Phantis Forums

2010 World cup qualification -- UEFA Second Round

as5664

my bad, i forgot ukraine in lieu of France....

you know Ukraine is funny..they have the potential to SELF IMPLODE more so than the others....(they a little likes greeks only they play chess instead of tavli) i think your assessment of "styles" is correct about the mics....they understand that their biggest asset is passionate, determined play - they play within their ability...their experience in big games is lacking and IT may be what cost them...i play against irish immigrants and i know their mentality (and Ukrain as well) and understand ho wthey go about things....our style (whatever it is - see my "who am I" posts) is better suited for yugoslavain ball - i see slovenia as the serbia B team...but in either case, at this level there are no upsets, but there are preferences....

i say it again: if we bring our A game then we can beat ANY TEAM - including these three...we lack consistent effort....thats teh probelm....how else can u explain the team that we beat 5-2 goes in and beats a team that we tied 1-1?

if the D gets right, the mids push it up a bit, ithink samara/gekas/ salpi (everyone disses him but i am telling u he will surprise if he plays) can do some damge up front....but but but but - our team needs to know how (otto fukced up here by waiting) to manipulate more offfensive pressure into less attacking by the opposition....if teams know we gonna lay back they will take chances on O and pressure us...if they know we are pushing they will keep and extra guy back and not take chances except on a counter...which, if you dont play countering football, it can be diffiucult to adapt in the middle of the game.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're good but let's not overrate them. Last year (or was it 2007?) we beat them (over two games) 7-1 ...

They are a totally different team. Only 1 player remains from the 11 that we beat 0-4 & 3-2.

Their goalkeeper (Supic) is 6"6 and although he can put in some excellent displays on his day, he was so bad for Anorthosis this season (he was signed in the summer) that he was released after only 3 games! :D

Jahic we know, he plays for AEK.

Spahic is a left back, nothing special. plays for Montpellier.

Safet Nadarević is a defender that plays for Esikisehspor. I don't know too much about him but Bosnia aren't great at the back so he's part of a weak-ish unit.

Senidad Ibričić is a midfielder that plays for Hadjuk and has impressed me in the past. He's skillful.

Samir Muratović a midfielder that plays for Sturm Graz. Don't know that much about him but we can keep an eye on him on Thursday when PAO play them at OAKA ;)

Elvir Rahimić is a quality holding midfielder that plays for CSKA Moscow. He's old but positionally very good.

Sejad Salihović - An excellent midfielder that plays for Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga. He's a danger from midfield and strikes a mean set piece.

Zvjezdan Misimović - He's German Champion with Wolfsburg and one of the best midfielders in the league. Clever, talented and a constant goal threat. One of their 2 star players.

Edin Džeko - He's a world class target man that's been linked with a host of super-clubs (Arsenal, Milan, Juve, etc) and if we draw them qualification may depend on how Kyrgiakos copes with him. He won the league with Wolfsburg last year scoring 38 goals in all competitions! :o and he has 14 in 21 for Bosnia! :o

Vedad Ibišević - Another quality striker that plays in the Bundesliga, averaging 1 goal in every 2 games he played for Hoffenheim last year (getting a total of 26).

on the bench they have Muslimovic who we know all about and Lyon's 19 year old wonder-kid: Pjanic.

Trust me Genome, these guys are the real deal. Especially going forward (they averaged 2.5 goals a game in qualifying!). They'd still be my 2nd choice, rather than Ukraine and Ireland but they are very dangerous. 5x better than the team we beat 0-4 and 3-2 a couple of years ago.

good point A....in the end it boils down to that...your only as good as the results you bring, period...

ukraine are tough but we can also be tough when our heads are on straight...otto tactics and strategy will be a big factor...but ultimately the boys need to rally, take it upon themselves to get it done.....

should all be good matches.....

Get over it people. We playing Krajina not Brazil.

If we can't get through over 2 legs then we don't deserve to be going to the World Cup.

Let's hope Otto chokes on a Pretzel before the matches.

ZHTW ELLAS!

I have seen nothing to suggest we can beat them.

They are solid defensively, concedeing merely 6 goals in a tough group of 10 games. They also have a very difficult stadium where the snow will fall while they're backed by a hostile fan-base, AND they play the 2nd leg at home.

I really can't see us doing it.

The draw is in our favor, ok, I know some of you thought we were in a place to beat France, Portugal, etc ... but this is not 2004 (or in Portugal's case, 2004 or 2008 :D). Ukraine is very possible. But if we show up like we always do when a chance is thrown to us, thinking that Ukraine is somehow lesser than us and that somehow we have a divine right to play in the WC because of 2004 (I think some players may still think like this) then we're done for.

Show up, play ball, and we will WIN! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Okay so Greece is playing the Ukraine. It should be a good test to see if they are worthy of being in the World Cup.

What I don't understand is why Greece plays at home first. I see this being an advantage to the Ukraine because when they play the 2nd game at home they know exactly what type of lineup they need to secure a good home result.

Also I wonder does the home team get to see the opposition starting lineup first or are both lineups sealed just before game time.

If I had a choice I would want Greece to play on the road first and then depending on the result they could put in a defensive team at home or an offensive team if several goals are required.

If this is pre-ordained then Greece didn't have a choice.

In my opinion this series could go either way.

any three opponents could go either wya, even if we drew slovenia....

the point is shut up and play ball....leave it on the field, and then you can hold your head up high no matter what the result....if you are not good enough, you are not good enough...nothing you can do about it...but no excuse for lackidasical play...

the effort you give u can control....funny thing is if we play an A game we will go through..Ukraine is a bit inconsistent...

realistically, I see a 2-1 win in greece and a 2-0 loss in Ukraine......if the thye manage to get through, they will certainly deserve it, this is their mini-world cup

IF WE GO IN TIMID AND PLAYING "NOT TO LOSE", THEN WE WILL BE WATCHING THE WORLD CUP WITH FRAPPE IN HAND......WE MUST GO IN THIS SERIES WITH A SWAGGER AND ATTITUDE THAT UKRAINE SHOULD FEAR US - NOT TEHOTHER WAY AROUND...WE NEED TO GET TEHM TO PLAY OUR GAME, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

i am glad they got ukraine...maybe it will wake them up to the fact tehy need to be serious - and dont forget, we know this team...we know their tendencies and what they do best...easier to plan for that than against a team you have not played before (or recently)

The second leg will be in Greece, won't it? Home advantage for the second leg as Greece are seeded. Thought that's how it would work.

No. Whoever was drawn out first plays at home in the first game.

I see a 0-0 or 1-1 in Greece (probably Crete UKChris but it hasn't been finalised yet) and a 2-0 loss in the Ukraine.

I think we've got to remain upbeat. I honestly think that Greece can win this tie. They just need to show the desire, the belief and the ability. There's plenty of countries (Turkey, Czech Republic, Croatia, Sweden) who would LOVE to be in Greece's position. We shouldn't be talking about defeat.

The English bookmakers have Greece as favourites to win the first leg. And bookies don't get it wrong too often.

Believe folks, believe...

I think we've got to remain upbeat. I honestly think that Greece can win this tie. They just need to show the desire, the belief and the ability. There's plenty of countries (Turkey, Czech Republic, Croatia, Sweden) who would LOVE to be in Greece's position. We shouldn't be talking about defeat.

The English bookmakers have Greece as favourites to win the first leg. And bookies don't get it wrong too often.

Mate you believe because you support England. You have world class players, some of the best international fans in the world and great heart. It's easy to believe in that scenario.

I have had my belief knocked out of me by constant disappointments. The 2 weeks during Euro 2004 were the best days of my life. Since then we've had very few wonderful moments. Winning in Turkey was amazing but apart from that it's been filled with heart-crushing disappointment at NT level.

We were in a group where every team was weaker than the Ukraine and we finished 2nd. On top of that the manager has lost the plot and most of the fans don't care (if i can get tickets I'll be flying over to Greece to chant until my voice box collapses but there will be people that live down the street from the stadium and chant their arses off for their clubs every week that won't even bother to go to the game!). Furthermore, Switzerland was the "big game" in the group. The opponent we needed results against (hence a similar scenario to a play off) and we lost both games.

It's hard to believe mate. I'm hoping for a miracle, but hope and belief are miles apart from eachother.

P.S. the bookies may rarely get it wrong, but that's not comforting right now because they are favourites to qualify

Mate you believe because you support England. You have world class players, some of the best international fans in the world and great heart. It's easy to believe in that scenario.

I have had my belief knocked out of me by constant disappointments. The 2 weeks during Euro 2004 were the best days of my life. Since then we've had very few wonderful moments. Winning in Turkey was amazing but apart from that it's been filled with heart-crushing disappointment at NT level.

We were in a group where every team was weaker than the Ukraine and we finished 2nd. On top of that the manager has lost the plot and most of the fans don't care (if i can get tickets I'll be flying over to Greece to chant until my voice box collapses but there will be people that live down the street from the stadium and chant their arses off for their clubs every week that won't even bother to go to the game!). Furthermore, Switzerland was the "big game" in the group. The opponent we needed results against (hence a similar scenario to a play off) and we lost both games.

It's hard to believe mate. I'm hoping for a miracle, but hope and belief are miles apart from eachother.

you are so right!!!

Archived