Phantis Forums

APOEL vs Porto

Euro2004

APOEL welcome Porto to Nicosia on Tuesday with hopes of continuing in Europe still very much alive. If APOEL do better against Porto than Atletico do against Chelsea then our hopes of seeing a Cypriot team not finish bottom are very much alive.

APOEL won 0-2 away at Aris yesterday while Porto drew 1-1 at home vs Belenenses.

Ivan Jovanović, APOEL coach

We're looking forward to the game. We hope it will be yet another exciting night of Champions League football. We have already seen that Porto are a very strong and determined side who play good attacking football. We gained experience from the first game and will be making some changes ahead of Tuesday's rematch. If we want to win, we will have to up the level of our performance, although that is never easy against such strong opponents. We will give our all against them because this game is very important to us. We want our first win in the group.

Jesualdo Ferreira, Porto coach

Our aim is to give our best and win all our games. This is a different match from the one in Porto and that is how we'll approach it. To win, we will have to play even better than we did in the first game against APOEL, who will be much stronger at home with a full stadium behind them. We saw from the match in Porto that APOEL are a good team so we will need to overcome the problem of our missing players and motivate the side. We respect our opponents, we know they will be tougher at home, but as with all the games in our group we want to win

Team news

APOEL

Out: Adrian Sikora (knee), Marcin Żewłakow (calf)

Doubtful: Paulo Jorge (leg muscle tear), Altin Haxhi (calf), Kamil Kosowski (knee)

Suspended: none

Misses next match if booked: Marinos Satsias

Porto

Out: Diego Valeri (ankle), Fucile (thigh), Miguel Lopes (thigh), Silvestre Varela (thigh)

Suspended: Mariano González

Misses next match if booked: none

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/fixtu...0426/index.html

If Porto play a decent game v. Atletico Madrid, it will come down to APOEL - Atletico at the GSP.

Hopefully, APOEL will also make a decent appearance at Stamford Bridge for the sake of the Cypriot community of London.

Btw, I thought APOEL deserved a draw v. Porto.

I think they deserved TWO draws against Porto. I didn't see the whole first game (tried to watch the game while on vacation in Greece but the malakes at the magazi kept changing to the Real-Milan game :angry: )

We could have had a very different standing in the group right now. But that's typical for a little team i suppose. They get unlucky even when they play well. I see a slim chance of Apoel grabbing the third spot. A must win against Atletico and then hopefully they lose points in their other game. Forget about Chelsea! If they can keep the numbers down to a few goals in the back, that would be impressive even!

Guys it's time people wrote to complain to UEFA about their conduct regarding Greek and Cypriot teams in Europe. UEFA have taken things to a new low. They've charged APOEL and will fine them with a possible fan ban too because APOEL fans had Greek flags at the game against Porto. Sportdog.gr are holding a poll on the issue and the results are as follows:

Archived