Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Anorthosi

cyberfish

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all over. The Cinderella story ends in Athens. 3rd place team of Greece gets the better of their Cypriot counterparts but not by much. A blunder by backup Zoltan nagy wins the group for Panathinaikos, who in turn will help the ailing state of Greek football

PAO WON THE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING, Simply incredible. I cant even beleive it....after Cyprus and Werder in OAKA, winning the group let alone qualifying was a fantasy having two away games in Germany and Italy. and we won them ALL.

This team has heart. I dont expect us to get any further regardless of the draw, but I wont be surprised if we have a story like last years Fenerbahce to the final 8.

ZHTW O PANATHINAIKOS

The qualification was very much deserved, the last 3 games PAO showed spirit and class.

Anorthosis deserved better than 4th place. I hope to see Anorthosis next year in the Champions League, (PAO too) and not in the same groups.

Omonoia

Panathinaikos was 2nd, not 3rd last year.

Nagy blunder caused the goal, but of the first half I watched PAO was the only team in this game concerning playing football and making chances, except for one Taher chance. PAO was the better team today at least, had the better results in other games, and thats the end of it.

I cant believe it either.. 1st place..

And to think... just 6 weeks and 3 days ago, Drakos came on here and said its all our D's fault and that wed get raped...

Since then, no goals against, two away wins and a home win....

Btw, because of this win, we get 2 coefficient point for the win and 1 extra for qualifying to the next round...

oh.. and 17 million

PAO WON THE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING, Simply incredible. I cant even beleive it....after Cyprus and Werder in OAKA, winning the group let alone qualifying was a fantasy having two away games in Germany and Italy. and we won them ALL.

This team has heart. I dont expect us to get any further regardless of the draw, but I wont be surprised if we have a story like last years Fenerbahce to the final 8.

ZHTW O PANATHINAIKOS

The qualification was very much deserved, the last 3 games PAO showed spirit and class.

Anorthosis deserved better than 4th place. I hope to see Anorthosis next year in the Champions League, (PAO too) and not in the same groups.

Omonoia

Panathinaikos was 2nd, not 3rd last year.

Nagy blunder caused the goal, but of the first half I watched PAO was the only team in this game concerning playing football and making chances, except for one Taher chance. PAO was the better team today at least, had the better results in other games, and thats the end of it.

I mean right now. Anorthosi were the champs last year

yes i will :LOL:

but remind you PAO breezed through the playoffs and earned that 2nd place spot quite fairly.

Good thing we had playoffs, now PAO finally got a gift for its 100 years!!!!

And big ups to Greek league who will rake in some points as well as PAO who is boosting their own coefficient too by winning this group!

Surely the coefficients in UEFA have something to improve on with 2 succsequential qualifications in the CL now...

Omonoia:

I thought you meant last year because I thought we were in 4th place right now

but just checked and were in 3rd...for the time being ;)

and besides didnt Liverpool win the CL being in like 10th ? :P

Guys i think he meant 3rd place so far this season...

But corrupton has its price...

Aek won the most points on the field but finished 2nd, oly should of been 2nd but were declared champions... and pao fijnished 3rd and won its group in the champions league...

gotta love greek soccer

This one was not even close. Anorthosi never had solutions on offense or defense. They were clearly awestruck by the place they found themselves in, and maybe a bit too limited of a team. Today their plan was to lob the ball forward and it made for a comfortable afternoon for PAO since they only came close to scoring once in 90 minutes. Too bad they didn't even make the UEFA cup but their amazing luck seemed to abandon them in the Werder game.

Panathinaikos was a very mature team today. They are finding their stride and have learned how to win one way or another. Confidence is abundant and with a little talent infusion in January we can be looking at ... what? 8? I am already thinking of 4 B)

Today's game was sweet. The third win in a row and first place in the CL groups should not be taken for granted. It's an amazing feat for this new team and even if we don't advance beyond the 16 I will be a happy Panathinaikos Fan this season.

The game today (and in Werder, and in Inter) was won by the very visible wall in midfield. Simao, Gilberto, and Tziolis never let the opposition cross midfield with comfort. In turn, it gave confidence to our defenders who were rarely exposed. All three were just about perfect, and I was happy to see that either Gilberto or Tziolis alternated playing box to box. Gilberto had his best game today, and have I ever mentioned how amazing Simao is?

Mantzios had an excellent game but his injury might be severe. It's unfortunate because he has matured a lot this year. He does not try to do too much and he holds his own out there until help arrives. He has been good in the air and excellent on the ground, so he will be missed if he does no come back soon.

Goumas was good as well. He lost a lot of headers to Frousos, but he always had a body against him and he always forced opponents to act out of balance.

Ten Cate is proving to be a very good coach. The best I have seen in years on Panathinaikos' bench. Sure he makes some mistakes here and there (who doesn't?) but he deserves all the credit for this success.

No matter who we draw now it will be tough. The experience of seeing Panathinaikos play at this level is beyond anything the Greek leagues would ever offer to me as a fan.

Thank you PAO :tup:

Guys i think he meant 3rd place so far this season...

But corrupton has its price...

Aek won the most points on the field but finished 2nd, oly should of been 2nd but were declared champions... and pao fijnished 3rd and won its group in the champions league...

gotta love greek soccer

AEK was taken care of

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!! :tup: But you know I'm not surprised and its not a miracle or anything; this is whats expected of our team. Based on some of the comments here on the league, I'm thinking now of our place at this point and I think we should start taking the Greek League a lot less seriously; season after season its the same old jazz: obvious favoritism, fixed matches and corruption. I expect this team to do their best under the circumstances, but winning the league has gotten to be a bit of a joke now. Thats why the fans should be concentrating a bit more on our performances in Europe. After all its more of a challenge anyway. This team can definitely advance to the quarters. CONGRATULATIONS COACH AND TEAM

Archived