Phantis Forums

WC Qualifier: Cyprus-Montenegro

Omonoia9

Well you know, flashes of brilliance, like the Germany draw, the 5-2 spanking of Ireland, and the good performance in a losing effort to Italy, they are just that, flashes of brilliance. Cyprus is getting there, but they're not as close as they lead us to believe. I still think Cypriot football has come a long way in the last 5 years or so

Well you know, flashes of brilliance, like the Germany draw, the 5-2 spanking of Ireland, and the good performance in a losing effort to Italy, they are just that, flashes of brilliance. Cyprus is getting there, but they're not as close as they lead us to believe. I still think Cypriot football has come a long way in the last 5 years or so

The problem with Cyprus is that they're great going forward but can't defend. They also miss loads of chances despite dominating games. Until they become more clinical up front and tighter at the back then we'll never see the island in a major competition. If Cyprus were tighter and were able to hold on for the win against Montenegro, Cyprus would've been merely 5 points behind Ireland with a game in hand and with Ireland due to visit Cyprus. Hence the dream would've still been alive. Now Cyprus have to win all their games, including away in Italy :whistle:

The problem with Cyprus is that they're great going forward but can't defend. They also miss loads of chances despite dominating games. Until they become more clinical up front and tighter at the back then we'll never see the island in a major competition. If Cyprus were tighter and were able to hold on for the win against Montenegro, Cyprus would've been merely 5 points behind Ireland with a game in hand and with Ireland due to visit Cyprus. Hence the dream would've still been alive. Now Cyprus have to win all their games, including away in Italy :whistle:

It's not even so much qualification. I mean that would be great, but for now, i'd just be happy, with pushing for it. 4/6, that's better than the usual 2nd to last but I still feel they could do better. At least I am still half Greek, and the ethniki is looking good to win their group, so I still have that to hang on to, and in the meantime with Cyprus, you know, little successes along the way can be just as rewarding

Archived