Phantis Forums

ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)

What's with this Home2Us stuff? I went to their site. It looks very cheap and lame. I wouldn't get their service. They don't look like a legitimate company.

As for Olympiakos, someone told me Ert World is no longer going to air Olympiakos games. Can anyone in the know here tell me if Antenna will get their games or not? I really would like to know so I can sign up to Dish without feeling paranoid about missing my team's games next year.

I am not interested in any IPTV. I feel any IPTV services, specially the ones the Greek channels are on, are all just a ripoff.

Edited by Olympiakara10

What's with this Home2Us stuff? I went to their site. It looks very cheap and lame. I wouldn't get their service. They don't look like a legitimate company.

Home2us has been around since about 2003 I think, and cater to the ethnic communities primarily carrying mostly international channels. When the Greek channels left DirecTV earlier this year, they moved to Home2US and a new package was put together. Of course there are questions about the stability of everything, especially in this economy. There is a whole thread about it here as well if you are interested: http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...ic=13481&st=475

As for Olympiakos, someone told me Ert World is no longer going to air Olympiakos games.

ERT World has the rights to Olympiakos (and a few other teams) for the upcoming season, according to the information I have. Your friend might be referring to ERT in Greece- it has been rumoured they they plan to drop their soccer rights (Olympiakos & Xanthi) due to the economy and new cost cutting measures the government is looking to implement at ERT.

ERT World is a separate entity, they operate independently from ERT in Greece and have a separate deal for Super League matches which expires at the end of the 2011-2012 season. Its possible something might change but I doubt it because if ERT World dropped their soccer coverage they would lose subscribers. Unfortunately if something does change regarding TV rights we won't know about it until just before the season starts- that how the Greek networks operate.

Regarding ERT World availability, just sign up with Dish Network as that is the easiest and best option in your situation. They carry both ERT World & ANT1 Satellite so you can just wait until the season starts to see who will be airing Olympiakos matches then subscribe to that particular channel.

It appears this guy is trying to Anglicize ERT World, he is talking about adding newscasts in English and airing shows with subtitles?!  :huh: He states that ERT World should be like a bridge, whose purpose is to connect the omogenia with the motherland and the way to accomplish this is by air programming about tourism, culture and the economy- sounds to me like he wants to turn ERT World into some sort of cheap infomercial promoting Greece?! I think the channel is fine as is, they should add some programs specifically for the omogenia (which they did air at one point) and perhaps

a few comedies or dramas. Also, time to dust off their plan from a few years ago that called for the creation of 3 separate feeds for ERT World, where programming is aired according to the local timezone NOT local time in Greece.

I would not be in favour of adding English language programming and I am sure others feel the same. Most people who watch Greek TV do so to connect with their homeland AND to be able to watch Greek content NOT English.

If he plans to add this content but at the same time keep also the stuff that's already on there, then I myself don't have a problem w/ it. Newscasts in English would be great because for me I don't understand a lot of the things they say when it comes to economics and politics. I hated the fact that ANT1 pulled their English newscasts off the air a while back.

Newscasts in English would be great because for me I don't understand a lot of the things they say when it comes to economics and politics. I hated the fact that ANT1 pulled their English newscasts off the air a while back.

I believe at one point, ERT also had an English language newscast. If I recall correctly though, it was broadcast at some odd hour. As for subtitled programing, I believe there are a few shows currently that are broadcast with English subtitles. (I know I have seen at least one.) It will be interesting to see what exactly this new guy has in mind for ERT World. Let's hope it is nothing bad.

I would not be in favour of adding English language programming and I am sure others feel the same.  Most people who watch Greek TV do so to connect with their homeland AND to be able to watch Greek content NOT English.

I agree with you completely. I understand having some short 20-minute news bulletin for those who don't speak Greek but want to know what is happening in Greece. But since ERT World is not a free feed (like Russian Today, and France 24, two english-speaking feeds for instance) paying $15 to hear English with a Greek accent is not what I would pay for.

Then again, this is the same government whose current Minister of Education once had proposed making English the official language in Greece (back when she was a EU commissioner) so you never know...

Edited by likos

I believe at one point, ERT also had an English language newscast. If I recall correctly though, it was broadcast at some odd hour. As for subtitled programing, I believe there are a few shows currently that are broadcast with English subtitles. (I know I have seen at least one.) It will be interesting to see what exactly this new guy has in mind for ERT World. Let's hope it is nothing bad.

You are correct. They broadcast an english version of the news around 11 am eastern time. I'm sure they still broadcast it in Greece for the tourists.

