Phantis Forums

Greece vs Brasil

That Fotsis is amazing. Love his itnensity, his talent, hustle and lead by example attitude. One can only wonder what could have been for the NT had he not gotten hurt just before last year's World Championships!

Question for the fans that actually folllow Greek basketball closely, how does this Greece team compare to the shambolic team of the world cup? What are our honest chances? Forget optimisim, where does this team stand.

The world cup team was really good actally. Your thinking of the euro team. On paper the euro team was not bad but they never really got going for some reason.

I dont really remember too much of that tournament but I think rebounding was a huge problem. Lazaros Papadopoulos was a useless rebounder nor could he shoot. Hes off the team and his replacment is that giant Gylnadakis guy who I have not seen too much off but he looks promising. Glyniadakis at least has size, somethign the tema normally missed. Sofoklis Schortsianidis is back after missing the euro, and hopefully he can regain his world cup form that we missed during the euro. With those two, Tsatsaris and Fotsis we should be able to do well on getting rebounds. As for guards, we have the best most complete set of four guards in europe. Papaloukas,Diamantidis, Zizis, and Spanoulis are all elite playeres and are among the best in the world.

As for our chances: We should win this mini pre-olympic qualifying tournament no problem. But when it comes to the overall olympics, I dont think greece are going to win. Could they ? Yes for sure. But I think the states are giong to take this tournament. There too good to choke as many times as they do. The teams that we really have to watch out for are Usa, Spain, Argentina and Russia. All four of those teams are beatable if we play our best, Lets see how it goes...

This Greek team is tough - but still have a tough road to qualify

What really impresses me is the level of professionalism, they are a serious squad that knows what it takes to win,

Papaloukas is a complete stud -- I'm shocked that he and Diamantidis are not in the NBA

I know that they probably don't have a huge desire to go but, I'm surprised a team hasn't gone after them hard

Spanoulis was the wrong player to go over to the NBA, but the other two could excel, as could Big Sofo

If you look at what veteran Europeans like Garbajosa and Calderon have been able to do, I don't see why the Greeks I mentioned couldn't do the same or better

Paxiotis7 - I dont know about the US

They added Kidd to the roster

they are 28-0 with him, but I still think this team is too selfish and too cocky to win

who is the point guard, Kidd? Paul is much better and so is Williams.

Anthoy, LeBron, DWade and Kobe all want/need the ball - how is that going to work?

The team is rather small Boozer Bosh and Howard are the only big men and none of them are dominant (Howard is a complete beast but athleticism alone doesn't cut it in these tourneys)

And again with Michael Redd not playing they have not added the shooting they need

Prince was a good pickup

This squad, on paper, reminds me too much of the other Yank teams of the past few years that is missing the cohesion, pure shooting and defence to win an international tournament

This Greek team is tough - but still have a tough road to qualify

What really impresses me is the level of professionalism, they are a serious squad that knows what it takes to win,

Papaloukas is a complete stud -- I'm shocked that he and Diamantidis are not in the NBA

I know that they probably don't have a huge desire to go but, I'm surprised a team hasn't gone after them hard

Spanoulis was the wrong player to go over to the NBA, but the other two could excel, as could Big Sofo

If you look at what veteran Europeans like Garbajosa and Calderon have been able to do, I don't see why the Greeks I mentioned couldn't do the same or better

Paxiotis7 - I dont know about the US

They added Kidd to the roster

they are 28-0 with him, but I still think this team is too selfish and too cocky to win

who is the point guard, Kidd? Paul is much better and so is Williams.

Anthoy, LeBron, DWade and Kobe all want/need the ball - how is that going to work?

The team is rather small Boozer Bosh and Howard are the only big men and none of them are dominant (Howard is a complete beast but athleticism alone doesn't cut it in these tourneys)

And again with Michael Redd not playing they have not added the shooting they need

Prince was a good pickup

This squad, on paper, reminds me too much of the other Yank teams of the past few years that is missing the cohesion, pure shooting and defence to win an international tournament

Loup,

This years American team is even better than past. With Coach K, they have one thing in common: they all believe in playing DEFENSE!

I see the red, white and blue bringing home a gold...finally! This team has the athletes and right mentality to bring home a championship. It'll be interesting to watch.

As for Papaloukas and Diamantidis...they would never consider a move to the NBA because they are making waaaay more money playing in Europe. Of course they have the talent to play in the Worlds best leauge, but it's all about the green!

This team is better than the WC team if for no other reason that Fotsis' return. He is a man among boys and draws defenders, thus opening for dribbles into the basket or outside shots.

The two things I've noticed about this team in THIS tournament: movement on the floor is more fluid and constant than the WC where it was too much one on one or penetration, pass the ball out to the shooters (who invariably missed). Secondly, their outside shooting has been more accurate although their mid-range shots need to be mroe consistent.

As for Papaloukas and Diamantidis, they would not make it in the nBA for the simple reason that their shooting is not good enough.

Archived