Phantis Forums

Euro 2016 France

haydar

Watched the first and last 20 of Iceland vs Hungary. Both teams played well, a shame about the OG. Austria is massively overrated, hopefully they're the ones that wash out of the group.

Ronaldo missing the PK was poetic justice. You want to act like a pompous prick with regards to Icelanding celebrations? No problem, now who's the fool? That's 2 "inferior" teams Portugal could not put away... I love watching them arrogantly squander all that talent while criticizing smaller teams for playing to their strengths... (They had the same attitude with us when we beat them twice in '04.. Den bazoun mialo)

They have earned the criticism they will be getting in spades...

• Like it 1

Group F, Italy, Belgium and Croatia matches are capturing my attention at these Euro's. 

As a neutral, the Iceland Hungary 1-1 was the best game for me. Iceland with white uniform are so white, they're like angels gliding on the field and fans have the best war cry. Hungary are not a power but look hungry, playing with a passion and desire you would want from your NT.

Today, Portugal had more chances to win a match than what Greece had to win a Euro. Santos must be shaking his head, thinking even the Greeks gave me 1-0 wins. Ronaldo is playing like an aristocrat, could take a leaf out of Italy who are playing like coal miners. As for Belgium. It's going to be tough for us, but I hope we learn by watching how Italy and Ireland played them.  

• Like it 2

True about Belgium but they do underachieve. So you don't know what you'll get. Same applies for the Ethniki.

The truth is that Ireland per player are not on the same page as Greece. Their keeper looks like an amateur and they are still playing a 36yo Keane.

Let's see which Ethniki turns up for the qualifiers.

Edited by Akritis_1944

The truth is that Ireland per player are not on the same page as Greece. Their keeper looks like an amateur and they are still playing a 36yo Keane.

A 36yo Keane sounds better to me than a similar vintage Karagounis. We're no better in this regard.

• Like it 1

Group F, Italy, Belgium and Croatia matches are capturing my attention at these Euro's. 

As a neutral, the Iceland Hungary 1-1 was the best game for me. Iceland with white uniform are so white, they're like angels gliding on the field and fans have the best war cry. Hungary are not a power but look hungry, playing with a passion and desire you would want from your NT.

Today, Portugal had more chances to win a match than what Greece had to win a Euro. Santos must be shaking his head, thinking even the Greeks gave me 1-0 wins. Ronaldo is playing like an aristocrat, could take a leaf out of Italy who are playing like coal miners. As for Belgium. It's going to be tough for us, but I hope we learn by watching how Italy and Ireland played them.  

really liked the Italians thus far. Portugal is still very much in it, so we shouldn't write them off right away.

I can catch the full games from my service provider but I don't have the time to catch a lot of them. Still very interested to watch highlights which are hard to come by.

Anyone find a good way to watch highlights on demand? I have access to both Rogers and Bell in Canada btw lol

True about Belgium but they do underachieve. So you don't know what you'll get. Same applies for the Ethniki.

to be fair to randolph he has had a decent run of games up til yesterday he was very good in the both play off games v bosnia and the first match calm composed against sweden.....yesterday the goals where not his fault at all!! did you even watch the match? or i bet you saw only the highlights!..our midfield was terrible mccarthy whelan let us down big time..the cohesion the chemistry between the defence and midfield was not there!! they had forgotten as almost what it was and can be/should be like!!!!..hence why long up top was so fustrated and isolated!!...........keane is legend his deserves to be there one last time and his not starter again pointless statement many country's have brought some of there veteran players before to the finals!...best of luck with belguim and bosina in the coming months B)

What is wrong with the shirts of the Swiss?

Already at least three shirts were torn to pieces in the first half.

Are the Puma shirts so bad or is this an experiment to show that opponents are always pulling shirts? :-)

Great win for them, they deserve it, althought 2 losses they have been one of he highlights of the tournament, pure commitment and passion, shows you what it means to your average joe players to be at the Euros compared to the pre-madonnas who just see it as another tournament.

• Like it 2

to be fair to randolph he has had a decent run of games up til yesterday he was very good in the both play off games v bosnia and the first match calm composed against sweden.....yesterday the goals where not his fault at all!! did you even watch the match? or i bet you saw only the highlights!..our midfield was terrible mccarthy whelan let us down big time..the cohesion the chemistry between the defence and midfield was not there!! they had forgotten as almost what it was and can be/should be like!!!!..hence why long up top was so fustrated and isolated!!...........keane is legend his deserves to be there one last time and his not starter again pointless statement many country's have brought some of there veteran players before to the finals!...best of luck with belguim and bosina in the coming months B)

Yes I did watch the match live and in full and Randolph didn't impress me albeit he wasn't really at fault for the goals. Truth is he performed better than Santos's pet Chalkias at Euro 2008.

As for Keane yes he's been very prolific but I was only pointing how when teams pull out their fading stars it's clutching at straws much like Greece relying on an aging Karagounis and Katsouranis.

As for fearing Bosnia. You make me laugh. Ireland beat them in the playoffs but so what?

The thing about Bosnia, is that they're all about mentality. If they believe, they'll play very very well. If they don't, they won't. This is in comparison to us, where we will (at the best of times) hope for a 1-0 win. People can talk all they want about Dzeko's decline, but he's still far and away better than Mitroglou. And their team actually has a midfield. They are no joke, ESPECIALLY compared to us at this point.

Once Greece wins three or four matches in a row, I'll declare our slump over and reassess.

• Like it 1

I'm thinking their goal difference of -2 will decide their fate. Don't think it will be enough.

It may not come to that. All they need is for Czechs to draw or lose to Turkey and for Ireland and Sweden to not win their matches.

Yes I did watch the match live and in full and Randolph didn't impress me albeit he wasn't really at fault for the goals. Truth is he performed better than Santos's pet Chalkias at Euro 2008.

As for Keane yes he's been very prolific but I was only pointing how when teams pull out their fading stars it's clutching at straws much like Greece relying on an aging Karagounis and Katsouranis.

As for fearing Bosnia. You make me laugh. Ireland beat them in the playoffs but so what?

who said anything about fear :huh: ...bosnia and belguim have to be respected no?..but please stop with the silly comparing it has no relevance to now or the future :)

Great win for them, they deserve it, althought 2 losses they have been one of he highlights of the tournament, pure commitment and passion, shows you what it means to your average joe players to be at the Euros compared to the pre-madonnas who just see it as another tournament.

Albania may not qualify for another major tournament for who knows how long ?  So f--k everything, f--k everyone, give it your best so when it's all over you can at least say you played your heart out.  I don't know if they deserved the 3 points, but they definitely deserved to score a goal which is probably all that the fans wanted.  The #10 shooing away the players running towards him made me laugh.  Dandenong must have been pumping.

Really not liking how they've decided to play 2 games at the same time. Bad for the viewers IMO 

they have to bro because its important to play with out knowing the other group match result before hand..it makes for an interesting finale...as nick said its been that way always and it should be as it makes sense :)

Edited by Green Man
  • Like it 2

Really not liking how they've decided to play 2 games at the same time. Bad for the viewers IMO 

they have to bro because its important to play with out knowing the other group match result before hand..it makes for an interesting finale...as nick said its been that way always and it should be as it makes sense :)

It's to stop something like this ever happening again.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

The Disgrace of Gij?n refers to the 1982 FIFA World Cup football match played between West Germany and Austria at the El Molin?n stadiumGij?n, Spain, on 25 June 1982. The match was the last game of the first-round Group 2, with Algeria and Chile having played the day before. With the outcome of that match already decided, a win by one or two goals for West Germany would result in both them and Austria qualifying at the expense of Algeria, who had beaten West Germany in the first game. After 10 minutes, West Germany took the lead. Thereafter, neither team scored, and few scoring chances were created, along with much own-half passing and few tackles: with both sets of players flamboyantly missing with apparently no attempt at accuracy whenever they shot on goal.[1]

As a result of this, and similar events at the previous World Cup in Argentina, FIFA revised the group system for future tournaments, so that the final two games in each group would be played simultaneously.[2] In German, the match is known as Nichtangriffspakt von Gij?n (lit. "Non-aggression pact of Gij?n") or Schande von Gij?n (lit. "Disgrace of Gij?n"),[3] in Dutch it is known as Het bedrog van Gij?n (lit. "The deceit of Gij?n), while in Algeria and the rest of the non-English speaking world it is known as the Anschluss (in reference to the unification of Austria and Nazi Germany in 1938).[4]

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

Yeah, just gotta hope for a multicast of some sort. I know Fox Soccer's apps offer it (and it's done decently well). It doesn't look like there's a similar ability on watchESPN for this tournament here in the states, though. Although I could have sworn they did a year or two ago?