Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2010

pao123

i know its a little early to be talking about our summer transfers and that there are much more pressing matters at hand but i didnt want to post this somewhere else and change the subject of a topic...

today we were loosely linked wih boumsong from lyon as a centre back...

we were also strongly linked to hleb, who is on loan to stuttgart from barcelona...reports say we have agreed with barcelona on a year long loan with the option to buy and that all that remains is the players approval for next year...

personally i think he would be a very good signing for us...hleb can play all the midfield/attacking positions..right, centre and left...has great technique, good speed and a gifted passer...hes 28/29 and has played for top clubs like arsenal and barcelona, so he will provide experience but also technical quality in the midfield...

first priority should be a centre back but if this oppourtinity is presented in front of us, i think we should take it...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that Noblias is using many more players now, so what we thought about several of them leaving may not be the case during transfer season.

We have a very difficult 2-3 weeks ahead of us and we'll have to use lots of players. If they perform and the club achieves success, we may only see 2 maybe 3 new faces only.

We're playing Liege on Thu, then Asteras away, then Liege, then Oly, then cup game with PAS, etc... This is very heavy schedule. I just hope we play gavroi unlike we did in Karaiskaki. Good thing they're not very well conditioned because we'll be tired after playing Standard away on Thu before the derby.

Sorry for the tangent in this thread, but the transfers will be about getting 1-2 players that will make the difference, plus a depth on our bench if we are to pursue 3 targets nexts season.

I posted this on my blog last week:

Besides CB, Panathinaikos will be looking at RW players since it's almost certain that Sapigidis will not sign a new contract despite management's desire to keep him on the roster. Even if Salpigidis does sign a new contract, the club will be looking for a second player there, a natural RW that can take defenders one-v-one on the line the way Leto does on the left.

Another area of concern is at DM where Gilberto will be 34 next season and Katsouranis has shown signs of wear late in the season. Simao is continuing his development and can be counted on the defensive aspects but can't move the ball out of defense the way Gilberto and Katsouranis can.

With the most complete roster in decades, Panathinaikos can afford to spend the majority of the badget on the above positions and still address lesser concerns at LB, AM, and GK.

At LB, Spyropoulos has been the iron man, covering the position all by himself since there is no decent depth. A young Greek prospect (like Panionios' Tavelas) would be perfect for that role.

At AM, Karagounis will be pushing 33 years of age next season and for the past couple of seasons cannot play an entire 90-minute game, and his contributions have become more sporadic as of late because of that. Personally, I'd like to see Ninis move ahead on the pecking order and become the leader in midfield, but he has also been unable to finish an entire game. While his football skills are undeniable, his endurance is suspect so I think it would be a mistake to rely exclusively on him. A combination of Karagounis-Ninis sharing time and subbing each other in midfield would work well, but I would not be opposed if we did bring in another capable AM. From the other AMs on the roster, Cleyton has done more whining than playing, and neither he, nor Christodoulopoulos seem to have the mental skills required of the position.

Most fans love Tzorvas and would probably disagree with me about the need for a new goalkeeper, but I have seen major deficiencies in Tzorvas' game that can prove costly in critical games. While Tzorvas has worked hard and shown much improvement in many aspects of his game, his moves off the line are very erratic and and overwhelmingly unsuccessful. I don't think it would be detrimental for the team to go into the new season with the same goalkeeping corps, but I do think the position can be improved a great deal.

The last area of need, and a minor one at that, is a backup for the LW where only Leto is a natural, and all the subs are converted AMs who favor the right foot.

In terms of departures, Salpigidis has avoided signing the offer the club put on the table and he will probably be gone. It's just as well because PAO fans have never really believed he is the man for the job, despite him being one of the best players consistently. But I have also noticed signs of his game deteriorating. He has done well on the right wing, but he is not a natural RW man and there is a feeling that the team would do better with a more skilled player there. Personally, I'd love to see Salpigidis stay even though I think we should still buy another, natural RW.

Sariegi's contract expires this summer and there has been no sign that the club would make him an offer. That's too bad because he has given all he's got for the team (even though he is not the player pedigree PAO fans expect) and he would be a good backup in minor games.

Galinovic will probably be gone, having lost all fan trust, and many of us would be excited to see Darlas' name erased from the roster as well. Gabriel on the other hand is a question mark. He is only 28 and would make a good backup at RM or RB, but with Marinos on the roster he is probably superfluous, so I would not be surprised to see him gone.

I am a Matos fan, and I think he'll return. Salpi won't be back.

Now that Gali will play against Liege maybe he can show that he still has it, but I doubt that.

I like Sariegi because he's given 100% and I think he can still be useful.

I don't want to see Tzorvas gone. If Gali leaves then we should bring a very good keeper and let the 2 compete for the job. Tzorvas has very good reflexes but, indeed, he is not good coming out, especially when the ball is high.

And, yes, Kara, Katsur and Gilb won't be able to maintain 90' of quality play time.

