Phantis Forums

Greece-Georgia

Omonoia9

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt expect to win this game to be honest. We don't hardly have a team yet, and Santos is no genius...

At least Seitaridis seems back for PAO and Greece, which is good news. Vyntra needs to be gone.

Spyropoulos is simply abysmal....wasteful with the ball, bad on defense...its really time for Tzavellas to start moving in. I don't care that Spyro scored, that was just a matter of luck.

We are definitley missing Amanatidis as an option to make chances for us.

I blame Kyrgiakos for tonight's game. A true teammate doesn't abandon his team when they need him the most, there will be a time coming soon where kats, and kara will be leaving international play and that would have been a good time to announce that its over for him as well. Not after playing against Serbia with less then one month left before qualifying starts. Just shows his attitude on the game when the Liverpool coach says you are not in our plans and does very little to force a transfer. Maybe i am wrong but if Kyrgiakos was in the middle instead of Avraam then i dont believe Georgia would have scored that and it would have been a totally different game. Any word on when Platsiakas will be healthy again?

There's very little to be positive about to be honest. We were awful. The 4-4-2 diamond does not work for a variety of reasons:

1) Avraam and Papasta are not a good enough duo to play as a pairing with such little protection.

2) The diamond was too loose and the space in between them was huge so we essentially had a big gaping hole in the middle of the park. That meant that we couldn't disposses them when they had the people in midfield and it also meant our defenders were forced to launch the ball forward aimlessly because there was no outlet in midfield.

3) Samaras isn't good enough to play as the sole attacking midfielder. No Greek player is.

4) Because the ball was being launched forward aerially so often we were relying on the 2 small men, Salpi and Gekas, to win headers. Not going to happen!

5) A 4-4-2 diamond requires the full backs to fly forward and become wingers. Neither Spyropoulos nor Seitaridis have the dribbling skills or stamina to do this. This is why they were both getting the ball and instead of running forward they were just putting in crosses from the half way line.

This brings me on nicely onto Seitaridis. He is horrendous. He gets the ball and crosses it blindly into the box. He's dumb, passionless and very limited now. He's simply past his best and should never feature for the greek national team again unless there are numerous injuries. How on earth some people here are praising him is beyond me. Sorry guys, but were we watching the same game? He must have blindly crossed the ball about 35 times tonight and only one or two were decent deliveries.

We were better with a 4-3-3 but the team selection was poor again! Karagounis looked well off the pace and Ninis cannot play on the left. He's a right midfielder and can only play centrally in a 3-5-2. It's as simple as that. Mitroglou looked lively though and it's time he took Gekas' place. There's not much else i can say about the team.

As for Santos. I'm all for giving a manager time but Santos is annoying me very quickly indeed. He made more mistakes than Otto and didn't have any of his "pros". We started with a ridiculous formation and had a poor team selection. But then even when he tried to rectify it everything went wrong. Gekas was anonymous throughout, Seitaridis was poor and Karagounis was well off the pace. So what does he do? He takes off Samaras who looked like he might make something happen and left on the small men despite the fact that we were clearly looking for aerial crosses into the box.

Tactically it was abysmal, in terms of the general play it was embarrassing. Mark my words, we will not make it to Euro 2012. Croatia are a brilliant team and they'll cruise the group. We'll be in a dog fight with Israel for 2nd spot and even if we do make it we won't beat anyone in the play offs with the team looking like this

hmmmmmm.......

i actually predicted a loss....so, i cant say im surprised with this result and the difficulty the team showed....

anybody who ever defends avraaaaam has no credibility as far as i am concerned...sorry if i offended anyone (which i know i did) but i dont give a fck....how many more clear, obvious blatant examples do you need to see? the guy is caught flat footed and behind the play so often its getting comical...and if he wasnt fast he would be exposed even more...his instincts and feel for the game are absolutely awful...before the game i mentioned him in my comments as a half joke ( i always thought and think he has business on the team) and BAM ! three minutes he doesnt let me down !!!!! that;s my boy....the under and over on his m*****es per game is 4 1/2....

euros comments are spot on as normally is the case, except for one disagreement...balls down the middlw to guys that are 5 foot 8, sietaridis unable to dribble past everyone so he mindlessly lobs the ball down the middle..is this the new style we are to expect? where disagree, and only mildy is i am not ready to say we wont qualify, not yet...i think the next will show alot, both in terms of what santos does to correct things and how the player embrace the new system....true, if this is the best we can do, then we wont qualify...but i just think we can play a bit better and i need to see how santos reacts to this first real game...

on the other hand, i did see some glimpses of promise......and the fact that we ate teh first goal forced us to go on the offenseive much earlier in the contest...salpi missed a gift, and few other nice "build ups" - things we never really saw from the previous regime...its gonna take a while for this team to learn and be confident with this system to the point where the believe they can win with it...our defense looked like swiss cheese....

the players have been brainwashed for 8 years so the cement has to be broken so they learn how to execute a new more forward system...its gonna take time....u dont erase 8 years in one game....

also i think it times we find new leader, a new 10 to replace deNiro...i admire the guym but in 2 years he gonna need a walker, so better now to find a good 10 for the future....

again no midfield.........lets see how we do against croatia...

