Who will go through?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go through?

• Spain in regulation time
    • Spain in et/pen
    • Italy in regulation time
    • Italy in et/pen
    • I don't care any more!

So far, every group winner has lost in the quarterfinals.

Does that mean that an Italian squad, without Cannavaro, with its defence seemingly in disarray, with Luca Toni unable to put away chance after chance, will put away a Spanish team with a deadly attacking partnership such as Villa and Torres?

A clear penalty and a clear foul on the edge of the box weren't awarded to Spain.. To add to that, when both players (Villa and Silva respectively) got down injured Italians got furious as they threw the ball out for fair-play (!) purposes..

I think my friend who I'm watching the game with has just made a great summary of Italy.. "They [italy] are like Greece 2004, with one exception.. They [italy] just can't attack!" :LOL: :LOL:

I do hope Spain win this game.. because at least they try.. because at least they don't care about ruining the game.. because their mentality is go for winning.. not like Italy who only care about not losing.. :angry:

and Cassano.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: you must be kiddin' me.. even Amanatidis was better in the group stages, bless him! :)

A clear penalty and a clear foul on the edge of the box weren't awarded to Spain.. To add to that, when both players (Villa and Silva respectively) got down injured Italians got furious as they threw the ball out for fair-play (!) purposes..

I think my friend who I'm watching the game with has just made a great summary of Italy.. "They [italy] are like Greece 2004, with one exception.. They [italy] just can't attack!"  :LOL:  :LOL:

I do hope Spain win this game.. because at least they try.. because at least they don't care about ruining the game.. because their mentality is go for winning.. not like Italy who only care about not losing..  :angry:

and Cassano..  :LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL: you must be kiddin' me.. even Amanatidis was better in the group stages, bless him!  :)

well......the world hates Italy.

Italy had every right to be angry. I think the only people I know who support Italy are Italians, reminds me of Greece this tournament...they cant stand their stupid idealistic fantasies of "the beautiful game" and other stupid corny phrases that imply the game should only be played one way not winnign tournaments.

David Villa was rolling around on the ground after a MILD foul and Italy had numbers forward. I am against fair play anyways, if you have an advantage, its your discression to play on. Theres no point playing fair play on a counter attack when an "injured" player is not even part of the play and wouldnt have been anyways. If its serious let the referee stop the game. Otherwise, expect no favours.

Even worse, David Villa ONE SECOND after the ball goes out of play gets up and dusts himself off. If a foul isnt called, mistakes happen. But David Villa deserved a yellow card for stopping play and play acting, who shockingly Spain have been doing more of than Italy today.

give "Fair Play" the referees, or dont expec it o be played. If I was Italian (or Spanish coach too, Italy also has the reputation) I would tell the players to go and win, and let the fair play to the referees. We wont lose our game for diving and play acting, and thats just too bad.

GS your bias and hatred for italy has gone way past reality. Amanatidis better than Cassano this tournament........honestly.

Spain wins on penalties....not really impressive game from Spain, Italy wasnt great either but had a great backline.....Id rather see Italy in the Semi-Finals, but at least Russia can take its revenge, and send this ego-inflated Spanish team back to La Mancha, when they can come back when they get a real footballing coach and not these old Spanish men who really despite this lucky success dont take Spain to the level they are capable of. Once they can stop being so stubborn and get somebody whos not one of Spains "old boys" like a Hiddink or an Advocaat who has a mindset for a national team and international football, then they should do well.

Spain's chances were not impressive, only a few decent ones from outside the area. And this is vs and Italy whos missing all their key CBs and CM's... Pirlo and Gattuso were badly missed out there..

Now all the moron spain bandwagon americans are happy. good for them, once in 12 years their incredible predictions for Spain to "be the team this year" have been correct, after guessing it every single year.

I really beleive Russia has gotten better every game, and they can definitley win against Spain...by the same formula they used against Holland...GO AT THEM for 120 mins. Spain was getting tired after 90 mins.....Russia's big chance to take revenge, a final are here....

ROSSIYA ROSSIYA !!!!!!!

you keep saying my hatred for Italy --though it's wrong, I have nothing against Italy, I am negatively biased towards the Italian football mentality-- is huge but your hatred towards Spain?!

well.. ego-inflated Spanish team? what makes you think so?!

I totally agree about the coaching thing.. why on earth do you bring Torres off with 7 mins to go to extra time while Villa can't move a leg cuz of tiredness?!

and my ideas about Cassano hasn't changed.. but I've just found a worse player than him.. Guiza :LOL: :LOL:

how on God Almighty's earth has he become topscorer in a league that includes van Nistelrooy, Nihat, Eto'o, Raul, Forlan, Kanoute...etc? .. definitely beyond me!

spain wasn't impressive.. man they weren't but they did try to do things.. they knew they were playing against a very strong b4 who are not the greatest players Italy has seen but still have a good bond and understanding of defensive principles and as we said, the old foxy Aragones didn't help either..

i still think they deserved to be in the semis.. well, maybe not exactly but they definitely deserved it more than Italy whose only f**n tactic was to launch balls to Toni and wait for Mr Moustache to make an impact..

it irritates me when teams who have technically gifted players try to play like this! I mean Romania, Greece, Sweden...etc can play like that because their strong point is not the number of technically-gifted players.. but Italy having players like De Rossi, Aquilani --who barely touched a football out there today-- and Del Piero --brought on with 10 mins to go for God's Sake-- only go out there to survive.. I mean defend and launch everything forward to their tall player.. the same goes for France, too who only try to go for counters rather than establish their own games.. this is the reason why I want to see surprise packages (Turkey, Russia, Croatia) and well-passing teams like Holland, Portugal & Spain to progress rather than teams who intentionally play dull football..

also check my posts from the WC.. you'll see that I didn't hate Germany there this much because they played a great aggressive fluid attacking football but they reverted back to their normal style in this EURO which infuriated me..

the bright side is at least we're not going to have the abF***ingsolutely dull final of Germany v Italy anymore..

