Phantis Forums

Kavala

NikosVazelas

• 2 weeks later...

lost at home to Asteras though...

Interesting team. They seemed good last year vs PAO in the Cup.

Now Leontiou and Stambolziev are loaned there for the season.

But how about this:

Kavala now have arguably one of the better rotation of keepers in Greece now:

Remember that keeper PAO played against in the UEFA Cup with RC Lens???

Charles Itandje....

He plays for Kavala now :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Charles Itandje is on loan from Liverpool to Kavala.

I've got to say I'm quite impressed with Kavala to pull that off. How on earth would that player whose been regular in French League, sign for Liverpool, accept a deal at a newly promoted Greek club who is aim is to stay in the top flight.

And just yesterday they announced the signing of Zelko Kalac :o

getting the backups from Milan and Liverpool, it is quite impressive for Kavala. Especially for goalkeeper, where one of them will have came to sit on the bench!

and then they have Katergiannakis.......

lost at home to Asteras though...

Interesting team. They seemed good last year vs PAO in the Cup.

Now Leontiou and Stambolziev are loaned there for the season.

But how about this:

Kavala now have arguably one of the better rotation of keepers in Greece now:

Remember that keeper PAO played against in the UEFA Cup with RC Lens???

Charles Itandje....

He plays for Kavala now :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Charles Itandje is on loan from Liverpool to Kavala.

I've got to say I'm quite impressed with Kavala to pull that off. How on earth would that player whose been regular in French League, sign for Liverpool, accept a deal at a newly promoted Greek club who is aim is to stay in the top flight.

And just yesterday they announced the signing of Zelko Kalac :o

getting the backups from Milan and Liverpool, it is quite impressive for Kavala. Especially for goalkeeper, where one of them will have came to sit on the bench!

and then they have Katergiannakis.......

Itanje is impressive but Kalac is 37 and was on his way back to the A-league. Kavala offered him a 2 year deal. He's a poor keeper though and Itanje will def start. I would have thought it would've been smarter to spend the cash on an outfield player rather than Kalac.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. That is'nt my point. I never thought Kalac was ever any good.

My point is that KAVALA, a tiny Greek club now has keeper from Liverpool and has the same #2 that AC MILAN had last year in the same spot.

Also, being 37 does not really affect your keeping abilities so much. Keepers have different playing life spans than other positions. This is kind of a given.

Big result in Faliro 0-0 vs OSFP...Good job Nea Kavala!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

AOK have completed the signings of Smolarek (Bolton), Sosin (Anorthosis) and Craig Moore (Brisbane Roar - is a former Newcastle Utd player and Aussie international).

Kavala remind me of Bolton under Alladyce (not in the way the play but in their approach to building a team), they've signed numerous players that played for bigger clubs but haven't been doing well lately. They've given these players a chance to revitalise their careers.

Smolarek was a central figure at Racing Santander only 2 years ago and was one of their better players. He was also Poland's star player in the qualifiers for Euro 2008. He's had a torrid time at Bolton though and they've just given him a chance. If he's hungry that's a huge signing.

Sosin has a tremendous goal scoring record in Cyprus and proved for Anorthosis that he can perform against the best in the CL. Towards the end of last year his form start to dip dramatically and with Mantzios signing he was allowed to leave. Nonetheless, despite being 32 years old he's a good goal scorer and could be a key player for AOK.

Dobrasinovic also came from Anorthosis. He's a solid midfield with sound technique and very good in the air. He's also a natural leader. He's also 32 and starting to slow down a little but he's experienced and has helped AOK.

They signed Kalac who was Dida's understudy at Milan and the Liverpool number 2 Itanje as the goalkeepers.

Wilson Oruma is a former Marseille midfielder who was at Guingamp last year (they made the French Cup final). Fredric Mendy was at St Etienne.

Ducrocq (former PSG), former Dynamo Kiev player Diogo Rincon, Onwuachi (from APOEL) who has been superb for them this year! And they've also got alot of good Greek talent: Leontiou (on loan from PAO), Soultanidis, Lakis, etc.

I really like them. They play good football at home and they have a real shot at making a play off spot this year.

Edited by Euro2004

• 4 weeks later...

Greek Side Kavala Appoint Aad De Mos As New Head Coach

De Mos has been named as the new man in charge at Kavala...

By Stefan Coerts

Jan 29, 2010 4:39:00 PM

Kavala have made the decision to appoint Dutch coach Aad de Mos as the new man in charge at the Greek league's 10th-placed side. De Mos has signed a contract until the end of the season at his new club.

"I have signed a six-month contract at Kavala. However, we both have the intention to continue our collaboration after this season," said De Mos to Voetbal International.

"I will start the job on Friday and make my debut in the match against Iraklis Salonica on Saturday. We could make a move on the transfer market after Saturday, but we have yet to discuss that.

"There are plenty of possibilities to do something on the transfer market. Kavala are a very ambitious club and especially the president. He wants to win the Greek league within four years, and is willing to go far to achieve his goal.

Kavala returned to Greece's top tier last summer and have several big names in their current squad with players such as Zeljko Kalac, Craig Moore and Ebi Smolarek.

http://www.rs.goal.com/en/news/117/greece/...-new-head-coach

Psomiadis really is ambitious! Winning the league within 4 years is unlikely but they could become a play-off team no problem! They've given yet another big name the opportunity to resurrect his career, signing the immensely talented former Brazilian international Denilson. Personally I'm not getting to excited about it, he's just been playing in Vietnam. He has no hunger and I expect him to be another Amoroso type signing. He'll be gone in the sumemr

Edited by Euro2004

• 9 years later...