Phantis Forums

ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)

You should take a look at the programing for the new season from the other Greek channels. They are all taking on this model.

Actually I am aware of of this, I frequent various blogs about Greek television to see what changes are happening and what new shows are coming. They are following the lead of many other broadcasters around the world, filling their schedules with worthless reality crap because its cheap to produce. The other trend I noticed for the new season is for the few television series that will air, ANT1 & Mega will be adopting formats & plots from foreign shows- i.e. American, British & Latin American. I believe one of the networks is going to be launching a Greek version of My Name is Earl, unless something has changed recently. From what I have read on the net, most Greeks don't like this and I concur. They can't come up with some original ideas, I am sure there are many talented writers in Greece that could come up with good premises for a show. Looks like the end of television as we know it, they are dumbing it down, making the product more cheaper. :tdown: :tdown:

This doesn't bode well for the Greek channels available internationally since they are premium services and they charge a lot. I am rethinking whether I want to spend $15 bucks a month to watch a channel that will air mainly reality junk, the programming I despise greatly. ANT1 & Mega will probably fill the schedules of ANT1 Satellite & MEGA Cosmos with old series, since they most likely only have the rights for these reality shows for Greece.

As for Alpha, the only thing on there that I would watch is the show from Lakis Lazopoulos, its quite funny from the little bit that I have seen. The rest is crap but to each his own I guess?!

The formula of Greek channels adapting foreign shows has been going on for a while. Some of them are very bad, but some of them actually do very well. Ironically, last year an episode of the popular "H Polikatikia" on Mega made fun of the fact that Mega (and other channels) were chasing Spanish format shows, a play on the fact that "H Polikatikia" itself is actually taken from Spain's "Aqui No Hay Quien Viva". :LOL:

A pleasant surprise for this upcoming season in between all the reality shows, cheap productions, and foreign subtitled shows (Turkish) seems to be Mega's upcoming series "To Nisi". It is an adaptation of the best selling book "The Island" by Victoria Hislop, and it apparently has a budget of 4 million euro. They have begun airing trailers for it, and it actually looks quite cinematic. http://www.megatv.com/tonisi/

Edited by Grk101

Anyway, back on topic, with ERT moving to be offered on DirecTV and other platforms, Dish Network is looking more and more like an unattractive deal. (at least IMO) The only thing saving it I think is the fact that ERT and ANT1 jointly bid on sports rights for this upcoming season. (I think I had read that?) If ANT1 looses those rights next year, and their programing approach stays the same, Dish is done in my opinion.

Any news on when we can expect to see the channel added to the other platforms?

Edited by Grk101

I doubt that in this current climate people will be switching equipments etc. The best case scenario for Directv would be that those who already have Directv would also add ERT. I see hardly anybody switching just for that. Directv makes you get a whole base package before you can add Greek programming. That is highway robbery to me.

Adding ERT to cable would sure be sweet though.

UBI will be taking over the FTA distribution of ERT World for Australia and New Zealand starting September 4th it will no longer be on Globecast where most are watching ERT World now

The new frequency you will need to rescan your boxes to is : 12608 H 22500 3/4

There is currently a scrolling message on ERT World telling everyone about this change also

Very interesting Kolossos,

So if GlobeCast is out in Australia then why would they be in in North America?! DKSat posted above that ERT World will be available FTA in N.A. via GlobeCast's World TV platform. That doesn't really makes sense to me since if I am not mistaken Comart is a subsidiary of GlobeCast?!

On another related topic, will these changes on the distribution side result in any changes on the programming side namely the much talked about, much anticipated LOCALIZED SCHEDULES!?! Will ERT ever get their act together and offer Greeks abroad what every other international services offers- a schedule programmed according to the local time zone?! Oh while they are at it, update the damn schedule for the soccer matches, so people know what the hell you are airing! :angry:

I think ERT is trying to find the best deal to suit there needs and costs.

