Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

Just gave a way a penalty in the 15th minute against Monaco. Didn't look like a penalty to me, very minimal contact, if anything the majority of the contact was made outside the box. 
Justice is served (imo) as Monaco miss the penalty, 19th minute still 0-0 

he had a decent game yesterday , dortmund made again many defending mistakes which leds to the 3 goals they conceded yesterday. they need some more muscle next season. yes they have a hrad time at the moment but its a pretty much failed season so far for them.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/borussia-dortmund/124/blog/post/3107395/matthias-ginter-and-erik-durm-off-the-pace-as-dortmund-go-out-of-the-ucl

• 1 month later...

He is considered elite in Germany; easily a top 5-CB in Bundesliga, probably top-3. He is the best player Greece has ever produced.

Despite our lack of depth and skill in many positions, we are still in the midst of our most talented generation. Sokratis, Manolas, Mitroglou, Torosidis, Kpap, Karnezis would all be in Greece's all-time 23-man roster, most as starting XI. A case can probably be made for a couple of other current players as well. 

Edited by Argy

Our defence. With Either Stafylidis or Holebas as LWB with this Offensive duo of Mitroglou - Fortounis(talking about Fortounis of NT who obviously is much more interested than the one in Olympiakos lately- and I do not blame him), are honestly some of the best people we ve produced. Midfield is a problem. This team with some young Katsouranis/Karagounis would actually be a top 10 national team no matter who else took part in it.

Problem is that the team has a number of very decent top tier players, but 90% of them are defensive based. We need the key chain to unite this good defense with a good offense ending up in giving results but also an image of a team dominating some periods of time. We were shakey vs Bosnia vs Estonia vs Belgium, even vs Cyprus. Not to mention friendly vs Belarus. Even vs Australia. When the team is able to stand up to its feet in game, then will I agree we ve got a very decent team that can go furthen than Group stage of an upcomming WC or Euro. And as long as we surrender the midfield to every opposition, from pot 10 to pot 1 team, we won't see such a feature in the NT. 

Mitroglou

Tsiartsas     Karagounis

Zagorakis  Kats

Torosidis Sokratis Kpaps Manolas Seitaridis

Karnezis

Essentially our defense from now + seitaridis. our attack circa 2004 + mitroglou would be my starting 11.

If he makes a smart move after Augsburg, I'm sure he'll do great. Agreed that Sokratis is the best player we've ever produced. He's an absolute beast.

Now to find a replacement for the rapidly declining Torosidis.

• Like it 1

21 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Mitroglou

Tsiartsas     Karagounis

Zagorakis  Kats

Torosidis Sokratis Kpaps Manolas Seitaridis

Karnezis

Essentially our defense from now + seitaridis. our attack circa 2004 + mitroglou would be my starting 11.

Maybe Nikopolidis starting over Karnezis, but the rest seems right. I would have an attempt at drawing up an all-time 23-man roster, but I do not have enough knowledge of pre-2000 Greece. 

yeah same not gunna lie just got into football circa 2004.

I think Karnezis is the more talented goalie. Niko was always very shakey on crosses. Despite the euro victory. Niko also benefited from the park the bus era whereas now we press much higher with Manolas and Sokratis. Niko also was only Greek league whereas Karnezis is a top keeper in serie A. We never had a fully healthy Karnezis at a tournament and if was healthy during world cup we probably would have advanced to final 8 or more.

I'll give it a shot with my limited knowledge of pre-2000. This is based more heavily on their accomplishments with the ethniki, rather than at club level:

GK: Karnezis, Nikopolidis, (fill in blank)

DF: Sokratis, Manolas, KPapadopoulos, Kyrgiakos, Dellas, Seitaridis, Torosidis, Avraam

MF: Tsiartas, Karagounis, Zagorakis, Basinas, Katsouranis, Giannakopoulos

FW: Mitroglou, Gekas, Machlas, Charisteas, Salpingidis, Saravakos

Alternatives: Samaras, Samaris, Kapsis, Fyssas, Nikolaidis, Anastasopoulos

Edited by Argy

I think in those lists there are some guys from 70's and 80's or even 90's who had good runs in qualificiation rounds but most of the times they were coming up short. I'm talking about a qualification game against Romania for the World cup 1970, where we needed an away and would top the group ahead of Eusebio's Portugal which we had beaten in Athens. We drew them, eventually, because of coach's ego. (can't recall his name). While the team was accomondating in the hotel, coach called the players for a meeting and Domazos who most of you are aware of his importance as an all-time great in PAO and the NT wasn't wearing the NT t-shirt. Coach says, "hey, take that out and wear your jersey right now". Domazos refused to do so and coach kicked him out of the squad. As a result we didn't manage to qualify, such an amazing opportunity this team missed to make it to the world cup. These guys were legends with their respective teams but nobody mentions them as NT all time greats because they couldn't deliver the results. Sorry for the OT.

• Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic