Phantis Forums

High Definition & Digital Transition

Once again resurrecting an old thread, but over the weekend SKAI and STAR started broadcasting in HD through DIGEA in Athens and Thessaloniki.

Although this is LONG overdue, the "sudden" decision to do so is being speculated having to do with sending a message to the Greek Government, who continues to spread false information about their capabilities (current Greek channels and DIGEA) in this television license saga. Expect at least two more FTA HD channels to launch very soon, DIGEA claims they can host up to 4 per multiplex, but it is inevitable now that the rest of the main FTA channels will do so as well sometime this year.

ANT1 HD is also live. Surprisingly, STAR seems to have the best HD picture. Not surprising, ANT1 the worst. Expect more HD to hit Greece by the end of the week......

Here are the current logos they are using:

49dc99896729a7ce59856529bd07abee_XL.jpg

Wow, what is with the sudden launching of all these HD channels?!  I thought these channels are all in dire straits financially, how do they have money to upgrade to high definition?!  Its about damn time Antenna launched in HD, from what I have read they are in the best shape financially so what took them so long- are they THAT cheap that they don't want to spend money to upgrade their signal and systems?! (silly question I know but I had to ask :P)

Does this mean that we will FINALLY see Antenna Satellite launch in HD, I am sick of watching that channel in stretch mode on my flat screen.

The reason they are all switching on all of a sudden are the new and limited TV licenses that will be awarded soon.

As for Antenna Satellite launching and HD transmission, it won't do us any good as long as Dish and the various cable channels that carry the channel refuse to carry it in HD mode.

The Government made all sorts of outlandish claims (with no backup) as rationals for restricting the new licenses to only 4. One of those claims was that DIGEA could not fit more than 2 HD channels per multiplex, thus the frequencies couldn't support all the current channels in HD. DIGEA have now successfully proven that 4 HD channels fit on a single multiplex, while the channels also proved that they are technically capable. (and worthy to get one of the licenses)

Its about damn time Antenna launched in HD, from what I have read they are in the best shape financially so what took them so long- are they THAT cheap that they don't want to spend money to upgrade their signal and systems?! (silly question I know but I had to ask :P)

People joke that ANT1 still uses VHS tapes in their control room. :lol:

All joking aside, the only channel doing HD correctly thus far, is STAR TV. Almost all of their programming (scripted and unscripted) is being broadcast in native HD, as opposed to upscaled HD. I guess STAR was the most prepared out of the ones that launched thus far.

• Like it 1

As for Antenna Satellite launching and HD transmission, it won't do us any good as long as Dish and the various cable channels that carry the channel refuse to carry it in HD mode.

How do you know Dish refuses to carry ANT1 in HD?!  They currently carry several ethnics in HD and seeing as how Dish & Antenna have a good relationship (it was the first Greek channel to launch abroad and has been on Dish since its inception), I see no reason why they wouldn't carry it?!  Also, IMO there is no reason in this day and age to continue to carry 2 feeds of the same channel, if by some miracle ANT1 Satellite launches in HD they could just replace the current feed with the HD feed.

As for the TV licensing situation, I think the reason they are limiting the licenses to 4 is out of spite because Tspiras doesn't like the media or at least these oligarchs who control the main channels.  I don't understand why he would limit the number though seeing as how this measure is going to generate revenue for the government, is it not?!  The situation in Greece is so F'd Up that I don't think these changes (or any others) will ever materialize.  From my understanding, the attitude of the people there (government and citizens) is such that everyone only cares about themselves and only wants whats best for them- how can you bring forth change in such an environment and more importantly how is such a society able to function?!

Its ridiculous that these media oligarchs are able to get away without paying anything, but with so much corruption and constant changes in government, its no surprise that they have gotten a free ride for so long.

+ EPSILON TV HD

2vjocas.png

DIGEA launched their second HD Multiplex in Athens and Thessaloniki with, surprisingly, EPSILON TV HD. Expect ALPHA and MEGA shortly....

Meanwhile, DIGEA has also started test broadcasting HD in Patra as well.