And if you see UBI have some channels Globecast USA does.

I don't think it matters who distributes it in different parts of the world but at this moment it is very likely you guys in the US will get ERT FTA with all these changes and getting rid of COMART has helped the situation.

There is also another provider of ethnic channels FTA over NA checkout http://home2us.com/b2c/b2c http://www.lyngsat.com/101west.html they also could broadcast ERT so I would keep an eye on them also.

Edited by Kolossos

The new ERT World frequency 3630 L SR 3333 on NSS 806 at 40.5 w the signal is very strong it can be received with a 5 foot c-band dish in North America and Canada and parts off South America.

On that frequency there is ERT World and 5 Radio Stations ERA 1. ERA 2, ERA 3, ERA 5, ERA Sport.

By the way the Radio Stations are in digital stereo.

DKsat

Edited by DKSat

It is to early to predict when or what satellite they going to be FTA . If you all can not wait for ERT World to be on a KU Satellite i suggest to get a 1.2 meter KU dish with a C-Band LNBF and a FTA receiver you will be receiving ERT World from NSS 806 with no problem.

Check out the ling.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwpALoKw1g&feature=player_embedded#!

DKsat

Edited by DKSat

DK, thanks for all your information. It is really appreciated. Any rough time line on when we could expect ERT to launch on Direct? I hope they also start closing some cable deals as well. Also anything about my theory of Direct adding more Greek channels? (Not that there are many left anyway) I know they were looking at doing so a few years ago. Or is the current climate just too bad/not worth it.

Thanks.

ERT World is the only channel I would be interested in if I were DirecTV. Antenna would also be an option except they are locked into a long term deal with Dish which probably also has an exclusivity clause attached to it.

Personally, I don't really see the need to add any other channels?! Also, the current economic climate probably makes things difficult for any channel looking to enter North America. Look at Star, it tried to enter this market and failed. I believe DKSat posted a while back that they initially approached DirecTV, who wasn't interested and then eventually ended up signing a deal with RCN. It only lasted a short while and not much of a surprise to me since Star is a niche channel and most probably don't know about it and the programming does not have widespread appeal- it caters mainly to a younger audience.

Speaking of niche channels, it would be interesting to know how many watch ANT1 Gold & Blue, I suspect that viewership is not that high on these two channels compared to Antenna & ERT?!

I think the focus should be on ERT World now, they need to expand their distribution and get on to cable in the US. I think the addition of ERT World will help sell some more cable subscriptions, especially in areas where satellite is not an option.

If I recall correctly, DKSat had written that they initially had a deal with DirecTV, but Star was asking for too much money so they backed out. That could very well be the case with RCN as well, we don't know. Maybe the price to carry it outweighed the amount of audience the channel actually attracted on RCN. And of course, the economy also most likely had a part in it. That is why I am interested how Direct will handle the pricing for ERT. Currently their top Greek package with 4 channels costs $34.99. Comparing some of the other top language packages, (and it is comparable on Dish) shows just how greedy the Greek channels are......

Filipino - 10 channels - $34.99

Korean - 9 channels $31.99

Russian - 8 channels - $39.99

Vietnamese - 7 channels - $29.99

I also wonder what this "Greek Media Group" plans to do. It seems they have really dropped the ball. Star failed, and as I elaborated in my other post, GMTV has not been updated in ages. I was hoping (more like dreaming) that DirecTV would dump GMTV in favor of MAD World, but I don't see that happening. Greek Media Group probably charges next to nothing for the rights to GMTV. And that reflects in their handling of the channel in my opinion.

END OF RANT :P

By the way, from what has been written, Star International isn't too bad. It is more of a life and style channel, which you are right, appeals to certain groups. But like you said, to each his own. And who doesn't want to see Petroula's weather report -- regardless of the fact that we don't actually need to know Greece's weather here? ;) :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oby8RIykiww

Edited by Grk101

ERT Worls is the number one Greek subscription channel in North America yes they have more then Antenna.

