Phantis Forums

Can PAOK Do It?

Paoktsis

Can PAOK finish 2nd with 2 games remaining?

PAOK has the following games left. Away vs Xanthi, and home vs. Panserraikos. Needles to say, PAOK has to win out with the key game being next week at Xanthi.

PAO has the following games left. Away vs Panserraikos and Home vs OFI. The only chance for PAOK is, if Panserraikos steals a point next week, because we all know if it comes down to the last week there is no way in hell OFI takes any points from that game ;) .

AEK (let's not forget about AEK currently 3 points back of both) has the follwoing games left. Home vs Aris and Away vs Ergotelis. Both are very tough must win games and, it would take a meltdown by both PAOK and PAO for AEK to get the second spot.

Finally, even if PAOK does not get the second spot, I'm resonably happy with the season my team has had and very proud of them. I'm glad we will have a chance to play in Europen Football again. I hope we can keep it up in the upcoming season.

One can make the argument that PAOK does not ultimately deserve the 2nd spot, given this years results vs the big three (see below). I will leave this open for your comments, but you can see how important it is in this league not to give points away at home, and to steal points on the road.

AEK - Home tie, Away Loss

PAO - Home tie, Away Loss

OSFP - Home tie, Away Loss

i wouldnt say PAOK deserves it. theyve kept up in points this year, but their games vs PAO were very poor.

Obviously I am a PAO fan, but as a Greek League supporter too, Greece desperately needs PAO to take that 2nd CL spot.

If its PAOK, then they have only a very small chance of making the CL (remember starts in 2nd round, and also the 3rd round for PAOK would be UNSEEDED so you could basically draw Milan, Valencia, etc) so theyd likley just end up in the UEFA Cup anyways. PAO makes it, they will be seeded, better funded, better experienced for the Greek League to make some points. Its the truth guys.

AEK same, although AEK or PAOK its possible to make it into the group stage, not likely to do anything. Its much better to have PAO in there, who have experience and a good run and should be strengthened again.

but - PAOK has had a strong season finally and shown to be pretty good so they deserve credit. They deserve top 3 finish for sure. Not sure about 2nd.

Drakos you certainly have an interesting prespective. My heart wants PAOK to finish 2nd, but you certainly make a good point about PAO having a better chance to earn points for Greece.

I agree to a certain extent but PAOK (aside from the derbies) has worked harder this year, another example of this being today's matchday. While PAOK won away from Skoda Xanthi, PAO drew away with Panserraikos (and I don't mean to disrespect Panserraikos here, but still) ...

My guess is PAO is not too concerned about 2nd or 3rd at the moment but will do very well in the play offs, just like last year when they started from a not so good position but ended up above AEK (which was placed above PAO at the beginning of the play offs) and all other play off teams.

Big development today as my team came through with a big away win and PAO stumbled against Panserraikos. PAOK need to take care of business next match, because PAO gets the 3 points against OFI for sure. PAOK can not underestimate Panserraikos, because as illustrated today against PAO you can not have a let down.

Genome, I see your point that anything can happen in the playoffs, and the difference between 2nd and 3rd doesn't matter that much in this format, but 2nd spot for PAOK in my eyes is very symbolic after the disaster of last year, and would mean a lot to all PAOK supporters. It would mean that PAOK is back (officially) as a top tier team in the Super League.

Panserraikos at home I wouldnt worry about - we played bad, but we had injuries and unluck to top it off (nothing would go in).....

PAO does not get 3 points against anybody for sure these days. I still think well beat OFI 1 or 2-0 though. Our injuries at the moment were pretty bad on us.

Mantzios, Karagkounis, Gabriel are badly missed.

PAOK can take second at the end of the season, but with a 2 point lead it doesnt translate to much in the playoffs. PAO played its best last year in the playoffs I thought.

i wouldnt say PAOK deserves it. theyve kept up in points this year, but their games vs PAO were very poor.

Obviously I am a PAO fan, but as a Greek League supporter too, Greece desperately needs PAO to take that 2nd CL spot.

If its PAOK, then they have only a very small chance of making the CL (remember starts in 2nd round, and also the 3rd round for PAOK would be UNSEEDED so you could basically draw Milan, Valencia, etc) so theyd likley just end up in the UEFA Cup anyways. PAO makes it, they will be seeded, better funded, better experienced for the Greek League to make some points. Its the truth guys.

AEK same, although AEK or PAOK its possible to make it into the group stage, not likely to do anything. Its much better to have PAO in there, who have experience and a good run and should be strengthened again.

but - PAOK has had a strong season finally  and shown to be pretty good so they deserve credit. They deserve top 3 finish for sure. Not sure about 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo re Tsalgik, as a poktsi I like your perspective better, and now that we are so close I want that 2nd spot more (playoffs or not)

You got the second spot and now is up to you to keep it so with all honesty,please keep it. :tup:

Archived