A really terrible game! I agree w/ Euro on some things here. The main problem I think was the player selection; this was a very "Otto" line up and we need to move out of this as quickly as possible. Samaras was the best player on the field because he was the only one playing creatively. What other creative players were in the starting line up? Toro? Kats? Salpi isn't and Seitaridis shouldn't even be on the team. So what did we have? Seitaridis running up the right, stopping, looking around, kicking the ball into some crowded area. Over and over again. This is idiot football 101. Toro was horrible in this game and we don't need 2 defensive mids in a game like this especially if they're not going to do anything. I didn't see the Serbia game but I was told we played pretty good, so why not try something closer to that? He started Ninis, he played Kafes...he's more attacking. Maybe starting Samaras and Mitroglou up front since Gekas couldn't control the freaking ball? Mitroglou entered the game and he was way better than Gekas and more dangerous. Seriously if they're this poor with this line up he has nothing to lose if he were to start more of the newer players! We have a ways to go and I'm sure things will improve.

By the way Santos if Seitaridis' agent is paying you to play him tell him to piss off. It'll be better for the team.

hmmmmmm.......

i actually predicted a loss....so, i cant say im surprised with this result and the difficulty the team showed....

anybody who ever defends avraaaaam has no credibility as far as i am concerned...sorry if i offended anyone (which i know i did) but i dont give a fck....how many more clear, obvious blatant examples do you need to see? the guy is caught flat footed and behind the play so often its getting comical...and if he wasnt fast he would be exposed even more...his instincts and feel for the game are absolutely awful...before the game i mentioned him in my comments as a half joke ( i always thought and think he has business on the team) and BAM ! three minutes he doesnt let me down !!!!! that;s my boy....the under and over on his m*****es per game is 4 1/2....

euros comments are spot on as normally is the case, except for one disagreement...balls down the middlw to guys that are 5 foot 8, sietaridis unable to dribble past everyone so he mindlessly lobs the ball down the middle..is this the new style we are to expect? where disagree, and only mildy is i am not ready to say we wont qualify, not yet...i think the next will show alot, both in terms of what santos does to correct things and how the player embrace the new system....true, if this is the best we can do, then we wont qualify...but i just think we can play a bit better and i need to see how santos reacts to this first real game...

on the other hand, i did see some glimpses of promise......and the fact that we ate teh first goal forced us to go on the offenseive much earlier in the contest...salpi missed a gift, and few other nice "build ups" - things we never really saw from the previous regime...its gonna take a while for this team to learn and be confident with this system to the point where the believe they can win with it...our defense looked like swiss cheese....

the players have been brainwashed for 8 years so the cement has to be broken so they learn how to execute a new more forward system...its gonna take time....u dont erase 8 years in one game....

also i think it times we find new leader, a new 10 to replace deNiro...i admire the guym but in 2 years he gonna need a walker, so better now to find a good 10 for the future....

again no midfield.........lets see how we do against croatia...

Ninis can play as a #10 and he did play in the middle - Kara shoved off to the left.

I wish i could be more optimistic mangas21 but in the time i've been watching greek football i've come to know the mentality well. Mentally store this and we'll discuss it again soon:

We will lose heavily in Croatia, i see a 3-0. Santos will be sacked shortly afterwards and the entire team will go to s%$#!! Even if Santos isn't sacked immediately the negative vibes will flow through the team once more and that will destruct us, it will just take a little longer to happen. In short, if we lose to Croatia we will not qualify, i'm pretty confident of that i'm afraid, particularly if Israel win in Georgia.

euro wazzup...listen you preachin to the choir...i think we see eye to eye about the mentality angle, not to mention that we both saw and discussed at length the post otto era turning into a circus....i am not optimistic for the reasons we raised prior and often...

im just willing to give him some slack - not much, but the croatia game will tell me alot...

i just think waht the previous regime brought - unity, discipline, continuity. steadiness - need to be maintained within the context of a new system...dont think santos has the personality to do that....he told me alot when he came out and announced "new style" "my way" etc. real brash, cocky, etc....even before he coached on real game...

i see the slow development of a "bordellaki".......but croatia game will be a crossroads in greek soccer

Archived