Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos v. Panionios

athinaios

I don't know what to make of this game on Saturday, a few days ahead of our most important game in years, against Villareal.

I always believed that a team rides the success wave, so a nice win would do us good. But, PAO usually screws up before or after big euro games.

If we want to return to the money-maker and fame-giving CL, we must get a good position for the playoffs.

wow, Gabriel misses a great chance... that should have been an easy one! damn.

Great assist by Petro. He'll score today.

PS> the linesman eroneously called Petro offside, then he continued and kicked the ball and got a yellow card. Geesh. :tdown:

They played well overall and it was nice to finally see Ivan back in there who should have been playing all along this season! Kara wasn't too good today...a bit sloppy, and diving as usual. I wish he'd cut that sh it out already, he's more talented than that. The new Polish guy looks really good. Petro doesn't look like a great up and coming striker by any means, but he is good w/ his head. maybe he'll improve some other aspects of his game, who knows. Good win before the CL.

They played well overall and it was nice to finally see Ivan back in there who should have been playing all along this season! Kara wasn't too good today...a bit sloppy, and diving as usual. I wish he'd cut that sh it out already, he's more talented than that. The new Polish guy looks really good. Petro doesn't look like a great up and coming striker by any means, but he is good w/ his head. maybe he'll improve some other aspects of his game, who knows. Good win before the CL.

as for petro, how would you rate an up and coming striker? sure he isnt very technically gifted, will not do alot of tricks and is not the quickest striker, but every time the kid plays, he scores a goal..inside the box, his physical presence is a huge threat..i think our main problems today were wing support to our striker...ivan and ninis were not stepping hard into the box, not making their backpost runs from the wings..once salpi came in you could notice the difference immediately, petropoulos was able to open up alittle because salpi was not afraid to get in the box and make some runs..

in my opinion, petro is a diamond in the rough..i think he can be a great goalscorer...maybe not an incredible overal player, but he has a nose for goal and has incredible physical ability..he scored some great goals last year as well while at ofi..he has alot of work to do and i would like to see him more technical and also quicker, but he has time to build, lets hope its in the right direction...

Much of scoring has to do with where you position yourself. Skill is desirable but knowing where to stand and where to move is, perhaps, a greater talent because it produces more goals. Petro seems to have it. Not skilful, but like Gert Muller of (West) Germany's was a player like that. For the minutes Petro has played, he's score lots.

As for the game, we showed an improvement, but Ten Kate needs to prep and prop up the team against the Spaniards. Coming off a win is good news, though I was hoping that we'd keep a clean slate. Our defense made several mistakes that shouldn't be repeated on Wed.

while i was watching this game i kept thinking, are we playing that good or is panionios just sucking that bad???

As for Petro, wherever he plays he scores.. Every division, every team.

He's doing the same here, & he's got youth on his side. Dont know what the problem is.

Panionios were really nothing special...Petro reminds me of Haristeas, finds the right position and opening for the chance. But not someone who can create on his own, you have to feed him. You say he scores in every game he plays; yeah, against which teams? Too early to say w/ him though since he's still developing. pao123 I don't think Ninis had his best game here, and Ivan not "stepping hard" into the box is due to the fact that he hardly gets played anymore. So, he's going to be rusty. I'm guessing TC feels like he needs to use 2 defensive mids in every game, along with 2 strikers up front, so if he has Ivan in there he can use only 1 striker. But thats wrong, you can have 1 defensive mid, with 4 defenders behind him, and thats enough. 2 attackers going up the wings (Ivan and Ninis) and 2 strikers. Thats a more balanced side. Spyro can't cross like Ivan; he just CAN'T.

Its sad that we have a player like Petropoulos, who has played i think 4 full games this season and maybe another 6 off the bench and has 6 goals and yet a player like DIOGO who has played almost every single minute of every game also has 6 goals and gets so much credit.. is it the price tag?

He cant dribble either...

We have a player liek Cleyton who has played tons less games than belluschi and is even on goals. and gets no credit. again is it the price tag?

I think Leto has 1 goal this season.. and 3 assists? very similar stats to ivan... only ivan hasnt started since october...

Media has had a field day with oly and their class players..

Yet oly have gotten calls whenever they needed it, i.e Thrasyvoulo, Xanthi, Aris, Tripolis and pao didnt get calls in similar games Aek, Paok, Iraklis, Larisa....

to me, the difference isnt all that big....

And europe is pure evidence of that....

I mean, both oly and pao DO play against the same teams right?

We lost to Inter, they lost to Galatasaray.

We lost to Anorthosis, as they did.

Only difference is they also lost to St-Etienne and Metalist Something and we beat Inter, Werder and Anorthosis...

Archived