Phantis Forums

World Cup 2010

thrylos

If we go out of this world cup without a win, then that's how Otto will be remembered. Let's hope not after all he has done for our football!

:gr:

no he won't. he's a legend whatever happens.
Of course he is! But you are always remembered for how you left. Let's not deny that....in the long run he will be remembered for the Euro 2004

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bring them on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we goin through boys......korea shot, nigeria just worried about internet banking scams, argetina can self explode anytime as they lost to bolivia 7-0.....

could have been much worse......if we cant advance here then we dont deserve it

65% chance we go to the next stage

If I'm not mistaken, we play

12 June = S.Korea

17 June = Nigeria

22 June = Argentina.

We MUST win out first game and ideally beat Nigeria too. We don't want to be needing a result in the last game.

This is a good draw, i hope we prepare well (tactically do our homework, physically we have to train at altitude to be ready but i wonder whether the Greeks will even think of this <_< ).

We can do this guys! :tup:

Why would the Greeks not think/consider the need to train at altitude.

Sometimes the negative "foreigners always do things better" mentality of the average Greek frustrates me!

On the sporting front Greeks have a lot to be proud of. Especially when compared to countries of similar size.

Everyone has talked up Portugal over the last decade or so and they are the proud winners of nothing!

The record of Portugal against Greece in the last three or four games is very bad I'm sure you will agree.

I wonder if the portuguese will think about altitude training?

Mind you a lot of portugals players will be used to the conditions as so many of them originate from the area.

Greece is going to South Africa to drink a few frapedes and come back home as soon as possible. I really doubt any of these players will care at that time about the result. The Greeks will be high on their horses and embarrass all Greek citizens.

Unless all the Greek players playing at the world cup have no clubs and try to impress to get a club to sign them it will be a different story or else were not going to do anything in the group stages.

Anyone want to shed some light on Captain Negative(me)???

With this draw, I think it is reasonable to expect we qualify for the second round.

Group B analysis from the hacks at ESPNSoccernet...check the "prediction" at the bottom.

GROUP B

Argentina: Diego Maradona may not be the most popular coach, but his side will be massive favourites coming into this group. The top seeds got themselves a very decent draw and the likes of Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez will be rubbing their hands with glee. Maradona's tactical nous has come under fire of late, but there is no reason to suggest that they won't top the group.

• Prediction: It should be a walk in the park for Argentina. Even if they show some of the poor form that we saw in qualifying they should have enough to progress.

Nigeria: If you look past Argentina, the Nigerians will be confident that they have enough to get through this group. A solid set of players, the Africans will be boosted by the fact they are on their own continent and, despite struggling in their qualification group, they will want that second spot. Obafemi Martins will lead the line and should cause South Korea and Greece no end of problems; however, they are not the most stable of units and could come undone if they suffer under the pressure of a major final.

• Prediction: Second, behind Argentina, as they should have enough to break down their rivals. They may not go much further though.

South Korea: The Koreans may have provided a shock in 2002 on home soil, but there should be little chance of a repeat. A tough draw for them alongside former European champions, Nigeria and a side who have one of the best squads around. Greece could be a place to pick up points, but, without Guus Hiddink in charge, there is little to suggest that the Koreans will make a similar impact.

• Prediction: It won't be a repeat of 2002 for the Koreans, but they will have their eyes on an upset against Nigeria.

Greece: Accused of playing some of the dullest football around, the Greeks will want to grind down the opposition and won't be an easy test to overcome. They may not have aspirations of going to the final, but they are an organised, if defensive, side. They should overcome South Korea, but Nigeria will be a different prospect. It would not be a surprise to see them claim second place in the group, but they will have to work harder to break down opposition defences. Otto Rehhagel said:"Argentina is obviously the favourite in the group. All I can do is make sure that our players are 100% fit and ready by the time the World Cup starts. Nigeria, South Korea are also strong, but we have a very good chance of going through if we are at our best."

• Prediction: The nature of their football may suggest they won't make it out of the group, but Greece could still make it if they upset Nigeria.

According to the FIFA, we're ranked 12th and Nigeria is ranked 22nd. I put little stock in these rankings, however, how the F*** can a team upset a team ranked below them? I'm getting tired of being shat on by these ill-informed pundits who claim we "[play] some of the dullest football around." I guess that's the price of success.

j, Greece will never get the respect until they start t qualifying for every tournament, and at least, advance here and there......you have to remember that with the exception of those who watch every match, the majority of pundits dont know much more than results and few analytics that they read from other sources that dont watch the team everyday........

so based on our spotty qualification and dismal 08 results, the predictions are not unreasonable...

at some point SOMEBODY has to come out say turn the perception around....for example, lets say we go to quater finals, and then the '12 euro starts....well then a story like".........well we have been underestimating greece for a long time butits time we realize that they have become a strong footballing nation and a team nobody wants to play......" its this type of "breakthrough article and shift in perception that will begin the respect of the team...

why do you think every "analyst" says the same thing? ' defensive, this type of style, etc etc" why? because they only write what they read from others....but the TEAM is the only one that can change the mentality by beiing consistent......

if we play to our strengths we will qualify.

Argentina: Marradona I love, but as a coach, he cannot inspire his players. I would not be surprised to see Argentina go home early. I think we can outmuscle them and frustrate Messi and company. We can get them on the counter. We have revenge to play for like the horrible loss in USA 94, which all our players remember. It will spur them on.

Nigeria:

Tough guys, but not that disciplined, if Mancini takes over as coach look out for them. They scare me, but this Greek backline is very strong, not like the brittle guys in 1994. We can beat them.

S Korea:

They scare me. They are super energetic and our guys get tired early. I can just see us getting a 1-0 lead and having these guys get two in the last few minutes. I saw Ninis yesterday, he is a guy who can drive the Koreans crazy. I think he and Karagounis can gel together.

In conclusion, I think if we play to our potential we can make the quarters.

a

Good points, mangas. But the question must be asked, what has Nigeria achieved to receive such plaudits from the so called experts? Nigeria didn't qualify for the World Cup in 2006. They haven't won a trophy since the 1994 African Nations Cup. England hasn't won a major trophy since the World Cup in 1966. Why must Greece be constantly vilified? I realize our team has underperformed in the past but why should we always be tacked with bullshit labels like "defensive, boring, unattractive." Our Euro 2004 victory was anything but. Gekas was the top scorer in the qualifiers. I suppose I crave more objectivity from analysts. I want them to call it the way it is - Group B is wide open. The beautiful thing about the beautiful game is its unpredictability. That being said, I still expect us to make it to the second round. :gr:

j, if u c i have been screaming about this topic for along time...ur point about nigeria is excellent as their dry spell is just as significant....but it all goes back to perception....what is the LAST set of perceptions greece has left on the "world stage" (when they were even there"......

2004 has been perceived as a great fireworks display that faded just as quickly...the opinion of miracle or "once in a lifetime" at the time was correct because it was so unexpected...for thatt o have STUCK we would have had to do better in the confederations cup, qualify for 06, do better in 08........then maybe the perception may change or have changed....but we know what happened...

and england was won dic* but get all the respect in the world...look at the top seeds what do they have in common? C O N S I S T E N C Y thats what seperates perceptions and what backs up reality.....we are simply not consistent....and that counts for lot when predictions are made...

now to specifics: WE NEED SOME MORE SPEED HERE or we will be smoked.....or, we need to come out and smash mouth everybody with clean yet very physical play....we did not do that before in 94 (i was at the argentina game) becuase we WERE SHITTING our pants why? confidence we had an inferiority complex and did not feel we deserved to be on the same field with these types of teams.....this has changed - and we really need to impose OUR will, our StAMP on every game EVERY game - we can beat any of these of these teams...but we need to realize korea runs 100% full the full 90, the nigerians are fast and F***ign dirty / nasty players....we need to come out swingin, not like a shy, timid team but like ateam that BELONGS...its will maek all the difference...i am convinced 100% of that....

look at that third argentinian goal that starts @ 39 seconds....looks like the harlem globetrotters playing against their dummy team, the washington generals.....

beautiful ball movement......now you tell me we dont have three guys that can make those simple passes and move like that off the ball? ? or do we not have the mental ability or confidence to try and play that way? or do we not have enough guys up in the box because they are all playing kseri with our goal keeper?

Fixtures of group B

Argentina - Nigeria --- 6/12/10 1:30 PM

South Korea - Greece --- 6/12/10 4:00 PM

Greece - Nigeria --- 6/17/10 4:00 PM

Argentina - South Korea 6/17/10 8:30 PM

Greece - Argentina --- 6/22/10 8:30 PM

Nigeria - South Korea --- 6/22/10 8:30 PM

I believe the order of the matches could be very significant for us. The most likely win in this group would be our first match. If that happens we could play with a better confidence against the tougher teams. If we win the first game half the battle to make it to the next stage is won!

We can advance from this group but I really wanted to play some other countries...we already played these guys, what the hell-? Even in the next round we won't play the countries I wanted...we'll get France, maybe Uruguay or Mexico.

If getting to the 8 means Uruguay,France Mexico....I'll take that matchup.

by the third gme we gonna be dead chasing those south korean cockoroaches and those internet banking scammming nigerians......the argentina game better not be meaningful....

otto better figure out how to get frsh legs in the team chemistry or we are dead......i would love to see at least 4 freindlies against stiff competition and nins/kouts/mitro/makos/plist etc. given significant time - we gonna need our bench in this round big time....

This is a great draw.

I'm relishing the chance to get back at Argentina, and that a**hole Diego Maradona. Nigeria is also due for revenge, and S. Korea is beatable.

All games would be difficult really. To get through to the next round we have to finish higher than Nigeria and South Korea..... thats a great draw as far as I'm concerned.

Nigeria is good, but they're not the best Africa has to offer, and if we have a good side we can beat them for sure. Same with South Korea.

South Korea is not as good as the cheating side of 2002, or Nigeria as good as they used to be, but they still are Africans so they are fast/physical team.

If we prepare hard and go into it with the right mentality to avoid the Euro2008 crap, we have a very good chance of making it through.

Also I liked the other draws.....

USA-England

USA - Algeria

and the Vuvuzela nation is quite possibly going to be the first host to be eliminated, although i wont be suprised if its done with a bit of match-scandal.

Archived