Phantis Forums

Alpha Sat to leave N. America?!

According to a post on Satleo, Alpha Sat will soon no longer be available in North America. The news is from this Betoglou fellow who regularly sends in info to Satleo, usually complaints about the Greek channels available here. Anyone know if this is legit?!

Has anyone here heard anything about Alpha TV removing Alpha Sat from North America, is the channel not doing well (subscription wise) or is the contract with DirecTV ending soon?! Considering the source, I am not really convinced that this info is solid, he doesn't even give any info on where he got this news from.

http://www.satleo.gr/content/view/2217/1/'>T

According to a post on Satleo, Alpha Sat will soon no longer be available in North America. The news is from this Betoglou fellow who regularly sends in info to Satleo, usually complaints about the Greek channels available here. Anyone know if this is legit?!

Has anyone here heard anything about Alpha TV removing Alpha Sat from North America, is the channel not doing well (subscription wise) or is the contract with DirecTV ending soon?! Considering the source, I am not really convinced that this info is solid, he doesn't even give any info on where he got this news from.

http://www.satleo.gr/content/view/2217/1/'>T

Look who wrote that its that guy from Boston he talks alot of BS most of the time....

Exactly, that is why I posted this to see if anyone else had heard anything about this otherwise this is just a crazy rumour as this Betoglou guy doesn't seem to be to reputable?!

Judging by the lack of responses to this thread, it appears the popularity of this channel is low and if Alpha Sat did leave no one would care or probably know that its no longer available, interesting! ;)

Judging by the lack of responses to this thread, it appears the popularity of this channel is low and if Alpha Sat did leave no one would care or probably know that its no longer available, interesting! ;)

So I guess no one cares about soccer on TV either, since there are a lack of responses on the recent UEFA champions league and superleague threads too. :P :LOL:

In all honestly though, I wouldn't judge replies as popularity. Alpha Sat definitely has the potential to be a good channel, especially if they bothered going after some sports rights. They do show some games periodically, but they are almost never advertised.

Who need channels anymore when you can go to Greek torrents sites and watch them at your convenience. I download a lot of Greek series from mega antenna alpha. Believe it or not I wish they had the commercials :D

These torrent sites are great, especially for people who like a certain series and want to keep them since they are never released on DVD in Greece. There is also a website that uploads most Greek series for online viewing usually the day after.

I was just thinking that Greek TV abroad has probably reached its peak and is going downhill. Now that a lot of the older immigrants are dying , the young kids aren't interested in subscribing to Greek Tv or care about Greek sports.

• 2 months later...

That has been there for a while now, I think since the time Kontominas owned the channel before the Germans took over. Nice banner but they have no website (its been saying 'coming soon' for years now) and the email link for Alpha Sat does not work.

I wonder if RTL Group is even interested in operating this channel, if they don't shut it down they will keep it going and fill it with old Alpha programs I bet. Alpha has turned into the reality network in Greece, non-stop crappy reality shows, not my cup of tea sorry. :tdown:

I did not hear anything about Alpha Sat leaving from the North America market . It has taken Alpha 5 years to get on DirecTV why will RTL take the Alpha channel down.

If Alpha Sat leaves the Star Channel will take its place on DirecTV.

DKSat

I did not hear anything about Alpha Sat leaving from the North America market . It has taken Alpha 5 years to get on DirecTV why will RTL take the Alpha channel down.

I did not say Alpha Sat was leaving, merely speculating that since the channel is now owned by someone else and that someone else is a foreign company that maybe they are not interested in keeping the international service going?! It doesn't matter how long it took them to get on DirecTV, that was a different Alpha- the one owned by Kontominas. At the end of the day it all comes down to $$, if they are making money off Alpha Sat then it will continue operating, if its not profitable then they will probably look at shutting it down.

If Alpha Sat leaves the Star Channel will take its place on DirecTV.

That would be a dumb move IMO, if Alpha Sat happens to leave then they should replace it with ERT World not Star. ERT World would increase the value of the package and bring in more subs than Star Channel will, at least that is what I think?!

There are some Greek channels that broadcast in North America that are not profitable but they still broadcasting . When a Greek channel is broadcasting world wide they can charge more for advertising.

As long Antenna is broadcasting on Dish Network ERT World is not going to Directv

DKSat

Just get dishnetwork if you want ert. Not sure whats so special about directv unless you get the nfl package or mlb package.

It's not a matter of it being available on DirecTV or on any other platform just to get that platform over Dish, but because the other Greek channels are also on DirecTV and other platforms (like cable, including ANT1). Why should anyone who wants ERT be forced to get Dish Network while all the other channels are expanding onto other platforms making it much more flexible for customers. Why can't ERT also expand its offering, especially since it is supposed to be available widely since it is a government supported channel. (But that is a whole other argument, that has been covered here many times before) That's the main concern here.

• 1 month later...

Archived