Phantis Forums

WCQ: Cyprus-Bulgaria

Omonoia9

Cyprus closes out its home schedule at home to Bulgaria. Bulgaria, who retain slim hopes at 2nd in Group 8, will be all in. Throughout the campaign, Cyprus has hopped between Larnaca and Lefkosia, and this one will be at Stadio Antonis Papadopoulos in Larnaca. Join me for discussion as this comes immediately before the pivotal Greece game in Athens.

Cyprus closes out its home schedule at home to Bulgaria. Bulgaria, who retain slim hopes at 2nd in Group 8, will be all in. Throughout the campaign, Cyprus has hopped between Larnaca and Lefkosia, and this one will be at Stadio Antonis Papadopoulos in Larnaca. Join me for discussion as this comes immediately before the pivotal Greece game in Athens.

Are you sure it's in Larnaca?

CYPRUS XI

16 Avgousti

2 Christou

6 Avraam

7 Aloneftis

8 Ilia

10 Charalambidis

11 M. Konstantinou

12 Makridis

13 Michael

17 Satsias

18 Dobrasinovic

BENCH

1 Morfis

3 Papathanasiou

4 A. Konstantinou

5 Alexandrou

9 Efraim

14 Maragkos

15 Nikolaou

Substitutions for Bulgaria

A goalkeeper change after the 3rd goal

Mihaylov IN

Ivankov OUT

Domochiyskiy IN

S. Petrov OUT

Stilian Petrov also received a yellow

Yanev IN

Bozhinov OUT

I remember a time when this would've been unthinkable! :o

Bravo to Cyprus where we see what some organisation and hard work can do... even with ethnic Greek players! :rolleyes:

If anything I think the Cypriot national team lacks organisation. They are incapable of defending. The success has been achieved by playing positive attacking football with short passes in midfield, fast wingers and 2 dangerous forwards, which makes the progress even more remarkable.

Overall I'm disappointed though. Cyprus deserved 4 points against Ireland and ended up with 0, deserved 3 points against Italy and lost, etc. The team underachieved in this campaign which is disappointing because it was a weak group.

It's good that we're seeing Cypriot football in this light and are expecting more from our players.

Btw, which of the Cypriot players could make it in Italy, Spain or Germany? None of them made it in mainland Greece! That's what I mean by organisation: they play football correctly, they each know where their teammates are, they know what to do in certain situations and they don't fear names. Furthermore, they are a unit. Can you say that about the Elladites???

It's good that we're seeing Cypriot football in this light and are expecting more from our players.

Btw, which of the Cypriot players could make it in Italy, Spain or Germany? None of them made it in mainland Greece! That's what I mean by organisation: they play football correctly, they each know where their teammates are, they know what to do in certain situations and they don't fear names. Furthermore, they are a unit. Can you say that about the Elladites???

Some Cypriot players have had moderate success in Greece.

Archived