Phantis Forums

U-19 NT (Neon)

Ziaka

GREECE 1-0 PORTUGAL

Nikolaos Nioplias, Greece coach

It was a fair result; Portugal were very dangerous from crosses, especially in the first half and we lost our way a bit after the goal but that's normal. We wanted to protect the result and it's natural you become more nervous then while some players picked up yellow cards so they had to be more careful and were a bit afraid. It's good to start with a win, it gives the team confidence; they knew they were a good team and now they have more evidence of that. We played well today but we'll have to do so again on Wednesday if we want another win.

Edgar Borges, Portugal coach

My players are heroes to play in such warm weather. The match was very even, we both had chances and Greece played as we expected - they're a very strong team. Our first-half strategy was to calm the match and to play harder in the second half, make the ball do the work. However, we had to try everything to win the match after falling behind; Greece had more luck than us in the end but the fairest result would have been a draw. Small details made the difference today; Greece are a good team but they had more luck in the final third of the pitch because they scored a goal and we didn't even though the teams had the same amount of chances. Their goalkeeper made two great saves and we have to underline that. (The Portugal coach said Greece was lucky. How can that be if Greece had more shots, more shots on target, and a higher ball posession? Maybe he is one of the sore losers in that picture with the anti-Greece banner)

Rehhagel will be at the Wednesday match with Austria...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/n...sid=561680.html

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/n...sid=561976.html

Edited by plato-ny

Final score GREECE - Austria 1-1

Greek goal scored by Mitroglou inthe 15th minute. Austria tied it with penalty kick.

Also Spain - Portugal 1-1, which means that we have the following standings:

1. Greece 4

2. Spain 4

3. Austria 1

4. Portugal 1

All we need is a tie in the last game against Spain to make the semifinals.

i watched the game through tw1.at and i saw both halves. the first half we outplayed them by far and the second half we were utterly uncreative.

on a side note, Dimoutsos received a 2nd yellow in 2 games and will miss the last game against spain and ioannidis got a straight red.

Also Ninis was limping the last 5 minutes of the game.

Ardoutsos, our goalie from Atromitos seems to have also been hurt quite bad, maybe even a broken arm. Then again the play by play was in Austrian and the peeps from Supersport Suck. so i cant say for sure

Final score GREECE - Austria 1-1

Greek goal scored by Mitroglou inthe 15th minute. Austria tied it with penalty kick.

Also Spain - Portugal 1-1, which means that we have the following standings:

1. Greece 4

2. Spain 4

3. Austria 1

4. Portugal 1

All we need is a tie in the last game against Spain to make the semifinals.

Not necessarily. We could lose and still advance because of the goal difference between us and Austria should Austrai win. They would have to pound Portugal in the next match

Spain 4 3-1

Greece 4 2-1

Portugal 1 1-2

The result today was fair, but it could have been worse. As Nikovazelo pointed out Greece had a great first half and a non-excisting second half. There was no creativity from Greece, they didn't show some life out there in the second half. The penalty call was a bit harsh, the Greek player (forgot his name) barely pulled his jersey while attempting to get in front of position to get to the ball, he let his jeresy go as the Austrian flopped and the ref bought it. Tough luck! :(

Greece is in a good position, only a draw or win is what Greece can only think of, we're not taking chances on a loss to assume we're thru to the semifinals. :nono:

It was an ugly game.

AUSTRIA 1-1 GREECE

Hermann Stadler, Austria coach

Both sides fought hard. I was really happy with our spirit but for the first 25 minutes we were terrible, too slow and launched too many high balls. We didn't want to play like this because we knew the Greece defence are very strong in the air. We had a good chance to score at the end of the first half and we would have deserved an equaliser then but as it was we went in a goal down. Our two changes at half-time improved us a lot and we prevented Greece from creating any good chances in the second half. We didn't have many either but with a bit more luck we could have got another goal and perhaps won the game. The atmosphere in the stadium was sensational. I've been here for other games but it was never as good as it was today.

Nikolaos Nioplias, Greece coach

Austria were the better team in a physical sense but we started very well and could have killed off the match if we would have gone 2-0 ahead. We played very well for 45 minutes, and had two great chances at the end of the first half, but the game changed in the second half. Austria knew they would be out if they lost and their coach did a good job. They altered their approach and pressed forward to create more chances but although they had lots of the ball, they didn't create many openings. I'm very happy with the result, it's a good result for us and qualification for the semi-finals is in our own hands. That's all you can ask.

90% chance of going through to the next stage of the competition... As long as we don't flounder completely in the match against Spain.

We just need to keep playing the soccer that Nioblias has taught the kids and go from there.. :gr: :gr: :gr: :box: :box: :gr: :gr: :gr: :nw:

I'm still disappointed that NO GREEK TV is televising these NT games

SHAME :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Greece goalkeeper Apostolos Androustos has been ruled out of the remainder of the UEFA European Under-19 Championship after it was revealed that the 17-year-old has broken a bone in the index finger of his right hand.

Too bad i heard the kid was wicked so far

Its probably the worst I've seen us play but the team did what was necessary. Solid at the back led by a brilliant performance by Papastathopoulos at the back. Only criticism I have of him is that he looks for the long ball far too often. If AEK work with him to teach him to play the simple ball to midfield he'd be ready for the NT imo. Mitroglou also looked good on the ball, although he wasnt involved much. Ninis had a poor game but his disappointment at being subbed was evident and that shows that he recognised his contribution wasnt good enough. We look solid and we know that in Mitroglou and Ninis we can cause problems going forward. With a bit of luck we could go all the way.

From a negative sense, the passing wasnt up to scratch, particularly Koutsianikoulis (number 13) who couldnt pass the ball for s%$#!!! We have to work on that as well as our tempo.