Phantis Forums

New Coach for the Greek National Team?

thrylos

I'd be ok with him as coach. He's more trusted than a random outsider.....I would originally prefer Nioplias took over the job after Otto, but now he's at PAO.....

I think its really bad decision for Santos to leave PAOK after the squad he built..

I am sure Rehagel will get the job again, unless we are embarassed in the WC. If we give at least decent showing which we will....

He'll take the job, not only because he's the most succesful coach in history, knows the team, and more importantly he's willing to receive a pay cut, as afterall the national team is paid for by the government no?

Hmm as hard as it will be to swallow maybe a bad run at the WC will make those in power realise how awful Otto has been post Euro 2004 and realise that we need a new coach with fresh ideas and a different approach to the ethniki.

I'd defintely welcome Santos or someone like Hector Cuper if he was in anyway interested.

Let's face it we are not the Russian or Turkish FA who are flush with cash to go and get some high profile Dutchman etc.

The real sad thing is when ever I read a report or preview of the NT for this WC usually it's standard for the review to include things like "defensive, one dimensional, predictable" etc

This is why Otto must resign or be sacked or just not renewed as a manager.

• 1 month later...

A very interesting article for those of us that don't follow Greek football other than the NT:

http://www.tanea.gr/default.asp?pid=2&ct=5...5&artid=4582733

Much too late for the "powers that be" to be now stating the obvious and what's been wrong with the NT the past 6 years but better late than never I guess. Lets hope Santos does well by us but the expectations described in the article are much too great for any one football leader, I am afraid. Non-the-less it's a good start for the media to be repeating what we've been saying around here for years now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, lets just hope it's not another train that'll run over the hopes of millions.

I have no idea who the man even is Genome, today is the first I've heard of him. I just liked his winning spirit but he does sound like a man that won't put up with too much crap, won't cater to politics, plus money's not high on his priority list so he can not be bought and as a result not controllable. All the wrong characteristics for the Greek pnevma and the way of life don't you know :box:

BTW, these are all assumptions on my part though and you know what that word spells out :D

If anyone can fill us in on this guy I for one would appreciate it.....

I did a bit of net searching on the man, ta lei ekso apo ta dontia, but he's dead on when it comes to content. His delivery leaves a lot to be desired, typical argumentative loudmouth Greek attitude with a bit of Athinaiki maggia mixed in for good measure ....."I know better than anyone else so listen to me" type thinking, and that's quite a negative. Maybe more egoistis than Her Otto and we saw where that got us so maybe he's not the right man for the job after all. But I truly believe we should have a Greek in charge or else we run the risk of getting a guy that's there for $ and nothing else. Non of the all important patriotic disposition and I think all NTs need the nationalist pride of their flag at the helm.

On Santos, I hope he works out but there's something about the man that doesn't seat well with me, but I am judging purely by his face so I can be way off!! JMHO…..

Welcome Santos! I'm really looking forward to more progressive, positive, attacking and creative football with our NT. Santos knows the players plus he has experience so thats really important and points to better days ahead! Finally!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived