Phantis Forums

The new coach

Guest TheLegend

Well that is a good move from Oly but now the question is how long will he stay there? Not how long is the contract but how long is Kokalis going to keep him there!

You and I know that if this dude doesn't get outside of the group phase of the CL he's gone just like th rest of others..

I personally don't know what the hell all the "hoopla" is for this guy...

:tdown:

espanyol was an ok team this season but they had some pretty decent players. Oly should of gone for Laudrup from Getafe. forget about everything else, Getafe played some great football. i know pao is linked with him but oly was also looking for a coach. my top three free agents are Deschamps, Laudroup and Perrin.

The coach is not bad,he is like a Donis of spain in a way but i will like to see how many of his choice players Kokkalis will actually bring and what will happen to our targets so far from Greece(Kleiton,Avraam Papadopoulos and rest).

• 1 year later...

I know that we are months away from finding out for sure who the chosen one is going to be but i find it interesting to see who we think would be the best solution for the club.You can include only in your "dreams" kind of names,it is all good.

I believe that the ideal candidate would be Valverde.He has been here before,he knows what kind of players we have and what changes need to be made.He has proven that Olympiakos can play as a "team" and not have the anarchy and chaos that we have been witnesing all year long with Ketsbaia,Ziko and Badovic.He has the character and the way to controll his players and to keep the complaining and whining to a minimum.

The BEST candidate would be Dusan Bajevic.You give this man money and maybe his decisions with the foreign players are not always 100% correct but he can build good teams of greek vetarans and youths in no time.Plus his teams always play nice atractive style games,they are nice to watch damn it,isnt that the reason that we like the game anyway,wins and defeats are always in the program but i prefer to see my team play nice attacking soccer and maybe lose at the end that watch a bs game with half a scoring chance and consider that good game.

Plus his teams always play nice atractive style games,they are nice to watch damn it,

I disagree.

Also how do you see him leaving AEK for OSFP? Personally I don't think he'll leave AEK unless they fire him.

A good coach for OSFP would be Fatih Terim :D ... what is the man up to anyway after being fired from the Turkish NT?

Or what about Llorenc Sera Ferrer, the 2007-2008 AEK coach before Kostenoglou took over? What ever happened to him?

Well to be honest I don't see what the fixation with Valverde is from so many OSFP fans. If I was an OSFP fan I would have only one name in mind for my team (and that is all superstar coaches aside, I'm talking about a viable solution at this particular moment) and that is LEMONIS!

Lemonis has tried,twice and failed.Bajevic is what i would like but i know there is no way in hell that he would do that.Valverde is a guy that was succsesfull but left because of money and contract issues,not because of performance or players problems.

Lemonis has tried,twice and failed.Bajevic is what i would like but i know there is no way in hell that he would do that.Valverde is a guy that was succsesfull but left because of money and contract issues,not because of performance or players problems.

How did Lemonis fail? By getting you to the last 16 (only to lose to Chelsea) in the CL or getting you the title?

Valverde wouldn't be a good option. He won a poor league last year with the best Olympiakos squad in years, and that was all he did. He failed in the CL and went out of the UEFA Cup to a pub team. He also ruined Mitroglou and refused to use young players. In fact apart from 2 UEFA cup runs with Espanyol he hasn't done anything! He also ruined Villareal this year. He's certainly not the answer.

Finding a manager that would def do well is tough. I'd even bet against Mourinho or Fergusen making it at Olympiakos for more than a year because the mentality that surrounds the club is a joke. There are numerous candidates that could do a job though: Mark Hughes (unemployed), Rudi Garcia (Lille), Mazzari (Napoli), Manzano (Mallorca), Miguel Ángel Lotina (Depor), Juande Ramos (unemployed), Caparros (Atheltico Bilbao), Michael Laudrup (unemployed), Hector Cuper (Aris). The question is, how many would be given a fair chance?

Valverde would be a fool to return.... Unless he does it just for the money. He got the club 2 titles and he was let go. How can he work long-term if he knows that he may be shown the door at any point?

But, Kokalis thinks he's a football genius. whatever.

It's in the interest of all to have a competitive league, with good officiating, appropriate fields, etc.

Finding a manager that would def do well is tough. I'd even bet against Mourinho or Fergusen making it at Olympiakos for more than a year because the mentality that surrounds the club is a joke.

Nail on the coffin right??

I have to say when AC MILAN lost 4-0 in Manchester how many Milan fans are blaming the loss on the coach?

How many Milan fans are asking for whole heart changes?

Did the Milan owner come out and make some statement?

Now imagine Olympiakos losing 4-0 in Manchester. What would the answers to those questions be?

Mentality needs to change on this team. Recycling coaches is not the answer. IMO, let Kerembau run the show. Let him make all decisions with one criteria, there must be 5-6 Greek youths in his 5 year plan.

Some greek soccer website are reporting that Kokkalis has told Xrusikopoulos to book the new manager BEFORE the game against Pao and that Valverde is the choice.The idea is book him now that we know what to expect from him and lets get it over with.

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/Superle...cos/266130.html

Hahaha ridiculous so he's not free at the moment but he would come in just a couple of days???

Also seriously guys HOW has Lemonis failed? He is a true fan and had a good 'run' at OSFP, at least the second time.

He is free at the moment Genome,i am talking about book him now and he starts at summer time his duties.Unless Badovic and Niniadis lose total control and then i dont know,Kokkalis calls me up to set them straight.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually not for short term solutions, but we really have no choice now, because someonee thought a scout could take care for the rest of the season.

This isn't a babbysitting job, we needed someone that could at least guarantee a second place finish to get the CL spot. Now we have the playoffs without a real coach?

Wtf are they waiting for?

Get Lemonis NOW and hope he can get us to win the playoffs. I'm sure he watches every single match, so there will not be much adjusting needed.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I think about it, the more certain I am.

The team needs a philosophical overhaul.

I don't want to see Velverde back. I don't want to see Lemonis back (although I still think he can produce).

I would like to see a French or German flair here.

Bring in someone that and allow him to do what he wants under 1 condition. Greek youth need to be given playing time.

Mitroglou,

both Papadoupoulos (not the aging Avraam),

Torosidis,

Soleidis

I don't care. I just don't want to see aging foreigners that are no better than the Greeks we have.

I also want to see us play a faster pace game that has a lot of crisp passing.

Most importantly, we need someone in here that demands respect and gets these guys to work and to play like a team. Kespagia for all the crap people complained about did that.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemonis is currently the manager of Omonoia, and is in the process of winning the Cypriot league. As an Omonoia and Olympiakos fan, I think I'd be ok with him going back to Peiraia. It's where he wants to be, but I love what he's doing for us at Omonoia.

• 1 month later...

It is not exactly hot of the press, as there is a little tournament happening in South Africa at the moment which has most people's attention, but the coach for 2010/11 going forward is Ewald Lienen the German who was at Panionios a few years back.

Let's hope he can steer this ship back.

Now it's even talk about buying out the new coach because of the new owner situation. That would be a new low even for us. Sacking the coach before any game have been played yet. Only in Greece that could happen :rolleyes: