Phantis Forums

PAO v. Sparta Prague

athinaios

The first leg is on Wed. 21:45 (local time). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out who's going to carry it live. Please add the info if you know it.

As far as the game goes, PAO is the favorites, and I hear that everyone doesn't want a repeat of the Tbilisi game--I think the players understand this and we'll hopefully see a much better performance. We should score.

Roukavina is out, because of injury.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-2 Because I think we can score but also we're vulnerable in defense and hopefully this will show management that we need a solid CB! ;)

By the way, did you hear that Tbilisi airport was bombed by the Russians on Sunday? Glad we got the game against Dinamo out of the way, just in time! :la:

what channel carries the game tonight???

I cant find it (or the thrinos game listing) absolutley anywhere, nova, ert, contra TV etc....

AC Sparta Prague-Panathinaikos Novasport6 21:45 Gr. Wed 13 August 2008

Anorthosi wants 150.000 euros for the game and so far no greek channel has agreed to pay this amount.

As far as your game,i want to wish you good luck and get a win. :tup: :gr:

drakos13:Call my team thrynos again and no more info of your team broadcasts.... :P :LOL: :LOL:

Latest news:Olympiakos game will be on Novasport1 at 21:00gr time

i had read up until yesterday that the pao game was on Nova1 and now they changed it to Oly... what a downer.... i gotta find a stream online now because of this....

You are 100% correct on that one but are you sure that "they" gonna have the Osfp game instead of the Pao game???

I don't like Ten Cate's defeatest attitude. He said that even a narrow defeat may be acceptable and that the aim is to score :blink: This is Sparta Prague ffs, Pao should be winning this tie comfortably! So if they go to win and not approach the game like in Georgia I think we'll win 0-1 there and 3-1 at home. If they attempt a cautious approach though I fear we'll lose 2-1 there and then anything can happen in Greece.

^^^

Exactly this is Sparta Prague.

Theyre NOT terrible. Theyve even had runs in Europe before. Players like Peter Czech, Nvotny, Nedved, Poborky, Koller, Berger and Sionko have come out of this club in the past - they are certainly no losers, they tend to be bringing in the next generations for the Czech Rep...

They wont be too strong for PAO, but its no easy rout for most teams coming into Sparta in Europe.

A narrow win IS quite acceptable, and a great result. IMO.

I think 2-0 would be great..1-0, ill take.

Ten Cate doesnt have a defeatest attitude man...As long as we score is important...A defeat with goals isnt something we want, but no the end of the world (or the tie) - hes going for goals in Prague..3 forwards, for sure.

^^^

Exactly this is Sparta Prague.

Theyre NOT terrible. Theyve even had runs in Europe before. Players like Peter Czech, Nvotny, Nedved, Poborky, Koller, Berger and Sionko have come out of this club in the past - they are certainly no losers, they tend to be bringing in the next generations for the Czech Rep...

They wont be too strong for PAO, but its no easy rout for most teams coming into Sparta in Europe.

Euro2004 is right imo. So what if they've produced big players in the past? Red Star Belgrade won the European cup in 1991, does that make them a great team now? Arsenal smashed Sparta's rivals Slavia 7-0 last season and it could have been 12. I think that indicates the relative weakness of the Czech league. PAO should be winning both games against Sparta Prague, so yes Ten Cate does have a defeatest attitude. This IS an easy route into Europe considering teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Fener, & Shakhtar were also in the final qualifying round.

A narrow win IS quite acceptable, and a great result. IMO.

I think 2-0 would be great..1-0, ill take.

Ten Cate doesnt have a defeatest attitude man...As long as we score is important...A defeat with goals isnt something we want, but no the end of the world (or the tie) - hes going for goals in Prague..3 forwards, for sure.

Any win away from home is a great result, but a loss is a terrible result. Even a

0-0 would be a poor result. PAO have to win this game.

Re guys, relax. We are all talking like Pao is the biggest club in europe and sparta prague are nobodies. The truth is its better to be safe than sorry. It was only last year where Arsenal played sparta prague in the 3rd round of cl qualies. Arsenal lost in sparta 2-1 with a late away goal that eventually led them to progress.

I dont mind 3 DMs. forget not that sparta is already in form, having already played 4 games in their league and 2 more in cl. form is a big thing. either way, who am i to judge a coach after only a month with the team.

If Sparta were in the Greek league I doubt they'd make a UEFA Cup spot to be honest (I don't think they're as good as Aris and they're home ground is certainly not a fortress like PAOK's or Larissa's). So if the rumours are true and Ten Cate is going to play with 3 DMs then he's worse than defeatest, he's crazy! I'm not against a 5 man midfield but 3 DMs is too much. That would be a recipe for disaster against anyone. At no point has it crossed my mind that PAO wouldn't qualify for the CL, i've been so excited about seeing the greens back in the big time, but having heard the possibility of approaching the game this negatively it's made me extremely nervous.

What???? Not even UEFA? Come on. Sparta Prague, is a bigger club than PAOK and Aris man...Theres no contest.

How can you say that they wont make UEFA in Greece, and havent even seen them play this year...given they have a record thats actually better in Europe this century than AEK and OSFP ?

Sparta Prague has been to the second round of the CL Stages more times than OSFP in the last 8 years. More than AEK, thats for sure.

In terms of domestic talent - its a no contest between Sparta and any Greek team who produces better.

I think as a club the top two have more money and potential partic as of late, and we should win, we are favourited, but Sparta are not a tiny team, and they could have a good side this year. Given their Champions League history and their history of making great players theres no way your going to telll me theyre mid table Greek team...

Of the lineup I see, I think teams like Aris would BEG to have players like Repka and Kucera (safe to say they are better than Vyntra and Sariegui too) , Patrik Berger, Slepicka and even bench players like Matusovic would be BAM for Aris...

this is a young generation of Sparta, they may not be the best, but theyre bred alongside with the best and talent they are bound to have. Dont ever underestimate a team with that sort of recent history and exports talent like that.

For all we know they could have 4 future Czech stars on that team, we dont know, but we DO know this team does produce quality players on a regular basis. So its safer not to assume they suck and are incapable of playing PAO in their own stadium.

I dont think you can comment on Sparta after not seeing them and even if they lose to PAO, that wont say anything for their ability to compete consisetnely in the league...not even an UEFA Greek team is bonkers man...

You dont think Sparta is going to give it their all? theyre young, possibly a lot more talented than we know and have nothing to lose. We have every reason to beleive we could get a game on our hands.

As for Ten Cate, I hoped for only 2 DM. But if he thinks 3 is it, give the man a shot.

Hes respecting Sparta, which is the smart thing to do . He can change it at any time he feels like it, and will have no problem doing so.

Being nervous....chill your overreatcing I think. PAO plays well against Czech teams, and they look ready to go at them. My bigger concern is Sousa instead of Mantzios. Sousa hasnt played really any games, and has been called worthless by his fans at the last team he was in Braizl.

Recipe for disaster? Worse than defeatist??? Why? It could also very well be a recipe to shut down Sparta's midfield. Its an away game in europe, it counts. If Sparta load pressure on to our CB's were risking elimination. Its in Prague, so theres going to be some more posession and pressure than as in Athens. We still have 3 forwards in the game. We still have backs who will push up...Its not like DM means there never going to help out up front....Alex and Gilberto can go forward as necesary, but priority will be getting back to provide cover.

If Ten Cate sees an opportunity for us to exploit more of our possesion and doesnt see a threatening Sparta, hell change it, have some confidence.

What you SHOULD worry about, is TZIOLIS instead of Mattos, which I dont get.

Yeah, I heard that Tziolis may start instead of Matos. I don't get that. I also thought that 10Kate didn't think Tziolis was in consideration. Something must have changed. :o

By the way, just before the game and don't know if the game is being broadcast live. You guys have found anything?

I see a 2-0 win for us today. To be fair I agree with our coach to not start Matos or Mantzio today and start Tziolis and sousa instead. Matos has been very mediocre at best in his past few games and Tziolis was stellar last game so we have to give him a chance and by not starting Matos maybe it will light a fire under his ass again since he has been coasting it the last few games. Mantzios slows the game down way to much and has not impressed me at all so we have nothing to lose in starting this new guy to see what he is about. I see Ivan and Ninis coming on as subs. Did anyone hear that Rukavina is injured for like 2 weeks or so? Anyways come on PAO!!!

Archived