Phantis Forums

2010 World cup qualification -- UEFA Second Round

as5664

whats with all the negative vibes? GEEEZ....if u guys were on the team then you would surely lose......if u dont think you can win, then you have no business even playing these games....

u have to be philosophical about things...if we play well, we can pass through....if we dont we wont...i think our chances are about 40% we can go through....if we fancy ourselves as a "big" team, then these are the games we have to win....i am not a blind fanatic, i am realistic.....and the fact is our footballing nation status will always be like this (when other teams have the balls to say publically they prefer to play Greece) until we begin to win these types of games....

i agrre with the analysis of being 2nd in a group that had no teams better than Ukraine...i agree...but, each game presents a different set of circumstances...in my opinion, our guys "take time off" during a match and those letdowns cause problems....if u saw the lux game we quit after 2-0....and in moldva we thought we had it in the bag....lapses in concentration.......

so at somepoint, we are going to come together as a group, now that otto seems to have settled on a finite group of guys.....remember that ukraine is acustomed to our defensive style...its why i think we need to put them back on their heels immediately and push - force them to play us differently.....

again, iam realistic...and you are not going out on a limb by saying we wont go through...but, we are not lux either you know...and at any mommnet we are capable of beating anyone....why not now against ukrain? i mean they aint brazil....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do totally understand and appreciate what you're saying Euro2004. I really thought that things would change after 2004 - both the Olympics and what happened in Portugal - but things seem to have taken a step backwards since then; not just on the pitch, but the way fans still are at the games and the club-over-country mentality which seems to rule.

But England have never won a tournament in my life time, let alone this decade. You folks know, better than most, that the impossible can happen. (You also managed to qualify for Euro2008, when we didn't).

Of course, a lot of it comes down to luck. If Russia hadn't hit the post in the group game in 2004, you'd have been out of the tournament / if Moldova hadn't scored in the 90th minute this year, you'd be going to South Africa already.

But, I still think hope is also important. So I'm certainly going to keep believing that they can beat Ukraine...

Ukraine's results have not been impressive other than a win v. England when they were practically already through.

We've played them before and we know them. Maybe it's best we got a tough opponent because we tend to muck up with the Moldovas and Luxembourgs of this planet.

My first reaction to the draw, very pleased. This is our chance to get revenge on Ukraine. I will never forget how we lost in Karaiskakis and it serves right Greece should get another crack at him. You guys should not fear a team like Ukraine. There no Brasil or Argentina or Spain. We can beat them if the Greeks can ever show some balls, show some flare, show some passion for the game. I'm going to Greece for the first leg and I will cheer on for them cause I have faith in them they will unexpectingly show up and play good.

WE CAN DO THIS ! MOLON LAVE !

:gr: :box: :gr: :box: :gr: :box: :gr:

I have to agree w/ mangas21; I think if they have their act together they will beat them and advance. Remember there was a shift after the locker room argument; things seemed to change for the better. Anyway if we can't beat Ukraine then we have no business being in the WC because chances are we'll be up against tougher opposition next summer. The ability is there, its a reality folks! It won't be luck or a miracle or any of that crap. Some fans may want to think about the fact that they need our support. But you have to believe it.

thnx c....look i think we have enough skill to get to the WC and to advance a round, or two....i am this teams worst critic, and a crazy fan at the same time, like all of us....but i can and am objective for the sake of a meaningful discussion...

we have enough guys...the problem is this team lacks chemistry...witout it there is no trust, and without that there is no propensity to take chances....all u need to do is use the 04 team as an example of how far you can go with unity, effort, chemistry and trust.....

for us, off the ball tactics, rugged physical play and confidence in the way we play is key.....04 team had the same guys time after time...they develop a rythym, a chemistry, everyone knew what the other guys were gonna do in every given situation that came up, instantaneously and without hesitation.....at this level a split second delay in making the pass or picking up the man, or shooting is all it takes....this team is still in second gear trying to find itself....otto is to blame for not bringign young guys in earlier and creating CONSISTENCY among the [players and an identity that they can collectively practice and eventually execute....

any team sport is disrupted when u are constantly chnaging personel.....i hope the next two games will show a more unified squad.....i dont really care about offensive soccer defensive soccer thats all garbage...winning soccer is what matters, and if w had the gys to play like 04 then sure....but we dont...

i thnk with this squad we need to push the mids up (toro/kast/de niro) and put a little more pressure on the other teams defense....this way we force them to counter...if you force the other team to make the perfect pass or the perfect long ball then if they do it, hats off...but more oftent hat not they dont.......

just my opinion.....

I think if they stick w/ the line up/formation they had in the last 2 games the chemistry will develop. And there's still time: They'll play something like 7 friendlies before next summer. Toro, De Niro, Samaras, Kats, Ninis, Gekas: I think they can create something good if they get enough playing time together.

otto is the key....if he resorts to the tight, "play not to lose" style like he did in sweden, we are dead......04 style is dead, we dont have the personel for that....just because you "playin to win" does not mean necessarily your chances of winning decrease.....i actually think if we give ukrain a new look, it will take them a while to adjust to it....but since away goals count more, i can see otto plaing a 11-0-0 formation.....hope not

Ukraine's results have not been impressive other than a win v. England when they were practically already through.

We've played them before and we know them. Maybe it's best we got a tough opponent because we tend to muck up with the Moldovas and Luxembourgs of this planet.

Everything is relative. If they were about to play Spain then their results aren't impressive, but they are about to play Greece.

Earning a 0-0 draw away in Croatia is impressive.

They also won 1-3 in Kazakhstan which we not is not easy.

Even the 2-1 defeat at Wembley is pretty impressive. England needed an 85th min goal to win.

Whatever you say, they were in a tougher group than us and averaged 2.5 goals a game while conceding 0.6 goals a game. That's impressive, and let's not forget how much more of an advantage they'll have by playing us in the snow in November

I would of preffered drawing France so we can end the misery earlier than later. Even if Greece qualifies for next summer, we will be ridiculed in front of the hole world. It will be embarrassing, no need for this eliminate the squad leave them go home and drink some metaxa or ouzo either way let them relax instead.

The way I see it Greece must get at least a two goal win at home in order to advance.

A one goal lead just won't hold up in the Ukraine.

If I recall correctly during the 1-0 loss to the Ukraine at home the last time they played a couple of goals were called back due to offside and there was a missed chance from 1 meter away before the Ukraine took advantage of a Greek miscue.

Greece must push forward and put the Ukraine away.

I would of preffered drawing France so we can end the misery earlier than later.

Greece's possible opponents were Ukraine, Slovenia, Bosnia and Ireland. Not France...

Archived