Phantis Forums

Israel - Greece

dark_horse

Has Otto annouced which players from greek league will be on the squad??

Tzorvas

Giourkas..Dellas...Soto..Toro

Kara...Tziolis....Basinas

Charisteas..Gekas...Samaras

At this moment who are our IN form players?

We sit here arguing about Agritis,Pappas,Dimoutsos, god I've even fallen off the Choutos bandwagon!

Look at our front line YIKES..our mids .. both Cbacks are slow as hell, Jesus what has happened to this squad. The EPO did not turn this roster over at all. The worst thing that can happen to any sports franchise is leaving it get old and not lookng forward.

We have not developed 1 LB, 1 LOM ,1 NUMBER 10, 1 QUASI INTERNATIONAL STRIKER(that could play and STAR in smaller leagues other than our own...pou eisai re Machlas). The world plays the game with speed and skill,with aggressive runs from backs,box to box mids...and we play I dont now what we play.

I wish they can pull this off and get to SouthAfrica,but I can not see it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently both Makos and Koutsianikoulis have been called up (along with the usual suspects). I think Ninis will play for the U'21 (probably better than sitting on the bench for the NT).

??

ATHENS, March 20 - Greece coach Otto Rehhagel on Friday named the following 20-man squad for the World Cup Group Two qualifiers against Israel away on March 28 and then at home four days later.

Goalkeepers: Costas Chalkias (PAOK), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos)

Defenders: Traianos Dellas (Anorthosis Famagusta), Giourkas Seitaridis (Atletico Madrid), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Vangelis Moras (Bologna), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos Piraeus), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos).

Midfielders: Angelos Basinas (Portsmouth), Alexandros Tziolis (Werder Bremen), Christos Patsatzoglou (Olympiakos), Costas Katsouranis (Benfica), Giorgios Karagounis (Panathinaikos).

Forwards: Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Theofanis Gekas (Portsmouth), Angelos Charisteas (Bayer Leverkusen), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...ccer&id=4000281

??

ATHENS, March 20 - Greece coach Otto Rehhagel on Friday named the following 20-man squad for the World Cup Group Two qualifiers against Israel away on March 28 and then at home four days later.

Defenders: Traianos Dellas (Anorthosis Famagusta), Giourkas Seitaridis (Atletico Madrid), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Vangelis Moras (Bologna), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos Piraeus), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos).

Midfielders: Angelos Basinas (Portsmouth), Alexandros Tziolis (Werder Bremen), Christos Patsatzoglou (Olympiakos), Costas Katsouranis (Benfica), Giorgios Karagounis (Panathinaikos).

Forwards: Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Theofanis Gekas (Portsmouth), Angelos Charisteas (Bayer Leverkusen), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos).

That's weird. According to the Greek sites both Koutsianikoulis and Makos are in (not that they'll feature) <_<

You guys happy? For those of you who live in Greece, I don't know why you haven't done anything to remove Otto once and for all. This is basically the same line up we had last June in Austria; did it work for the team there? No, we lost all 3 games. So what does he do? One form of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. Either Otto is on some level insane or he just doesn't give a crap.

You guys happy? For those of you who live in Greece, I don't know why you haven't done anything to remove Otto once and for all. This is basically the same line up we had last June in Austria; did it work for the team there? No, we lost all 3 games. So what does he do? One form of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. Either Otto is on some level insane or he just doesn't give a crap.

I wont disagree with your post but i just want to point out that the 3 teams that we faced in Austria were a lot better that the Israel team that we are facing now.I really hope and want to see our team win both upcoming games but Otto at spme point needs to start giving chances to some young guys otherwise he will need to be removed as our head coach.

I wont disagree with your post but i just want to point out that the 3 teams that we faced in Austria were a lot better that the Israel team that we are facing now.I really hope and want to see our team win both upcoming games but Otto at spme point needs to start giving chances to some young guys otherwise he will need to be removed as our head coach.

So what if they were better? What is that supposed to mean? Is that an excuse for them to play lousy football and lose? They lost it for themselves, and the teams they faced weren't THAT spectacular. I also want to see us advance to the WC, I mean, come on. But if we do, you're just going to see something similar to June 08. Is that what you guys want? You say he needs to start giving the younger guys chances, WHY after all this time would he suddenly do that? How many more examples do you need? How many more years? Do people not care enough? They care more about the club teams? Yeah? But they were all out there in the streets celebrating in 04.

