Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2010

This is unacceptable in so many levels.If you want to be the best,you got to want to play and beat the best.Is better to fight and lose against Spain and USA than actually play little games and then maybe end up losing to France.Our NT has not been playing good at all in this tournament so far and now we also look small and in fear in the eyes of many other teams....... :angry:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is hilarious the russian coachis upset that we threw the match so we can play an easier opponent the irony in this we did it to avoid spain but it looks that france is also doin the same with nz!!!! of all team so we will face spain and france want to face russia unbeleivable!!! what a joke

XSEFTILA TO OUR NT CONSIDERED OF THE ELITE TEAMS TOO STOOP SO LOW

Yes spain is our white whale if we lose then we lose they have our number and just because we beat the us once we all fell we can beat them again

Grecee is a basketball ecole...

And even Grecee lost to the Turkey in a bed way it didn't change anything for me. Because Turkey was playing in front of tousands of supporters also players were extra motivated (Because they were playing a derby). And Turkey is one of the most dangerous team in the wrold, the problem of Turkey not to be tournument team, to be emotional so they can't be basketball ecole...

But yesterday at the Russia - Grecee match i asked to myself if Grecee really basketball ecole? Because i have never seen an ecole is giving the match for an uncertain difficult matching...

Greece made a wrong calculation and will play with Spain this is even disaster to put the team to funny situation. If Grecee would try yesterday (play with step players) and loose that was ok, but...

Anyway if it was Turkey, i would write the same,,, A Team only can be antipathetic like this

I'm ashamed of Greece not making a better effort to win against Russia. I also think FIBA is partly to blame. Why not do like in the World Cup, play all the last group games at the same time? My guess is because the try milking every last penny possible with tickets and tv coverage.

Game over for Greece :tdown:

We can blame the refs till the cows come home its what greeks to the best not the fact that we cant paly a zone and we cant hit a 3 pointer if our lives depende on it and hit crucial free throws, this is not the nt that i beleived in havin to toss games to avoid potential teams, we have to realize that maybe were not a powerhouse and juggernaut country we once was.

We can blame the refs till the cows come home its what greeks to the best not the fact that we cant paly a zone and we cant hit a 3 pointer if our lives depende on it and hit crucial free throws, this is not the nt that i beleived in havin to toss games to avoid potential teams, we have to realize that maybe were not a powerhouse and juggernaut country we once was.

I unfortunately agree... One main reason we lost, was the missed 3 throws (if we had put them all in, we would of one by 1 point), 3 pointers (lack of, until 2nd half) and bench scoring... Wasn't the Spaniard bench players outscoring the Greek bench something like 24-4?!?

Speaking of, why wasn't Tsatsaris playing more, or why didn't Printezis, Kaimakoglou etc. not play? Why invite them then?

Clearly we don't have good reserves like Spain does.

Too bad Papaloukas & Vasilopoulos weren't on he team (for different reasons) but Spain had their best (or one of their best) Gasol (of the Lakers) away.

Diamantidis played very well along with Zisis, Big Sofo... Too bad Diamantidis is retiring from the Team... I wonder why though, he is only 30 or so?

All in all a disappointing early finish...

well so much to say about these championships

Kazlauskas did not have a team that could play against a zone. Had Spain kept the zone on us the whole time it wouldn't have been even close.

We nearly lost to China and Puerto Rico because we couldn't handle a zone. It was a bad tournament for us, with 3 defeats, one of them which we simply tossed the game away (Russia), although I do agree with the logic of avoiding the USA to actually have a chance at the Semifinals.

If we had made it against Spain, we could take Serbia and be in the top 4. Spain had too much depth and solid shooting, and thats why they always beat us.

For Spain:

Diamantidis had a poor tournament, except this game which was outstanding

Its not that our bench "couldn't" score. Its that our bench ----- DIDNT PLAY.

Kalathis saw 3 minutes the whole game. Tsartsaris saw 4 minutes, Peperoglou 8, Kaimakoglou zero, printezis zero... The only player who was really coming in was Bouroussis, who was awful.

Tsartsaris really should have played more. THe guy is a fighter and was in top form, a lot better than that of Bouroussis who seems to get harassed everytime he steps into the paint. Not to mention, if anybody saw Tsartsaris vs USA, he was top class taking on the NBA players and had like 26 points. Bouroussis was so bad, and Tsartsaris couldn't even come on?

