek history plato etc etc, that doesn't make me a nationalist, if he benefits the greek national team then i say let him play, if he was anti greek he wouldn't want to play for greece. other nations benefit from foreign players its about time we did too, we missed out on castillo, if this player is any good i say let him play.

I agree with Euro2004's post.

I live in Australia and the FYROM community has this intense anti-Greek agenda. They are pursuing this revision of history to suit their politcal goals and by playing ball with this kid, this whole fiasco has the potential to embarrass us.

Let me guess, he has a Greek passport because a grandparent of his is Greek born and when they migrated to Australia they finally realised that their Slavophone background translates into them being "Macedonian" and they have a direct link to the Ancient Kingdom of Philip and Alexander? Pure and utter deluded propaganda!!!

Nothing more than politics and false representation of history. It's an insult to the history of Greece to allow this kid to use the NT for his personal ambitions.

This kid should never have been selected.

From a pure football perspective, how good is he that he can walk into the squad?

The lunatics and apathetic are running EPO.

i see so its purely political reasons why you don't want him to play for greece. if he was say german or brazilian you'd have no problems with it. but because of the current politcal situation with the 2 countries (which was not caused by the player concerned) you don't want a player that could potentialy benefit greece.

i'm sorry i can't get emotionally attatched to political situations and decide whether i like someone based on political climate, all i see is a player that might benefit greece.

i see so its purely political reasons why you don't want him to play for greece. if he was say german or brazilian you'd have no problems with it. but because of the current politcal situation with the 2 countries (which was not caused by the player concerned) you don't want a player that could potentialy benefit greece.

i'm sorry i can't get emotionally attatched to political situations and decide whether i like someone based on political climate, all i see is a player that might benefit greece.

No I don't want a player who does not consider himself Greek and share the values of a Hellene. Call it political or whatever you like.

I couldn't care how good he is. He is using the Greek passport for his own reasons and he would disrespect the shirt and the anthem that is played prior to every match he took the field.

He may have not created the issue, but he is perpetuating the propaganda of FYROM and these apologists and there is politics in everything. Be it Otto not selecting Tavlaridis or whatever.

I'm hardly a right wing patriot on issues involving who is Greek or ethnicity or NT matters.

I wanted Nery Castillo to play for Greece. I have no problem with Panagiotis Kone or Muslims representing Greece, what I take exception with is this Australian raised guy misrepresenting the whole issue purely for individual gain to further his career.

You clearly have no idea the extent that FYROM and their apologists have created in countries outside of Greece with their revising of history and anti-Greek agenda.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Group 3

Turkey

Portugal

Greece

Denmark

23/05 Turkey 18:00 Greece

23/05 Portugal 18:00 Denmark

25/05 Turkey 18:00 Denmark

25/05 Greece 18:00 Portugal

28/05 Portugal 18:00 Turkey