Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos-Anorthosis

DUDE

The biggest game in the history of Anorthosis is almost upon us and the signs aren't good. Following the last gasp Weder equaliser in the last CL game and the subsequent derby loss to APOEL the boys will surely be somewhat drained and very low on confidence. On top of that it was confirmed today that our star player, Savio, will be out for 3 weeks! :( With Ano needing a win to progress that was the final nail in the coffin in my opinion. But as long as there's one game to play we still have hope. Dellas, Beqaj, Taher and Sosin (if he plays) will need to have the games of their lives.

ANO MPOREIS!!! :gr:

bye bye anorthosis

:LOL: It's funny that fans of a team already out of the title race and that got beaten heavily the last time they met Ano, can be so arrogant.

I'll tell you something, if Ano's depleted squad beats you tomorrow I'd love to hear the excuses!

Anorthosis's European run comes to end and what a long run it was. Sure they got last in their group as expected by they turned heads in doing it. Anorthosi as of now like PAO are 3rd in their country and have work to do if they wanna return to the CL next year. But for now, PAO plays on, Anorthosi goes back to Larnaca.

This is Omonoia9 saying so long from Athens!

I'm gutted the dream is over. We deserved more! When you consider the relative sides of all the clubs involved I think we deserved a place in the last 16, or certainly a UEFA Cup place at the very least.

In terms of tonight's game:

We were poor. Everything went against us. We were without our stars: Savio and Sosin and for a team with a squad as small as ours that was too big a blow. We had no firepower at all. Then when Beqaj and Dellas got injured it was only a matter of time before PAO scored, and eventually Nagy had a Nikopolidis moment.

It's weird to be out of Europe completely when we were on the verge of making the last 16... If only we held on 3 mins more against Weder at home or, if Taher scored the last min 1 on 1 against Weder or if Constantinou tapped in the rebound. If only Taher scored that sitter tonight. If only Materazzi's goal was ruled out for the foul. There are so many "If only" moments that it's difficult to take finishing bottom of the group. Or course we also had alot of luck and I'm sure when the dust settles I'll look back on this run as beautiful. Some of the moments Ano gave us this year belong in the same memory-box as Euro 2004 and I'll cherish them forever. Shame it had to end in this way though.

Anyway, here's a mini-tribute to the most successful team in Cypriot footballing history:

THE JOURNEY TO THE CHAMPION'S LEAGUE:

15/7/08 Anorthosis 1-0 Pyunik

23/7/08 Pyunik 0-2 Anorthosis

Agg: Anorthosis 3-0 Olympiakos

30/7/08 Anorthosis 3-0 Rapid Wien

6/8/08 Rapid Wien 3-1 Anorthosis

Agg: Anorthosis 4-3 Rapid Wien

13/8/08 Anorthosis 3-0 Olympiakos

27/8/08 Olympiakos 1-0 Anorthosis

Agg: Anorthosis 3-1 Olympiakos

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGES!!!!

16/9/08 Weder 0-0 Anorthosis

1/10/08 Anorthosis 3-1 PAO

22/10/08 Inter 1-0 Anorthosis

4/11/08 Anorthosis 3-3 Inter

26/11/08 Anorthosis 2-2 Bremen

9/12/08 PAO 1-0 Anorthosis

Thank you for the memories. :gr:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgbnDuMVGY&...feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhCAV2UpzM&...feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2--BdN4mb8Q

It was a great run that capped a great year for all clubs representing Cyprus in Europe this year. Cypriot clubs have shown that they are worth more than the rest of the continent has given them credit for. At the very least, I think within the Hellenic community our league will have more worth. I'm an Olympiakos fan, and I hated to see Anorthosi go thru at our expense, but I also knew a Cypriot side making it was a big deal and really served as a saving grace and I think my fellow Olympiakos fans will never look at Cypriot football the same anymore. How about AEK who was humbled by Omonoia? You think AEK fans will ever underestimate Cypriot teams anymore? Anorthosi, Omonoia, and APOEL all made huge gains for Cyprus. Next year, maybe the obstacles the Cypriot champions, whoever they may be, will be less from the hard work by its representatives this year. So a congrats to APOEL, and of course to my Omonoia, but it is Anorthosi who brought the goods this year. Last night in Athens the dream ended for this year, but a bigger hope for the future arises from this, and hopefully Cypriot football's best days are ahead of it.

Archived