Phantis Forums

Bonehead Plays

Lazarus

Just for the fun of it, I'm starting this topic with bonehead plays around the NFL for the 2008 season.The opening honors lay with DeSean Jackson of the Philadelphia Eagles on a Monday Night game against the Dallas Cowboys on Sep. 15, 2008. 

real cocky for a rookie

good player though

my question on that play is how did the refs determine that it was the eagles ball?

on the replay it looked like 1 of the cowboys were going to get the ball, so how did they come up with the eagles ball at the 1 yard line? the refs make up rules as they go along sometimes :not:

By rule, when the play is blown dead (it was blown dead when the referees ruled it a touchdown initially) the team that had the ball gets possession where the ball landed (the spot where the play was called dead). It was ruled to be ball on the 1 yard line.

And here's another one...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/16/cowboys-couldnt-have-recovered-the-ball/'>COWBOYS COULDN

Ok so the problem is not that the ball didn't touch the blue but that he released it before going over the line? (Don't understand the least of this sport).

thats right - the ball has to cross the line while in his hand -- I've often thought that if i didn't grow up with this sport i would never understand it --- the rules are very complicated

I've often thought that if i didn't grow up with this sport i would never understand it --- the rules are very complicated

I didn't grow up with this sport. As a matter of fact, I first came across it in 1989 when I came to the US (at the age of 30). The first game that I ever saw? Super Bowl XXIII -- Cincinnati Bengals - San Francisco 49ers 16 - 20. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and a Super Bowl. I fell in love with it ever since.

But to the point. Yes, indeed it does have more rules than soccer. But the overall premise of the game is simple. You have 4 tries to advance the ball 10 yards. If you succeed you get to try for another 10 (at least) yards. The goal is to get a player in control of the ball and into the opponent's end zone (the blue area mentioned). That counts as 6 points.

The American football rules at Wikipedia.

I've often thought that if i didn't grow up with this sport i would never understand it --- the rules are very complicated

I didn't grow up with this sport. As a matter of fact, I first came across it in 1989 when I came to the US (at the age of 30). The first game that I ever saw? Super Bowl XXIII -- Cincinnati Bengals - San Francisco 49ers 16 - 20. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and a Super Bowl. I fell in love with it ever since.

But to the point. Yes, indeed it does have more rules than soccer. But the overall premise of the game is simple. You have 4 tries to advance the ball 10 yards. If you succeed you get to try for another 10 (at least) yards. The goal is to get a player in control of the ball and into the opponent's end zone (the blue area mentioned). That counts as 6 points.

The American football rules at Wikipedia.

That was about as good as it got with that SuperBowl

I've seen quite a few bonehead plays over the years. I stare at the screen in disbelief sometimes. I don't understand, the coaches draw up all the plays and tell them where to run, block, pass, etc. Does the Coach need to tell them how to do everything?

Maybe they should have little microphones in their helmets and have the coach command them "catch the ball, ok now, I want you to run forward, ok now, I want you to hold on to the ball, don't let go just yet, ok now, you're going to see the goal line, listen carefully, I want you to cross the line FIRST, ("cross the line FIRST?" says the player back to the coach), yes that's right, I want you to cross the line first... alright yes you did it, you scored! good job!, ok now I want you to dance" :LOL:

my definition of a bonehead play is that something that just wasnt in the playbook like stupidity.

the king of all bonehead play was the great Leon Lett of the cowboys during thanksgiving vs the dolphins.. i can still hear the announcer during the replay saying "oh my God it's Leon Lett"

even as a cowboys fan its gotta be the funniest thing ever

• 11 months later...

I think we can continue the Bonehead plays, 2009 edition. I'm sure there will be plenty. Here's one to start off the first week of the season:

Bears call a fake punt on their own 25 yard line, in the 4th quarter, 4th down and 11, and with the lead. Watch at 0:18 on the video, the ref has a big smile, laughing in disbelief at how stupid of a decision this was. I think I woke up my neighbors when I was watching this, simply unbelievable.

• 1 month later...

This happened a couple weeks ago. I remember watching it live and screaming at the TV, I was so angry that he blindsided the punt returner like that. I know it's a brutal sport, but there are certain things you don't do that can permanently injure someone. He was only suspended for 1 game. :tdown:

Archived