That is unbelievable DKSat, are you saying that ERT World has now surpassed Antenna as the top channel in North America?! I recall in the past you posted that Antenna was the number one channel?!

That doesn't really surprise me actually. As I posted above, the quality of the Greek channels (ANT1 & MEGA specifically) has declined in recent years and I would wager that all this reality crap doesn't appeal to the older generation- heck I am younger I don't like watching this stuff. I suspect the economy has a lot to do with the changes these networks have made to their programming, less serials (which are expensive to produce) and more cheaper fare like game shows & reality shows. No wonder people are moving towards ERT World, their programing seems to be aimed at an older audience.

That is why I am interested how Direct will handle the pricing for ERT. Currently their top Greek package with 4 channels costs $34.99.

I agree that the Greek channels are way overpriced although this seems to be the norm with international channels, most are priced around the $15. mark. I would suggest a price point of $10 for ERT World, it doesn't air any entertainment programming so there is no reason (except greed) why it should be priced as high as it is. Comparing other state owned channels available in the US:

Rai Italia- $9.99

RTP International- $9.99

TV5Monde- $9.99

Hmm, I am detecting a pattern here... :D

As for Greek Media Group, they seem to be a low budget outfit designed to get maximum dollars for the channels they are distributing. Don't forget, they are mainly a marketing company, they don't own the rights to all the channels they distribute. Alter Globe & GMTV rights are owned by Ilyda, some company from Greece. GMTV appears to be a low budget channel run on the cheap, I don't think it has been very successful and I wonder why DirecTV hasn't dropped it (most likely a contract issue- its probably tied together with Alter Globe?!). Music video channels do not have as much appeal as they used to back in the day, nowadays you have the Internet and can access music content online through your computer or mobile phone- you don't need to sit in front of a TV to watch this stuff. As you mentioned though Grk101, I suspect that GMTV & Blue are being thrown in at no charge or very minimal charge which is why the providers have agreed to carry them.

As I posted above, the quality of the Greek channels (ANT1 & MEGA specifically) has declined in recent years

ANT1 has, but not Mega. On the contrary, Mega had some super-successful series, and has constantly surpassed ANT1 (and all of the rest of the channels) as the top-viewed channel in Greece year after year for the past few years. The AGB numbers don't lie -- multiply filling in the top 10 daily. If you mean adaptations, then you are partially right. But it has been going on for years, (not the mention that it doesn't represent their full offering) and some of them are actually done great. For the record, their nightly news program is also the number 1 news broadcast amongst the "war of the news broadcasts"......but the news-is-news anyway imo. Only this year does it look like Mega is following the other channels and going "deeper" with more reality. (in the past they have had maybe about 1 or so a year.) I am interested to see if they will broadcast any here to fill in the schedule or if they will have enough new original programing this season to fill in prime-time. Ever since I started subscribing to Mega (back on Dish), Mega Cosmos has never once broadcast a reality show. Must be a policy or something, because I am sure they would at least have international rights for some of those shows.

As for ERT beating ANT1, I am not surprised. I admit, I ditched ANT1 myself this past year and kept only ERT as their programing went way down hill. At the end of the day, it was mostly only reality and old tv shows. <_< I had to sacrifice some sports, but it saved me about 20 or so dollars a month. I hope they do improve in the future again, but it doesn't look like it unfortunately. I was very close to ditching ERT too, but decided to keep it for various reasons. As it has been discussed many times, they are in long need of an over-haul though.

Alter Globe & GMTV rights are owned by Ilyda, some company from Greece.

Edited by Grk101

I hope you are right about MEGA because it along with ERT World are the only two I am interested in, unfortunately the provider I am with does not carry either. MEGA Cosmos was not available here in Canada for several years so I am not too familiar with their programming only from what I have read. I have read about them airing some reality stuff as well, perhaps its only recently they started doing this, as you mentioned?! I hope they still make at least a few series every year, don't go over to the dark side completely like ANT1 has ;) To Nhsi looks interesting, will have to find a way to watch it online.

