Phantis Forums

Confederations Cup

drakos13

I like the way South Africa played this game, they actually looked better than Brazil for most of the game. Pienar can make some good runs down the field with the ball, Booth is a big presence in the back, he might of had some chances at heading it in if their corner kicks weren't so horrible.

Dani Alves free kick was sick, I rate this guy way up there. Don't forget Alves was on the bench till the last 5 min., no Ronaldinho, no Juninho, no Alex. Still I wasn't expecting South Africa to play that well.

I was also hoping to see Pato thrown in there around the 75th min. after nothing was being produced inside the box.

USA v. Brazil will be exciting. Hopefully a good performance by the USA will inspire more interest in soccer for my fellow citizens. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the USA that played Spain shows up, and the Brazil that showed up against South Africa shows, the USA will take it. But I think Brazil will have enough a sense of urgency to get it done

USA v. Brazil will be exciting. Hopefully a good performance by the USA will inspire more interest in soccer for my fellow citizens. :)

Its much popular among younger generations....

Older ones, theres no hope.

USA beats Spain it doesnt even make headlines under stupid Clebrity Breakups..

Obama is a fan though :tup: - he'll be going to the WC in 2010 - something great for the image of USA, and for the reputation of Soccer amongst Americans and its significance to the world.

And come on - you have to admit Obama is an awesome president - since he was elected, USA made a final of a major world competition :P

Itll be a good final, but if USA keeps up that heart, they can definitley take it....and finally shutup the ignorant Western Europeans, if that hasnt been done already... :tup:

It's absolutely ridiculous that Spain's 35 match unbeaten record is ended by a team whose fans -if any :LOL: - have nothing to do with football proper.. They're probably much more interested in Rihanna's girlhood boyfriend :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ruthless thing football!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

and about the Brazil v South Africa game, Dunga was being cynical with Maicon I could say! I don't know how many times the Turkish commentator said during the game that it's silly to bench Dani Alves as he's the world's best right-wing back at the moment.

to be fair, both at Inter, in the Turkish press and generally in football public, I cannot understand the hype around Maicon. He's 28, two years older than Alves and whenever I watched him he sucked. He was below-par against Man Utd in the CL, he disappears in Inter's derby games in Serie A, all of a sudden he makes two assists against Siena and becomes the world's best right sided full-back!

:o

sorry everyone but, when there's Dani Alves in there, when there's Sergio Ramos in there, when there's play-at-every-position Lahm in there, even with this year's performance when there's Arbeloa in there, I would only write this Maicon guy down as an average right-side player.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Spain's 35 match unbeaten record is ended by a team whose fans -if any :LOL: - have nothing to do with football proper.. They're probably much more interested in Rihanna's girlhood boyfriend :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ruthless thing football!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah but when new generations take over, football will have more importance, you'll see. It's going to grow more. National teams in general don't have much sense of pride or national coverage in the public. There are a lot of people who do care, but it would be very tough to get the naiton out into the streets after winning such a tournament....People just don't find it such a big deal for America to win in sports - even if it has a weaker position in the world like USA.

Maicon is not average man good god the guy is a beast. Maybe he had a crap game vs RSA, but was great in the other games, and quite an important player for Inter too. I heard Brazil in general sucked that game....

FIFA Confederations Cup Results

Gold- Brazil

Silver-USA

Bronze-Spain

4th- South Africa

So Brazil comes from down 2-0 at the half to beat the upstart American team 3-2. This was a fun tournament to watch. Spain beats South Africa 3-2 in extra time in the 3rd place match

Disappointing match for me, the second goal really had me going. I watched the match at a bar and was surprised to hear some Americans saying they were cheering for Brazil! :o

Brazil scored 4 goals, the picture of Howard doing the " :nono: " was funny, that was definitely a goal (sorry Howard). Another slap on the face of FIFA who refuse instant replay.

Edited by BlueStriker

• 7 years later...

Though I am not very interested in this tournament, that starts today, there are some Greek influences.

The winner of the last 3 cups (Brazil 2005-2009-2013) is absent this time.

Group A: Russia, New Zealand, Portugal and Mexico

Group B: Cameroon, Chile, Australia and Germany

In the squad of New Zealand we have Themis Tzimopoulos (PAS Giannina) and Kostas Barbarousis (Wellington Phoenix);

In the squad of Cameroon Jerome Guihoata (Panionios) and Olivier Boumal (Panathinaikos) have a link with Greece.

• 3 weeks later...

Did just see 2.5 games of this tournament, so I can't comment on the level of the play the teams displayed.

But once again Gary Lineker's famous quote was applicable:

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

Final: Chile - Germany 0-1. Goal scored by Lars Stindl.

Germany join a list of champions of this tournament 

Brazil - 4 (1997, 2005, 2009, 2013) 
France - 2 (2001, 2003) 
Mexico - 1 (1999)
Denmark - 1 (1995)
Argentina - 1 (1992) 

Edited by Molon Lave