Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

thing that's pissing me off is Arsenal is trying to get the young tourko cb soyuncu. as soon as toprak came to dortmund sokratis didn't play as well - don't think it's a coicidence. he played great with hummels and bartra

they should get manolas as well. obviously sokratis's is a professional and will do his best but I think for chemistry purposes manolas would be way better and i'm not sure that mavropanos is ready to be a regular.

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the game, Arsenal won 8-0 but fans were trashing Sok on Twitter saying he's too slow. Very upsetting reading all these clowns' comments. People don't understand that this is practice for a CB and he's not gonna out there and kill himself in a pre-season match in July. Hopefully he shuts everyone's mouth soon. 

I hate to play this card, but I truly believe him being Greek attracts a lot of hate from foreign fans and they almost want him to fail.

• Like it 1

On 7/16/2018 at 2:30 AM, Argy said:

I didn't see the game, Arsenal won 8-0 but fans were trashing Sok on Twitter saying he's too slow. Very upsetting reading all these clowns' comments. People don't understand that this is practice for a CB and he's not gonna out there and kill himself in a pre-season match in July. Hopefully he shuts everyone's mouth soon. 

I hate to play this card, but I truly believe him being Greek attracts a lot of hate from foreign fans and they almost want him to fail.

I wish he'd gone to liverpool instead. Arsenal fans are pretty bad in general. Liverpool could win the title this year too and they're shaky with Lovren.

Edited by georgelaz

• 3 weeks later...

It's tricky to judge anyone's individual performance, including the club as a whole versus a powerhouse like Manchester City. They are a level above anyone else in the PL and Arsenal will not be facing such a talented, organized and fluid side every week. All things considered, Sok was very solid today. Goals were not on him, did a good job marking Aguero out of the game, and already looks like a leader vocally and through example at the back. Expecting him only to get more comfortable with the new system and his teammates in the next few weeks. Tough task vs Chelsea next week. Sould be interesting.

• Like it 1

Another full 90 for him in the 3-2 away loss to Chelsea. Reading some match reports and player ratings, he seems to have been their best defender last night. Scoring 6's and 6.5's for the most part. In a team that conceded 3 that's not bad. Rumblings about his lack of pace continues but he seems to be slowly winning over some fans.

Arsenal should've won the game based on chances, missed some real sitters, especially in the first half. 

Arsenal fans are the most obnoxious I've ever seen. Most of them had their mind made up on Sokratis before he hit the pitch and are looking for anything to reinforce their prejudice. They played Man City and Chelsea. Couldn't have asked for a more difficult first two games while he is still in the midst of getting comfortable; Best team in PL Man City and London rival powerhouse Chelsea. He has been very good. The players around him, including his midfield have not helped whatsoever as they got outplayed in both games. His partner, Mustafi, does not make things easier either as Sokrati is clearly the better of the two. Their comments on lack of pace, they really don't know what they are talking about. His robust style of play make fans that don't know much about him assume that he is slow, which is quite the opposite, as he was considered one of the quickest CBs in the Bundesliga. Most fans just read the misinformation on twitter and reiterate it without knowing much. Has he slowed down? Maybe a bit, I don't know. Maybe not. They call him old, yet he just turned 30 in June, which is prime for a CB. Like I said, obnoxious and they don't seem to rate players from Greece, which doesn't help their opinions. Paokarag4, you are right though, the mature, educated Arsenal fan is getting won over by two solid performances in the toughest of circumstances. 

• Like it 2

there was a chat I saw on IG and it had top speeds of arsenal players. sokratis was third behind aubamayang and bellerin. It was only 2 years ago he outpaced Ronaldo I doubt he got that slow. I think people are just stereotyping because of his strength that he's slow. I didn't see any plays in which Sokratis was outpaced really so don't get where these kids are getting these facts.

• 4 weeks later...

Sokratis had an astounding match on Saturday in Arsenal's 2-1 win vs Newcastle; His best yet. He is winning over his naysayers that did not believe he would be an impact signing. Sentiment on Twitter, for example, that was unjustly overly negative amongst Arsenal supporters at the beginning of the season, has almost completely shifted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good game for him overnight in Arsenal's 3-1 win to Burnely. Had a physical match up with Ashely Barnes and took no backwards steps (as we know he doesn't mind a scrap) Had a few crucial last ditch challenges as well when it looked liked Burnely was getting away. Getting mainly 7's and 8's from the sites giving player ratings. 
His no-non sense style is really starting to endear him to the fans. Bravo Sokrati, keep it up

• Like it 4

• Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic