Phantis Forums

Ukraine-Greece

Guest geok

This will be Otto's 100th game for the NT. His record is 51 wins, 22 draws, and 26 losses.

His starting 11 will be the same with Charisteas taking Salpi's spot and Avraam is hurt so he wont play.

Ukraine has twice tied at home in playoff matches so that might be something...

100 games too many.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought they looked better on offense and am surprised to hear they were playing defensively. I would not be surprised if they pull this out...and yet would not be surprised if they lost 3-0......

this is a big "respect" game....if this team wants respect, and if we as fans want Greece to be respected in the international football sphere, THIS is precisely the typeo of game they need to win.....period. If they don't then they will continue to be the "team of choice" for any opponent......

They can't perform and play as a cohesive team if the coach doesn't set them up properly. And they won't necessarily be the team of choice for any opponent once Otto packs his bags and we get a coach that can create something (hopefully)!

we only need a scoring draw but must play to win, mangas 21 is right about the respect we'll get from everyone if we do this!!!

im all pumped up on the world cup even more now New Zealand will be there!!!! I want more from Greece we can do this paidia!!! the ukrainians epaizan xwris kardia stin "edra" mas!!!

also i doubt if there will be many fans there either, i heard a ticket was worth a weeks waiges at €50ish....

PAME ELADARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OEOEOE

haha good news on avraam!!

This will be Otto's 100th game for the NT. His record is 51 wins, 22 draws, and 26 losses.

His starting 11 will be the same with Charisteas taking Salpi's spot and Avraam is hurt so he wont play.

Ukraine has twice tied at home in playoff matches so that might be something...

Haristeas in Salpis spot where he doesn't belong and can't play; this total stupidity when you have Ninis there...why do I bother with this s%$#!? Is that confirmed?
Thats the latest word from Otto but we shall see what he goes with hours from now...

100 games too many.

Otto may have been very disapointing in recent years with a ups and downs, but he's the single greatest manager the team has ever seen, and deserves a frikkin statue.

If you think things are bad on this team, does ANYBODY remember what it was like BEFORE Rehagel?

We had in our entire history, 2 tournament participations, both combined we had 1 point earned, and one single goal.

Rehagel in 8 years has taken us to 2 tournaments, with one WC Qualifyers finishing top 3, and made a playoff round for one of the WC. and took home Euro 2004.

His time is up, that is about it. He has changed the team forever, for the better.

100 games too many? Oh maybe you prefer Daniil and Iordanescu took us through these periods?

Anyways, I'm for giving Stratos Apostolakis a chance at the senior team when Rehagel steps down this week. If we get a foreigner, we need a GOOD one. Not some random reject.

excellent points drakos.....if you look at his entire body of work he is hands down the most successful Greek National Team Coach. As he has restored some respectability to the shirt.....

Now he does some inexplicable things (starting with not calling up Stoltidis and keeping Haristea as astarter) and his subs are strange sometimes but there is so much stuff that goes on that we dont know - politics, condition of players, etc. so to make blanket statements with half the story is, well, irresponsible....

if you judge him by the fact that he did not win the euro 2008, did not win the conferarion cup, did not win the world cup in 2006 etc the thats not fair.....is it hos fault aram layed an egg in moldova? is it his fualt we tie the jews 1-1 and missed numerous opportunities with the ball right on our feet?

and dont say "we could have played better" because that is bullshit....we played that way because thats what we are.....the dog wags the tail, not the otehr way around....if every team played "better" or could have played better then everyone would be Brazil.......

his time may be up, but to run him out of town like he is a failure becuase of the teams struggles currently, is precisely the type of Greek m*****a mentality that keeps the team down year after year....

sorry to those who may feel offended, but its not my intent to offend, just to tellit like i see it.....

now go out tommorrow and rip those guys new freakin a**hole.....

my friend in new york says no one there plays any football...be it national cl europa premeirship etc

Thats not true. There are bars that show matches, esp for Premiership. Nevada Smith's, is an English Pub (sort of) shows a lot of matches, and it also sells Walkers Crisps packets, which makes it even better.

For Greece matches, obviously Astoria will have it in many cafes esp as its on ESPN2...

Either Gkekas or Xaristeas? Why the hell is this a complicated decision?

Charisteas is completley worthless, and Gkekas is the best Greek striker and goalscorer.