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a find! This guy names names and makes a number of claims. Here is my problem with his argument though. There very well may be a scandal like he claims with the allocation of rights for ERT World, (more than likely, this is ERT after all) but what I don't like is that he seems to think that before this scandal there were no problems and no scandals with the rights for ERT World. Maybe he should look into what went on during the years Comart held the rights. Which was a fixed allocation process as well from everything we have heard and read. There were a number of scandals that were reported on this forum during the time they held the rights, from suing UBI, to the Dish Network debacle, to ERT being forced to take down their online stream back then. I'm not saying that this makes it right, but if he wants to blow the lid off a scandal, he should go all the way back and bring everything up instead of just parts of it. It seems to me that this guy might have an agenda to get the rights back to Comart/France Telecom GlobeCast.

Actually I would argue that forcing us living in North American to pay a subscription for the channel, while it is FTA on KU-band practically worldwide is the real scandal here. I'm still waiting for someone to bring up that issue....

EDIT:

Wait, in the video he seems to claim that they won the rights with "dirty money" that was made from an Australian who was accused of pirating the ERT World signal. Is he talking about the UBI and Comart thing when they sued them because they were rebroadcasting the FTA signal to their subs for free? Didn't the Greek courts rule back then that UBI did nothing wrong and dismissed the case? If this guy wants to "break a scandal", maybe he should get his facts straight first. :box:

Edited by Grk101

• 1 year later...

I noticed this morning there was no longer a channel 9830 which is ERT World. I first checked the website and nothing was changed. Then I did a little channel surfing and found out ERT World has been moved to channel 9531. Why would they move 1 channel and keep all the other TV and radio channels grouped together? Unless they plan to move the other channels as well. Why didn't they announce it via scrolling before they made the move? Does anybody have any info on this matter?

Edited by gang3171

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why this was done. A rep on the online chat said "as the orbital locations for the channel changes the system has to change the channel number too." Not sure what he was talking about, since it is still at 118.8w?

And by the way if you upgrade to the Hopper as I did all the Greek channels are in a group under channel number 605. So Ant1 = 605-01, ERTWorld = 605-02.....MEGA COSMOS=605-11.

Luckily you don't have to punch the "-" when entering the channel number. 605 actually will get you to Ant1 as being the first channel in the group and 60511 will get you to MEGA COSMOS.

Does anyone know why the Greek Cinema's guide does not display information but only either "Movie" or "Afieroma"? 

• 1 month later...

I noticed yesterday that ERT World has been reassigned back to channel 9830. On the current channel (9531), it states the official move as May 29. It's currently on both channels. I guess May 29 is probably the cut-off date for channel 9531. Why the move was made in the first place baffles me and it made no sense. Maybe it's something to give us to talk about (or me anyway) on this forum.

• 2 years later...

While it is nice to see an international version of ERT again, at this point their programming is gutted. Special interests still rule at ERT, and because of this, every move they make (positive or negative) is put under the microscope by opposing political parties. This is why they can never move forward with any productions or signing of on air talent. I highly doubt ERT will be able to sign any deals for Sports rights in the near future for ERT World.....

I have to say though, that I do look forward to the fiasco and shadiness that will accompany the awarding of the the worldwide rights to ERT World. :gr:

(

Edited by Grk101

It'll be interesting to see who in Canada wil pick it up? Will Ethnic Channels get it? Will Soundview get it? or will OTN get it? If doesc come to Canada expect Bell Fibe to pick it up and probably Rogers?

• 1 month later...

Did they say when it'll be available for Canada or the US?

No, they probably need to renegotiate with pay-tv operators to carry it. It will be free-to-air in Europe. No such luck in North America, especially with Globecast controlling the rights again. :tdown:

I wouldn't be surprised if it returns to Australia as a pay channel instead of FTA. I remember there were talks to move it to Pay TV, but the Greek-Australian community was firmly against it. I can see them changing this now with the re-launch....

Anyway, the real question is: Will anyone actually PAY for ERT World, considering how much ERT's programing has degraded? Let's see if something changes....

Edited by Grk101

I read somewhere that they already had first contacts to make ERT World available in Canada. I think it was on the SDTV website.

The European feed is now uploaded on Eutelsat Hotbird 13D. The video feed currently only displays an ERT World logo, but four radio stations are operating normally: Proto, Devtero, ERA Spor and Voice of Greece. The Trito radio station is also expected to be included in the lineup. 

Not sure if the radio stations are going to be available for the non-European feeds, but Dish used to carry ERA Spor and Voice of Greece in the past. 

• Lazarus changed the title to ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)