Phantis Forums

Aussie Open 2010

Euro2004

Baghdatis has been plagued by injuries in the last 2 years and missed 3 of the 4 slams last year because of injury if i'm not mistaken. He feel out of the top 100, which for a player that is a top 10 player at his best, was a huge deal.

But he's back now and hopefully injury-free. Just before the Australian Open he won a tournament (he's 4th singles title) by beating Gasquet in the final and so he's back at 31st in the world (and hopefully climbing!) :tup:

He just finished cruising past the world no. 85 Paolo Lorenzi in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, 6-4. Because he's been out for so long the Cypriot isn't seeded though and will face a player he's never beaten, the 17th seed David Ferrer.

Let's hope his return continues for a while longer :) :gr:

Mate Baghdatis is an absolute joke! He just played Ferrer. He was in control in the first set before wasting 3 break points and get broken to lose the first set. Ferrer won the 2nd set fairly comfortably (Baghdatis hit 40 unforced errors by that stage) and then Ferrer broke Baghdatis in the 3rd set and looked to be cruising.

In typical fashion he woke up when he was chasing and came back to level the sets at 2-2. Baghdatis then raced to a 5-1 lead in the 5th but collapsed because of severe cramp. However, there’s a rule that says that you can’t receive treatment for cramp now except at the change over and even then he's only allowed out twice. Marco had called out the trainer twice at the change over and so he couldn’t receive treatment again.

Ferrer insisted they play on and that game became a tense affair, a "put-it-all-on-the-line-spill-your-blood-and-guts-war". Baghdatis could barely run so Ferrer was winning the rallied points but Marcos was responding with either an ace or an early winner. Somehow he managed to hold to win 4-6, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3, 6-1. It was an amazing match! Unbelievable!

HE'S BAAAAAAACKK! :gr: :gr:

When he is fit and playing at his best he is a top 10 player.

I worry about about his fitness after playing ferrer for over four hours and getting cramp.

I hope he will have enough in the tank to give a good account of himself in the next match.

Just watched the replay of Hewitt v. Baghdatis. He looked like he just woke up from a massive hangover.

I hope it was just the injuries as you guys have mentioned, and not being an aliti. He has so much potential and I'd hate to see that go to waste at his age.

His play vs. Hewitt was abysmal in the first set losing 6-0. Way too many errors, hitting the net constantly. It looked like he had a hope in the second set with a couple of aces and rallied back to 2-2, but the errors continued and he fell back to 2-4. Then he forfeited the match. It was strange, because he supposedly said it was his shoulder, but in a brief post match interview, his coach said it was a complete surprise that he had a shoulder injury.

I really don't know what happened, it almost seemed like he was ashamed of his performance and just gave up. Who knows.

Just watched the replay of Hewitt v. Baghdatis. He looked like he just woke up from a massive hangover.

I hope it was just the injuries as you guys have mentioned, and not being an aliti. He has so much potential and I'd hate to see that go to waste at his age.

His play vs. Hewitt was abysmal in the first set losing 6-0. Way too many errors, hitting the net constantly. It looked like he had a hope in the second set with a couple of aces and rallied back to 2-2, but the errors continued and he fell back to 2-4. Then he forfeited the match. It was strange, because he supposedly said it was his shoulder, but in a brief post match interview, his coach said it was a complete surprise that he had a shoulder injury.

I really don't know what happened, it almost seemed like he was ashamed of his performance and just gave up. Who knows.

Giving up is definitely not something I associate with him. He may have a weak focus, etc, but he certainly has a never say die approach. He would have lost the match against Ferrer if he didn't win in the game he did because he was cramping up pretty badly. Perhaps it wasn't a shoulder injury as such but aches and pains? Who knows? But he'd beaten Hewitt a week before that match so I think it's more an issue of him not being fit than giving up

Archived