Phantis Forums

Israel - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a decent result, guys. The bookies had it down as a win for Israel. Well done for holding on Greece. If they played half as badly as RogueTrader said, but still got a point, then we should all be thankful!

Now, here's hoping it's about 6-0 to Greece on Wednesday...

Gents, I live in Australia, the game was on live via Setanta sports. We need new blood urgently. Greeks will see this as a good result away from home but it was anything but that. We lacked creativity in the midfield and pace just about everywhere.

Kostas Chalkias - didn't need to do much but was good when required. Not at fault for the goal

Giourkas Seitaridis - solid in defence, did well pushinf forward.

Traianos Dellas - has lost the little pace he had which makes him a liability.

Avraam Papadopoulos - waste of space. Got beaten to the ball every time.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos - see my previous posts.

Vassilis Torosidis - Awful. Not the Fyssas replacement we had hoped for.

Giorgos Karagounis - Once again the only spark in the midfield.

Angelos Basinas - look old and stale. Should retire.

Alexis Tziolis - We played with 10 men tonight cause this guy was at the Kafenio.

Theofanis Gekas - didn't stop running and trying, one of our best and got the goal.

Angelos Charisteas - blew hot and cold. Typical Charisteas.

As far as I'm concerned for Wednesday

GK - Kostas Chalkias

RB - Giourkas Seitaridis

CB - Traianos Dellas (Just)

CB - ?

LB - ?

RM - ?

CM - ?

CM - Giorgos Karagounis

LM - Angelos Charisteas

ST - Theofanis Gekas

ST - Giorgos Samaras

i am normally the most optimistic national team fan........but i have news boys and girls, we ain't goin nowhere......

this israeli team stunk today.....we had the hiehgt, we had the physical superiority and all the space in the world to manuever due to their weak defense.....and we did nothing......if cant beat these guys 4-0 then we dont deerve to anywhere...

in my opinion todays performance was abysmal....haristeas has to go,,,he has no skill whatsoever expet in the air, and he cant even do that right anymore....i love his hustel but we need skills.....ho spark anywhere....the team looks freakin dead....the only bright spots were gekas, and samaras (which i am surprised to hear my self ssay it).....maybe seitaridis here and there....and karagouni th e ony guy with some balls...

i am very disappointed with this showing....no freakin confidence to take the game to the isrealis.....

this freakin team was sssssso beatable today...

wow.....

we played very well, open, and created a LOT of chances but with a lot of sloppy mistakes.

Israel is not bad, but they definitly not as good as I thought they were. We should have won that game.

The pressure of the home crowd....made no difference as expected. Wierd, the Israelis were going crazy first half, second half it was dead quiet. Israeli anthem is very beautiful may I say.....

Charisteas.......simply atrocious. Hes SO BAD. PUT MANTZIOS IN THAT GAME AND WED HAVE TAKEN IT 3-1. Chari is slow, unaware, bad control, cant finish, poor insticts, and plain crap. He has a guaranteed 11 spot for 5 years now of total and utter CRAP performances - bar the 1-2 games hes made it to mediocre and maybe maximum 2 good games since Euro 2004. GET RID OF HIM.

We should play aggressive like that in Crete, and we should score at least 3 goals vs that team.

The team did not have trouble creating chances at all - we should have taken the 3 points.

A tie is NOT a good result against a CRAP TEAM. And yes, Israel played like a bunch of juniors. If Otto knew what he was doing and had a line up on the field that actually made sense, then we would have beaten them at least 3-0. Tziolis was awful today, did nothing right; Dellas was like a totem pole that doesn't move, I would have fired him today; Giourkas doesn't belong here; Toro was in his usual out of place position thanks to Otto; Basinas was okay, Patza was good and should have started; Kara was very good and yeah Rogue Trader was the only spark in midfield because he was THE ONLY ATTACKING MID. Haristeas was fine but as usual out of position thanks to...Gekas was great, Samaras was good and we were stringing together some good passes in the middle of the second half but thats not good enough, that won't cut it in the WC!

Geia sas! It is been quite some time since I last posted in here, and I have many things to say following todays match.

First off lets look at some positives,

1) We did not lose

2) We drew a decent team on their home team where many teams have struggled to come away with positive results.

3) Result should give them some confidence ahead of their next match

Aside form these few positives I was very frustrated watching this game. The first 20 minutes were absolutely unacceptable, playing with zero urgency, filling empty spaces when releasing the ball and movement into open spaces or checking into passes was non-existent. I am sorry, but at the interntional level of play conducting yourself in this manner on the pitch is unacceptable, yes there are times where your touch will let you down in a game however, making runs, filling spaces and making quality passes are parts of the game which all players should be able to do even on an off day.

There were so many counter attacks that were destroyed by greece becuase plaeyrs were looking for a mircale pass to the middle instead of feeding the open wings. Greece dosent have one striker who can turn on a defender in the bos and score, our best chances come from cross! SO WHY DONT THEY CROSS TEH DAM BALL WHEN SOME ONE IS OPEN ON THE WING! simple!!!!

Basinas, Dellas thank you for your contribution its time to stop playing for the national team, playing in cyprus and being benched(basinas) is not in the cards for the ethniki. Charisteas should not be starting anyomre, Mantzios, Samaras, Koustianokoulis are much better options.

Another serious problem is the mentality they have in games, we are sitting back against isreal!!! They have some technical players who can cuase damage however, outside of that there is not much! It is not as though they are playing Argentina and cannot afford to open up, physically and technically greece can dominate a team like this, however their mentality is pathetic.

They better wake up cause seeing as mitroglou and ninis are not shaping out to what they were hyped up to be Greece may not have another chance to make a world cup again for a long time.

Aide me ti niki gamwto kia ligo pathos!

I still think a draw is a decent result. The bookmakers thought Greece would lose, because a) they were at home B) they're unbeaten in qualifying and c) they're ranked above Greece in the FIFA rankings. You can't *expect* to win a game like that. Greece needed to get something out of the game, and they did - and it sounds like they gave it a good crack at getting a winner in the final few minutes.

Maybe it's because I'm a Panionios fan, but I think I'm a bit more inclined to try and look on the bright side than some of you folks (you can't expect the Greek national team to win every match like Olympiacos do!).

But, even having said that, Greece do really need to get a win on Wednesday night to stay in charge of the group.

Greece is tied with Switzerland for first but are technically ahead due to other tiebreakers, for the head-to-head is no longer the first tiebreaker. There were change made from 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification, where results between tied teams was the first tiebreaker.

The way it is now, if teams are even on points at the end of group play, the tied teams will be ranked as follows:

1) goal difference in all group matches

2) greater number of goals scored in all group matches

3) greater number of points obtained in matches between the tied teams

4) goal difference in matches between the tied teams

5) greater number of goals scored in matches between the tied teams

6) drawing of lots, or a play-off (if approved by FIFA)

Archived