I think Ivanschitz is on a two-year loan so he can't come back this year. As for Mattos, he was really not playing well before he left and then he was plagued by injuries in Brazil (he even had an operation). Both want to be guaranteed a starting spot which will be hard. Ivan and Leto won't co-exist easily, and Mattos gets moody if he has to compete for a spot. I thought it was the reason they both left. It's best to maintain peace and quiet in the lockeroom even if it means some talented players go elsewhere.

on other transfer related news, my local team...well the team i play for has signed up chris kalantzis (former oly/pao player)...so he is in his late 40's....thats the closest i will get to playing alongside a pao player.....exciting stuff..

on other transfer related news, my local team...well the team i play for has signed up chris kalantzis (former oly/pao player)...so he is in his late 40's....thats the closest i will get to playing alongside a pao player.....exciting stuff..

Thats massive news!

PM sent!

• 2 weeks later...

The transfer season (along with a lot of our future) is going to be dependent on us finishing up this title...

With the guaranteed CL spot, weve got more funds and more pull as a club (as well as being Champions for a change).

Hleb would be a mega signing. I want him because we need a quality AM. If we don't go for any better AM's I'd at least like Ivanschitz to come back because he'd be quite useful to have.

Theres stuff in a few paper headlines linking us closer to Tzavelas of Panionios....

Hes the player I'd want most his summer (from the Superleague market) as well as a big talent defender. Also it would be great to have a decent set peice taker on the team again. Leto/Ninis are ok, but Kara is aggrivating.

we were linked today with Matias De federico..he is a 20yr old argentine playing for corinthians in brazil...this kid is a great talent...left footed midfielder that plays across the attacking line..great dribbler and passer...i remember seeing him play once for huracan with pastore, and they looked like a great little duo..

everyone is after tzavellas...i predict oly will pick him up....

news on a goalkeeper:

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=7514513

can we really afford to lose out another season on defenders we want to OSFP? We really cant. We've dismissed the outrageous defensive issues for the last 4 transfer periods....2 seasons. We can't make our team complete by trying to offset a piss poor defense with a good offense. Even with a great offense, all their goals go to waste in seconds with the leaks in the back. Its like you pay millions for players like Cisse to score, but then his work and your investment is completely cancelled off in a nightmare back line.

Weve come dangerously close to blowing a title that we've been 5-7 points up all season, weve been conceeding buckets of goals in europe even at home...Either defense take a priority this summer or well be getting pounded in the CL.

As for Tzavelas, he seems like a good player, hes not really the dirty/cheat type that I'd normally expect to go to OSFP. Besides PAO needs him more, and if PAO wins the protathlima, then he'd be dumb to not want to play 6 games in the Champions League and go to play for OSFP.

Giakoumis? I'm not sure I've heard much about him...As for young keepers I wouldn't mind Babaniotis of Panaitolikos.....i saw him play in the u19 over Bouzanis and he was quite impressive. Panaitolikos are doing reasonable too this season.

I agree. Without a great defense, we're going to be a mediocre team. Every time PAO has done very well in euro play has been with a solid defense. Forget the Greek league, the real test is in Europe.

Being in the CL also is a magnet to attract better players.

We just have to be winning the title from now on to ensure an automatic place in the CL :P

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=7549104

simao seems unhappy about his lack of playing time...i have had the feeling all year that he will leave the team in the summer...his buy out clause is set at 6 million which i think is low for a player of his potential..i hope we keep him because we will need fresh and young legs in the midfield next year with the aging gilberto and karagounis...i very much hope he stays with the team...he will become a star if he works on his ball distribution but defensively he is a beast already and hes 21 yrs old..i think after a couple more years we can double his value and all this for a player we got for free after a trial...

i hope he sticks around..we need to keep hold of our young talent..him and ninis are two of our important rising stars..

yeah, Simao must stay. He should be told that he's the future as older players will fade away (hopefully slowly).

He lacks distribution skills but he may improve on this. I don't know if it's possible but if Vyntra could improve... :LOL:

Besides, as a defensive player he's vital.

Do you guys think that Salpi is leaving? I think so. To be fair to him, he wasn't supposed to play on the right wing.

I don't think Simao is going anywhere and I take the reporting on his displeasure with a grain of salt. Now that the championship is almost certain, the reporting is going downhill. BTW, Simao is a prospect for sure but not 6 million worth in the real market.

Simao and Ninis were "laurakia"

Simao especially, came out of nowhere to practice with PAO in Paiania as a guest?!!!

Simao will be 22 in July, Ninis will be 20, April 3.

We need them both for years to come.

PEACE

I wouldn't mind if Salpi leaves. We need a #11 to partner Cisse; someone with skill and good ball control. Salpi is not that player and he didn't score too many goals this season. Leto is not really a #11 and he's been playing as a left winger. So we need that plus several defensive players; at LEAST 3. Seitaridis was a waste of time.

I wouldn't mind if Salpi leaves. We need a #11 to partner Cisse; someone with skill and good ball control. Salpi is not that player and he didn't score too many goals this season. Leto is not really a #11 and he's been playing as a left winger. So we need that plus several defensive players; at LEAST 3. Seitaridis was a waste of time.

Now I am confused, probably because I am old-school.

In the old days, before each player had a steady number for the season, each player wore a number based on their position. Goalkeeper was #1, RB was #2, and so on.

so, when you say we need a #11 I automatically picture a LM or a LW the kind of Leto is. Galakos was another player of the same mold. A #11 is someone who played on the line. Usually a #10 was someone who played as an SS or most often as a LM.

What do you mean by #11? because apparently you mean something different than I understand.

Archived