We won't be qualifying without goals in Ukraine. Holding back on Gkekas, are top scorer? In what way is that remotely intelligent, hes better in every aspect of the game than Xaristeas (YES, even/especially headers)

i have one thing to say and I doubt I will watch the game or try to find out the score, since I think the freezing weather will destroy Greece has never won away to Russia or Ukraine, but we have not been very lucky this time around. We were lucky in Euro 2004 (we deserved to win) but had a few lucky breaks. Sometimes the Gods dictate that we can't be that unlucky and perhaps luck may turn in our favor and those silly goals we should have scored against Moldova, Switzerland, and Isreal will now be scored against Ukraine. Oh, God

we must win!

his time may be up, but to run him out of town like he is a failure becuase of the teams struggles currently, is precisely the type of Greek m*****a mentality that keeps the team down year after year....

sorry to those who may feel offended, but its not my intent to offend, just to tellit like i see it.....

Yeah and you do make a great point actually.

On the other hand, when we were in Euro 2008 and played 11 back, that was his choice, something I can't understand. It was disgraceful as we could have taken them and also because not even San Marino plays like that. And there are other examples.

But no matter what happens with Otto Rehhagel no one will ever forget his (major) contribution to Greek soccer and the Euro 2004 trophy, for which we can't thank him enough.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight! :gr:

Nothing less than bleeding on the pitch will give us qualification. We have a good chance if we score.

I now understand the management of this knockout faceoff by Otto, to go to Ukraine with the advantage of not having conceded is a strong advantage because any draw with a score and any win sees us through, which gives us hope. A goal away from home is truly golden. The anxiety is with Ukraine who are the favourites and will have to attack in front of a demanding audience. I think Otto will have managed this playoff very well if the team performs tonight because we go in this game with the theoretical probability odds for Greece (larger number of outcomes favour Greece).

The outcome of this is unpredictable despite the bookees heavy odds against us. It actually makes sense to play draw or win for Greece from a betting point of view.

This is one of the biggest games for the National Team ever, in my opinion the most important since the final of Euro 2004.

Win brings us to the world cup and a honorable finish for Otto and the Euro2004 generation. Defeat means a disgraceful finish for Otto and the team of Euro2004, return to the pre 2004 era and no more convenient draws in the future. This is a historic game for our NT where success is triumph and failure is catastrophic for Greek football.

I am sure that despite all our differences and opinions, we all long to see our NT through to the WC2010, no matter what happens there.

Good luck to our team! :gr:

At 34 I am old enough to remember the very talented teams of the 80s with nut case coaches like Papapostolof, who never shaved and was so stressed and demotivated a team with stars like Saravakos and Anastopoulos. If you ask me those teams were better, but were badly managed. Otto has made many mistakes, he's a stubborn man and his stubborness won the Championship for Greece but at the same time has hurt us badly, but whatever the case--Greece will always have our names etched on the 2004 trophy, thanks to him. We have one more step and whatever happens next year if we do make, we've qualified for 3 out of 4 tournies with him and if not we'll always have 2004. That magical day will live in my heart till the day I die. No they didn't threaten, they didn't bark, they didn't upset a power once then fade, they went all the way and captured the trophy; that ... that is magic.

If they do make it, email me at [email protected] I will be too stressed to watch the game on tv.

peace,

A

this second leg in ukraine has worked out to be an advantage. think about this in the inverse....it really changes the dynamic of tactical strategy 100%......

this is the type of "gut check" game we have to win....and we can win....this is not the type of "miracle" game as it would be if we wnt into Brazil and beat them...its freakin Ukariane - i have basketballs in the trunk that ar eolder than they are as a nation !!!! please.....they are nothing more than the russian minor leagues....with our experience in tight, close, "cardiac" games we should be able to at least tie them ....Thanks why i would no tbe surprised to see A-hristeas starting......

but until this team plays with confidence they will always be just abit better than mediocre...I mean Gekas, in newspapaer interview, said it would be a "miracle" if they wwent to S Africa......stasou re m#$%!, ti "miracle"....? this is not pele, bechenbauer, platini, etc.....its freakin UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Kraine..... please...

the team still does not play confident ball. its the tight, close to vest paly not to lose mentality that OTTO is directly responsible for.....I'm not saying open yourself up at the expense of defense, I am saying Be confident, strap it on and go out an dimpose YOUR WILL on the game......

go BLUE AND WHITTE !!!!

Archived