??

That's weird. According to the Greek sites both Koutsianikoulis and Makos are in (not that they'll feature) <_<
ESPN....go figure.

Last year in the Greece-Cyprus friendly, they stated Greece played in Karaiskaiki Stadium, Czech Republic. :LOL: (match information)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=238241&&cc=5739

So what if they were better? What is that supposed to mean? Is that an excuse for them to play lousy football and lose? They lost it for themselves, and the teams they faced weren't THAT spectacular. I also want to see us advance to the WC, I mean, come on. But if we do, you're just going to see something similar to June 08. Is that what you guys want? You say he needs to start giving the younger guys chances, WHY after all this time would he suddenly do that? How many more examples do you need? How many more years? Do people not care enough? They care more about the club teams? Yeah? But they were all out there in the streets celebrating in 04.

Are we still tralking about the upcoming Israel-Greece game or are we debating about the last Euro???I said that i dont disagree with most of the things you guys have said so far,i just did a team comparison with the example that you used.Israel ranking vs Spain,Russia and Sweden.That was all.Otto for right now is not going anywhere and if we keep the top spot for our group and advance for the WC dont expect any major changes.Maybe some players retiring untill then,Antzas and gods knows who else but only if we dont qualify for the WC expect a head coach change.

PS.He should start giving some new/younger players a chance simple because some that he likes to use are retiring,Nikopolidis,Antzas propably this summer....

Points to make in Europe

The big game

Israel-Greece, National Stadium, Ramat Gan, Saturday 28 March, 21.00 (local time)

Israel are in with a realistic chance of returning to the FIFA World Cup nearly 40 years after their one and only appearance. To maintain their hopes of qualifying automatically from Group 2, Dror Kashtan's side need to preserve their unbeaten status in a double-header with direct rivals and leaders Greece, the first instalment of which takes place on Saturday. Much will depend on whether Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun can make a full recovery from his injury niggles.

The Greeks, meanwhile, will be keen to erase memories of a 2-1 home defeat by Switzerland last October, and an uninspiring 1-1 friendly draw with Denmark in February. Their task will be made harder by the absence of experienced defender Kostas Katsouranis through suspension.

Source and full article at fifa.com.

Does anyone know anything about Ramat Gan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramat_Gan_Stadium

We need maximum points from both matches against Israel. The Swiss play Moldova twice, then us in Switzerland. As it stands, we lead the group with 9, followed by Israel with 8, and Switzerland with 7. Only group winners automatically qualify...

Does anyone know anything about Ramat Gan?

It's a very good edra for them. They pack 40k in there and they generate an excellent atmosphere. As we all know they're a fiercely patriotic bunch and that passion is usually reflected in their performances at home. They haven't lost at home in a very long time and it will be a tough test.

They have quite a sharp midfield so hopefully we'll see some pace in our team. Their star players are, Benayoun (Liverpool) who makes everything happen for them, he's their talisman. Ben Haim (Sunderland) who's a very strong centre-back, he's not that tall, only 5'11, but he's great in the air. Ben Sahar (De Graafschaap) is a very talented young striker that will be a HUGE goal threat.

They'll be a big threat, there's no doubt about it. But in my opinion the biggest threat to us winning the group is Switzerland, so we need 6 points from these games because the last thing we want is to need to win in Switzerland.

It should also be mentioned that they aren't the fastest team in defence, if they play a high defensive line I really would love to see Koutsianikoulis featurem his pace will def cause them problems.

You're in for a tough one. In a way, I can see you win this one. Your team is capable of winning in tough places (Spain, Turkey, Portugal etc...).

You may struggle at home but overall, I think if you get 4 points, it wouldn't be a disaster.

Lot of whistling from their supporters everytime we are in possession. And we're in possession most of the time.

I'm not sure who's responsible but the country's name is wrong on MEGA (don't know if they put that on screen themselves) ... it's obviously not Isreal :D (is it?)...

Ok game so far, slightly better for us than it is for them I would say, ...

I'm quite confident we can win this one but obviously concentration is needed. They're quite good on the counter, but we have more possession and an obvious advantage in the air today ...

Header by Torosidis, out.

Moments later Tziolis with a shot, out.

Archived