At the end of the day, they are a business, and their job is to make money like everyone else. That's life. Unless I am completely wrong, and the channels actually do not make much revenue off of their international versions anyway

Make no mistake, their number 1 priority is to make money, not to provide a service for the omogenia. I would wager that they are making money, perhaps not a lot but they are making something or else I think they would have left a long time ago. About 10 years or so ago all you had in North America was Antenna. Now you have 8 channels available here and 9 in Australia. That tells me that this is a profitable business, which is why so many channels now broadcast internationally. of course subscribers are getting fleeced in the process with the high prices they charge but what can you do?!

MEGA Cosmos was not available here in Canada for several years so I am not too familiar with their programming only from what I have read. I have read about them airing some reality stuff as well, perhaps its only recently they started doing this, as you mentioned?

They have aired reality from the beginning, like Greek versions of Survivor, some awful shows like Farma and The Bar etc, also Greek Idol, their version of Pop Idol. Mega never managed to get the right to air these versions on Mega cosmos, same as they never cared to air telenovelas based on foreign scripts (Mia Stigmi, Dyo Zwes, I Zoi tis Allis). I am going to say they do not care, because for their prime time shows (Polykatoikia, Latremenoi Moy Geitones) they do get the rights to air these versions. Now as I write this it is amazing how little original ideas Greek TV has anymore.

They have aired reality from the beginning, like Greek versions of Survivor, some awful shows like Farma and The Bar etc, also Greek Idol, their version of Pop Idol. Mega never managed to get the right to air these versions on Mega cosmos, same as they never cared to air telenovelas based on foreign scripts (Mia Stigmi, Dyo Zwes, I Zoi tis Allis). I am going to say they do not care, because for their prime time shows (Polykatoikia, Latremenoi Moy Geitones) they do get the rights to air these versions. Now as I write this it is amazing how little original ideas Greek TV has anymore.

And again, like I said, it has been limited each year. I never said it just started. And they never aired on Mega Cosmos. I don't think it has to do with rights either in this case. I doubt after all these years, not one of those shows had international rights......Alpha tv has a number of reality shows and airs them here, I doubt they specifically ask for int. rights. Honestly, I don't think they even think of us. I think we are just an afterthought for them IMHO. But that is another story.... Mega's emphasis for prime time for a while now has always been on quality scripted shows. Which is why they excelled these past few years imo. And as I said, some of the shows based on a foreign script are done very well - some even to the point where the entire script is re-worked, only using the series idea. They do air "I zoi tis allis" and have from the start on Mega Cosmos. In fact this show in question was the number one rated show daily in Greece almost all last season. (Sometimes switched spots with the orig. scripted "Ta Mistika Tis Edem" which was usually 2nd.) And not just so-so numbers. If I recall correctly, it was hitting close to 50% daily on AGB. Edited by Grk101

Mega's emphasis for prime time for a while now has always been on quality scripted shows. . . .  If I recall correctly, it was hitting close to 50% daily on AGB.

Grk101, our definitions of "quality scripted shows" are 180 degrees apart if you consider MEGA there. :LOL: Greek TV production is junk and has been for years now. While every now and then the single decent show will pop up on MEGA or ANTENNA, most of it is pitiful IMO and the fact that they have to get ideas from other countries is so indicative of intellectual penury: I understand not having heavy industry etc, but to not be able to even come up with ideas and to have to, for instance, do "IXNH" from CSI or transfer spanish shows and telenovelas is the last straw in my eyes. Anyway, back to TV, yes these telenovellas get high shares of TVs open (easily in the 40s) . Shares, not ratings. But if you look at breakdowns of ratings, more and more Greeks, especially younger people under 40, have turned their backs on Greek TV.

For an explanation of how share (

Edited by likos

• Lazarus changed the title to ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)