He's also a huge loss that he retired as well. Now its going to be Vougioukas next in line, or Koufos, though I seriously doubt Koufos' intentions to ever play with the ethniki again. Probably for the Olympics he'll come back (because of the presteige) but as for the Euro I strongly doubt it.

Kaimakoglou was our top 3 point shooter statistically. He should have been given some chances to shoot and play because he is actually a very good player. He was 6/8 on 3 pointers in the tournament.....

You could say its meaningless, but when Zisis is 6/21 in the tournamnet, and Fotsis 6/14, maybe its worth a try.

Probably with his move to PAO he'll get better consideration that he deserved.

We lost because we couldnt attack a zone, and our 3 point shooting was very weak as was predictable this tournament. Our free throws were poor too and cost us, 43% from the free throw line is garbage and costs games. Maybe the little rest the players got during the game impacted it, who knows.

Papaloukas is 33 years old, and has given half effort for the ethniki for the last 2 tournamnets he was in. He'll be 34 come the next Euro, and really we don't need him.

Vassilopoulos is a loss, it seems like hes going to be injured forever, hopefully hell be back in form and ready for next summer.

Hopefully Papanikolaou at OSFP gets a ROLE rather than playing 3 minutes all season. I don't understand how OSFP, and PAO too can't find games for their youth. I mean, seriously a home game againt VOLOS etc where they win by 30 or 40 points, and they can't put in the youth for more than that? At PAO, Bogris is deprived of playing time too, and I understand why, but some games really we are flexible to allow him more minutes and a role to improve...

Other than that, I guess Pappas should make the team next year with Diamantidis gone. Exciting young player, hopefully hell be ready.

Today 2 Semi Finalist will be clear after the;

Turkey-Slovenia,

Serbia-Spain

I belive

Spain-Turkey-USA the finall will be between 2 of this teams. Slovenia is a cute team but i think Turkey will beat them. After i saw France match i can say Turkey has the best deffance of the tournument. They erased the France at the match also before Greece.

Spain is favourite to Serbia too.

We will see the results today and tomorrow if am i right or not.

So far, we've been by far the best team in the competition.. :tup:

Our 2-3 zone defense and aggressive man-to-man half-court makes things very diffcult for the opposition. I though Slovenia could make a stumbling block with sharp shooters like Lakovic, Dragic and Besirovic (or Sunny Delightovic as drakos once called him) but we kept their contributions to 27 points in total! Also we've conceded 61.2 ppg and scored 83.2 ppg! Now, that's massively successful!!

Plus, we scored 95 each vs France and Slovenia.. Now playing vs Serbia, a team which is not known in this competition for their defence, we should be the clear favourites!!

Only thing that worries me is FIBA Referees! When any team play vs Spain, Serbia or Greece, somehow most calls go in these teams' favour! I hope it's not the case again, and I hope we don't end up with that Finnish c*** (Jungebrandt) :angry: come the game!

Argentina v Lithuania today, and the winners vs USA would be fantastic games to watch as well.. It's been a great tournament!!

So far, we've been by far the best team in the competition.. :tup:

Our 2-3 zone defense and aggressive man-to-man half-court makes things very diffcult for the opposition.

I agree, Turkey is the best team of the tournument untill now.

All the players are playing perfect, passionetly. We cant tell for any player about their performance. Againest to Slovenia even Hidayet, Ersan, Kerem was out they keep the differance.

I already belived to the final for Turkey...

Suprisingly, Serbia was definitley the better team throughout the game, they screwed it up at the end with that ridiculous defense destined to fail and some of the refereeing calls at the end were simply pathetic (Kristic 5th foul didnt have any contact whatsoever).

nice dramatics for Turkish fans, but i just saw really embarassing mistake of Serbia. What on earth do you press that hard for on 4 seconds. 5 men way out of the zone, all it takes is a simple through ball and the game is over. The idea should be to force a terrible percentage outside shot.

