Phantis Forums

U-21 NT (Elpidon)

Ziaka

Yes! Lovely win and we must be through to the World Cup in Denmark 2011 now :tup:

The standings (today's game hasn't been added to the standings yet).

http://www.uefa.com/under21/standings/roun...0016/index.html

Up to date this means that Greece has 16 points, England 11, so we are five points clear of second placed England. I believe we play eight games in total at this stage so we have only one game left, so if I'm correct we're through to the playoffs:

The ten group winners and four runners-up with the best record against the teams first, third, fourth and fifth in their sections advance to the play-offs, where seven two-leg ties will decide who joins hosts Denmark in the 2011 finals.

• 6 months later...

FYROM u21 - Greece u21 is being played now.

Greece are 2 points ahead of England with one game to play (this one for Greece and England play Lithuania at home, who they'll definitely beat). Novasports.gr is suggesting that Greece only needs a draw to get through to the next round (the play off round), i'm guessing that means head to head counts rather than goal difference?

At the moment it's 18 mins in, 0-0.

Does anybody know of any links showing the game?

Edited by Euro2004

FYROM 1-2 HELLAS!

Papazoglou with a goal on the 80th to surely all but seal our winning of the group :gr:

Final whistle, we won 1-2! Goals from Siovas (Panionios) and Papazoglou (PAOK). We will now play one of the best runners-up in a two legged play off. If we win that we make it to the finals in June (where there will be 8 teams, essentially meaning it's a quarter final spot).

Edited by Euro2004

Greece have been handed an extremely tough play-off draw, the Czech Rep, who were undefeated (won 7 drew 1) and were in Germany's group. If we win we make it to the finals tournament in Denmark next year but it will be tough. We'll have to pay particularly close attention to their captain and striker Tomas Pekhart of Jablonec who was the joint top scorer in qualifying with 7. We can do this if we have a full strength side but it's a big test

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sweden beat Portugal overnight to win the u21 European championship.

Consider the following: Greece beat Sweden 5-1 in Group 7 of the group stage. Due to some poor performances we missed out from top spot by 1 point.

I'm not suggesting that Greece would have been European Champions but they are at this level now.

I watched the game. Sweden got lucky. Portugal controlled the whole game, they had Sweden pegged back. They hit the post, and had so many shots. Sweden only really showed up in the last 10 mins.  Portugal should have been champs, but that is soccer,You don't score, you don't win.

I said it before but Greece should look at Portugal for inspiration on their youth teams. What is Portugal doing different? Portugal made it to the finals of the under 20 world cup 2 yrs ago losing to Brazil on Penalties, this year the under 20 world cup they went out in Penalties to Brazil in the quarters, unlucky because Portugal were the better team. At the under 21's they make the finals. They thrashed the Germans 5-0 in the semis. Clearly Portugal is doing something right.

I watch a lot of Portuguese football because my wife is Portuguese.  They have another golden generation of players coming up. Greece needs to follow the same program.

• 3 months later...

Nikopolidis has never shown himself to have a high football IQ as a player and he doesn't have strong experience as a coach/manager so the decision to make him the coach of potential future players is typical of the bone headed EPO and their bizarre decisions.

Portugal is probably the best at this level but we got demolished.

• 4 weeks later...