Phantis Forums

APOEL's CL group

Irlandos

Well maybe youll pull a suprise draw, good luck...

Look at that group. Atleti, Porto, Chelsea...then.....APOEL.

Sorry Cyp fans, but this is exactly what happens when you force teams through without the proper qualification process to qualify --- make sure teams are tested to have the proper ability to get to the next round. Copenhagen wasnt easy, but compared to oppositio APOEL would have to face in real seeded draw, it's definitley easy.

Well maybe youll pull a suprise draw, good luck...

Look at that group. Atleti, Porto, Chelsea...then.....APOEL.

Sorry Cyp fans, but this is exactly what happens when you force teams through without the proper qualification process to qualify --- make sure teams are tested to have the proper ability to get to the next round. Copenhagen wasnt easy, but compared to oppositio APOEL would have to face in real seeded draw, it's definitley easy.

I'm not being funny but that's an elitist and arrogant view of football. Take out last season and we (PAO) have been pathetic in Europe in recent seasons. What makes us or Olympiakos better candidates than APOEL?

You do realise that Rapid Wien (a team that Ano knocked out last season and that APOP were VERY unlucky not to beat this season) just knocked Aston Villa out of the Europa League tonight. Cypriot football is very underrated and just because they're called "APOEL" rather than a more famous name doesn't mean anything. Do you think PAO will beat APOEL over two legs? The way we're playing I wouldn't be so sure. The fact is we don't deserve to be in Europe this year simply because we can't defend. If we were in this group would we have faired any better than APOEL?

Do you think PAO will beat APOEL over two legs? The way we're playing I wouldn't be so sure.

oh, even with this crap defense, it would be a walkover... 3-0, 3-0 both legs..

APOEL is the luckiest team to be in this year's Champions League. They had two pathetic games against FC Kobenhavn and thanks to the Danish side's disability in finishing they made it. Period!

Last year's Anorthosis, well.. they were in another galaxy compared to this APOEL team.

oh, even with this crap defense, it would be a walkover... 3-0, 3-0 both legs..

APOEL is the luckiest team to be in this year's Champions League. They had two pathetic games against FC Kobenhavn and thanks to the Danish side's disability in finishing they made it. Period!

Last year's Anorthosis, well.. they were in another galaxy compared to this APOEL team.

That's simply not true. APOEL were the much better team yesterday. They weren't pinned back in the 2nd half, they sat back. There's a difference.

Here we go again people see what they want to see!! The jealous small minded people are coming out of the woodwork.

The tired old rubbish about being lucky etc etc.

Well I'll make a prediction....

Even if Apoel lose heavily against any of these teams they will go out fighting and totally committed. They will always try to pass the ball with a purpose and show skill also.

It will not be this tippy tappy timid football that passes for "tactical" games favoured by some.

All I know is that for the second year running a Cyprus team has a side in the champions league.

To may people on this site spend ages talking about coefficients, tactics etc as if football is a game of chess. Thats why their teams are so boring!!!

To many people on this site spend ages talking about coefficients, tactics etc as if football is a game of chess. Thats why their teams are so boring!!!

Ok, I'll go on a limb and say this is the funniest comment posted ever in this forum!! :LOL:

Football is a sort of a game of chess, it's true!! B)

If it wasn't Greece wouldn't win the EURO with no name players, Galatasaray wouldn't eliminate teams like Arsenal, Leeds, Milan, Deportivo and Real Madrid in their prime, Chelsea wouldn't come to the edge of eliminating almighty Barcelona or Anorthosis wouldn't rock past OSFP and PAO in 15 days last year!

But there is and must be a distinct seperation between hard work & skill-driven success and success based on pure luck! Right ?

APOEL's goal should be to fill the GSP to capacity in all three games and do their best in all 6 games.

I have seen Chelsea and Atletico recently and they are not beatable. Porto, on the other hand, are not the team of the past. A good show from our yellow-blues could earn some point(s) for them, at home at least.

GS1905

If you think my comments were the funniest youve ever read on this forum then perhaps you need to get out more!!

everyone knows tactics has a place in any sport otherwise you would play football the way children play it in the playground.

The point I am making, which I suggest most people would grasp is that when a team plays their football with more emphasis on tactics, tactics,tactics and show no passion in carrying out those tactics or even are timid on the pitch then they will win nothing.

All of those sides you mentioned employed tactics to win their respective games but they were coupled with passion, will to win and determination. By playing this way they increased their chances of success, they made their own luck.

Anorthosis proved it last year and Apoel have proved it this year even if they lose all their remaining games.

Do you think it was just tactics that enabled Anorthosis to knock trabzonspor out of the UEFA cup.

Mr GS1905 you were so desperate to knock Apoels acheivements that you practically fell over yourself to paint them as lucky. Perhaps a more measured approach to your debating skills needs to be employed. Perhaps more tactical.

Oh my, this guy's heaps of fun! Why didn't I come across him before? :tup: :tup:

I'm definitely not saying tactics is all and heart & eagerness to win has nothing to do with it! But sometimes you need luck! In fact, more than just luck which is the case here! I'm not blaming APOEL for not having the heart to win or else, all I'm saying is they are the luckiest team in this year's competition who are in the group stage proper! I can't see anything aggressive or 'knee-faltering' here, just a comment stating my opinion about a team which will play in the group stage. All the members know here how my posts generally are and what their content basically is. I don't like Fenerbahce/Olympiacos or in fact loathe them but when I'm commenting on one of their games for example, with a touch of verwe and ironic humour, I try to make objective comments.

and to make things clear for your understanding, it WAS tactics that won the tie for Anorthosis against Trabzonspor. If Ketsbaia did not replace that poor left-back who was pounded by Yattara on 30 minutes in the first leg with Altin Haxhi, it would definitely be a Trabzon victory. Why? Because Yattara was sent off for elbowing Haxhi who put the shackles on him and that substitution turned the tie round!

As I said, I don' think there is anything aggressive or humiliating in my posts. If you really want that sort of language, you definitely are at the wrong address, mate! :unsure:

Well to be fair you're bound to rustle a few feathers GS1905 when you start calling APOEL pathetic and saying they're the luckiest team in the CL. Copenhagen were the better team in the first leg, APOEL were better in the 2nd. APOEL qualified. Yes they're up against some of the biggest teams in the world but they're a small team with a big heart and Anorthosis proved last year that heart can take you a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived