Phantis Forums

U-21 NT (Elpidon)

Ziaka

It's disappointing that the youth teams of recent memory haven't been able to translate their success to the senior team.

There was a team headed by Ninis and Mitroglou that made it far in the Euros and then another team w/ Katidis, Mavrias, etc a few years back that lost to Spain in the Euro final.

Sad to see a lot of these guys fall off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2018 at 6:36 AM, Soprano76 said:

It's disappointing that the youth teams of recent memory haven't been able to translate their success to the senior team.

There was a team headed by Ninis and Mitroglou that made it far in the Euros and then another team w/ Katidis, Mavrias, etc a few years back that lost to Spain in the Euro final.

Sad to see a lot of these guys fall off.

I agree it is sad to see these players not live up to expectations. Mitroglou has done fairly well for himself though. In the u21s Galanopoulos and Androutsos seem like they are the leaders and the most talented of this team. Hopefully if not all at least half these players make something of their career. Tsimikas looks like he has a big career ahead and Limnios is improving and is also very talented. 

I believe if Retsos and Donis were part of this team then I believe this team would go far in the Euro tournament. 

Given current midfield situation, never been a better time for these guys to make their mark in the Ethniki. In the past Katsouranis, Karagounis, Basinas, were players the coach wouldn't budge with, we are  certainly not in that situation anymore, barring Skibbe's obsession with Tziolis lol so anythings possible

• 4 months later...

saw the squad, overall it's good although there are some players missing who could improve us a lot.. goalkeeper stergiakis got injured, galanopoulos is booked (hence he's not on the senior nt as well), koulouris will play with the senior team etc. i think chatzigiovannis who's starting for pao and mouscron who's starting for a team in belgium could get called up as well. 

either way im confident they can beat czech republic and if no injuries or so against croatia next month, perhaps can take the so much needed draw. croatia have plenty of guys that already play in a high level so it will be hard. if only for the mistake of our goalkeeper last november we would have won them and would have already qualified...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...