Personally I beleive Serbia is the better team overall, this is Turkey's year. A small chance for gold with a miracle, but the USA is going to be extra cautious.

well its over. Turkey did have some hot form and took a big silver medal, but in all honestly guys Lithuania was the 2nd best team in the tournament. They topped their challenging group, took wins against Spain, France, and kept reasonable pace with USA. crushed Argentina and swept past Serbia.

Definitley theyre going to be favourites for gold when they host the eurobasket next summer.

Turkey is good and a good generation of Turkish players got some commendation on home ground, Turkey made it to the final, so all in all they can say they did very well to reach silver and have plenty of reason for celebrations, that their team is finally arrived at a higher class than what it has been for so long.

I think you all saw that when the US prepares even in the slightest bit for tourneys like these, they win handily-even sending a third or fourth rate squad like they did. Only Durant and Rose can be considered "top tier" NBA players from this FIBA World Championship squad, and the Americans won it hands down.

Btw, I predicted Rose would be the US point guard three years ago when I saw him as a high school senior. I also predicted great things for Evan Turner of OSU...and he was College Player of the Year this past year.

Congratulations to Turkey on reaching 2nd place and winning a silver medal. Turkey played well and coach Tanjevic was outstanding.

Not to throw cold water on their achievement but Turkey, in the future, has to prove that they can win a medal and/or reach a semifinal of a major tournament (Olympics, Eurobasket, FIBA world cup) without being the host nation. They won a silver medal in both Eurobasket 2001 and FIBA world cup 2010 where they were the host nation but never won a medal as a non-host nor reached the semifinal as a non-host. The Meditteranean Games basketball tournament is not a major tournament because that is really a youth tournament.

However, with Tanjevic as coach and Turkey's defense, they could do so in the future. Good luck to Turkey.

Only thing that worries me is FIBA Referees! When any team play vs Spain, Serbia or Greece, somehow most calls go in these teams' favour! I hope it's not the case again, and I hope we don't end up with that Finnish c*** (Jungebrandt) :angry: come the game!

hey gs long time no hear

having watched turkey beat serbia do you still stand by your comments that referees favour serbia ?

To argue on ''sucsess'' of Turkey is unneccesary. Before this tournument it was a kind of Dream for Turkey to play final with USA so Turkey is the most sucsesful team of this tournument. And If you have a good team you can reach to sucsess otherwise South Africa football team could play Final this year at the Wrold Cup 2010...

Turkey couldn't play very well at the Puerto Rico, Serbia and USA matches. But at the Grecee and France matches they were perfect and they showed that Turkey is one of the best team of this tournument, they made 5/5 at the group matches and if the didn't faced with favourites untill final this is the reason, and this is the tournument. So %100 they deserved the medal. Turkey showed a very good sucsess at the last tournuments too. They were wrold 6th before (away), last medalist Grecee won to Turkey at the extra time if you remember, so this medal shouldn't be suprise...

Anyway i think everybody has to congraculate... This is a big and clean sucsess for Turkish Basketball... Of course they don't have to fly too, Turkey at the starting of the way for the Basketball, but a perfect start :tup:

Turkey was not perfect against Greece. Greece was horrible, and ILYASOVA was perfect.

The medal didnt come as a suprise really, but weather it would actually happen all depended on the Greece game. If Greece had won, Turkey's chances of a medal would have slipped by meeting Spain or USA before the medal rounds.

Its no surpise that Turkey did beat France, Slovenia etc to get to the semifinals, Turkey had a strong team I remember from Eurobasket.

Turkey was not perfect against Greece. Greece was horrible, and ILYASOVA was perfect.

The medal didnt come as a suprise really, but weather it would actually happen all depended on the Greece game. If Greece had won, Turkey's chances of a medal would have slipped by meeting Spain or USA before the medal rounds.

Its no surpise that Turkey did beat France, Slovenia etc to get to the semifinals, Turkey had a strong team I remember from Eurobasket.

The score difference was too much and if a team erasing the Grecee, France, Slovenia i beleive they play perfect. For Ilyasova my oppinion is different i think he was bed some other matches, because he is best player of team.

For Spain; Turkey beated champhion Spain at the Eurobasket 2009 just one year ago, so if they can beat away in front of tousand they should win easly.

I have doubt for stability of this succsess but i beleive at this tournument they played perfect except some matches.

Archived