Spain wins on penalties....not really impressive game from Spain, Italy wasnt great either but had a great backline.....Id rather see Italy in the Semi-Finals, but at least Russia can take its revenge, and send this ego-inflated Spanish team back to La Mancha, when they can come back when they get a real footballing coach and not these old Spanish men who really despite this lucky success dont take Spain to the level they are capable of. Once they can stop being so stubborn and get somebody whos not one of Spains "old boys" like a Hiddink or an Advocaat who has a mindset for a national team and international football, then they should do well.

Spain's chances were not impressive, only a few decent ones from outside the area. And this is vs and Italy whos missing all their key CBs and CM's... Pirlo and Gattuso were badly missed out there..

Now all the moron spain bandwagon americans are happy. good for them, once in 12 years their incredible predictions for Spain to "be the team this year" have been correct, after guessing it every single year.

I really beleive Russia has gotten better every game, and they can definitley win against Spain...by the same formula they used against Holland...GO AT THEM for 120 mins. Spain was getting tired after 90 mins.....Russia's big chance to take revenge, a final are here....

ROSSIYA ROSSIYA !!!!!!!

Drakos last week when Russia were battling it out with Sweden you were shouting "svergie" and now it's "rossiya"? Who is it you want?

I'd like to see Germany win it and I think they will.

you keep saying my hatred for Italy --though it's wrong, I have nothing against Italy, I am negatively biased towards the Italian football mentality-- is huge but your hatred towards Spain?!

I totally agree about the coaching thing.. why on earth do you bring Torres off with 7 mins to go to extra time while Villa can't move a leg cuz of tiredness?!

and my ideas about Cassano hasn't changed.. but I've just found a worse player than him.. Guiza :LOL: :LOL:

how on God Almighty's earth has he become topscorer in a league that includes van Nistelrooy, Nihat, Eto'o, Raul, Forlan, Kanoute...etc? .. definitely beyond me!

spain wasn't impressive.. man they weren't but they did try to do things.. they knew they were playing against a very strong b4 who are not the greatest players Italy has seen but still have a good bond and understanding of defensive principles and as we said, the old foxy Aragones didn't help either..

i still think they deserved to be in the semis.. well, maybe not exactly but they definitely deserved it more than Italy whose only f**n tactic was to launch balls to Toni and wait for Mr Moustache to make an impact..

it irritates me when teams who have technically gifted players try to play like this! I mean Romania, Greece, Sweden...etc can play like that because their strong point is not the number of technically-gifted players.. but Italy having players like De Rossi, Aquilani --who barely touched a football out there today-- and Del Piero --brought on with 10 mins to go for God's Sake-- only go out there to survive.. I mean defend and launch everything forward to their tall player.. the same goes for France, too who only try to go for counters rather than establish their own games.. this is the reason why I want to see surprise packages (Turkey, Russia, Croatia) and well-passing teams like Holland, Portugal & Spain to progress rather than teams who intentionally play dull football..

also check my posts from the WC.. you'll see that I didn't hate Germany there this much because they played a great aggressive fluid attacking football but they reverted back to their normal style in this EURO which infuriated me..

the bright side is at least we're not going to have the abF***ingsolutely dull final of Germany v Italy anymore..

so do you hate Greece too! ? :angry:

Why hate on a team that has a game plan and sticks to it? Defensive play is just as important as offense, and people are too impatient to learn how to appreciate it.

I hate, HATE whiny fans who cry about the "beautiful game" and all that other commentator and Nike commercial jargon they repeat and insist is how the game should be played. The purpose is to win, the best way to win is to play your game, with your strengths. Italy did the right thing today, kept a clean back line and went forward (not well and as often enough as they hoped, but got a few chances that could have stolen the game, and thats enough isnt it?)

Look at it differently.....Italy has so many of their essential players out, and played a beautiful defensive game . They did the right thing, Spain had no real threatening chances excep for a few kicks from outside the area only 1-2 would really trouble Buffon. Italy's style is conservative, and they have every right to stick to it as is goten them results in the past. Italy doesnt really have the attackingflair in midfield, other than Pirlo (whos still considered a DM) Totti (injured), and Camoranesi...there a country that just makes great defenders and DM, and a really good striker or two to finish the few chances they do get (Toni didnt have a great tournament aside from winning that penaly vs France)...

De Rossi, Perotta, Aquilani are all DMs btw.

I dont hate Spain that much, but I do hate people who wont shut up about them (esp in America, who all they care about is Torres and Villa), and this is the first time they have been "right" (although this performance today was quite rubbish and could just as easily lost, Camaronesi's chance was the best one in 120 mins of play and they only went through because of PK fortunes.

Torres and Villa are great forwards, but they arent used properly... All of Spains big chances were coming from midfielders- and it came as no suprise. The Russia 4-1 is all they can cling on to as to how great people think they are, they struggled to beat Sweden (who Russia tore apart like a hungry wolf) and theyre making at best half chances vs a depleted Italy. And still the American bandwagoners will not shutup, its annoying. And also everybody is giving

I do think many Spanish coaches are incredibly overrated, because they are associated somehow with the talent in their leauges (most that is not developed or grown there) and Aragones is a villager man... I dont care what some of these guys do in Spain, they are of course good coaches, but their talents are just more suited for the Spanish league, and not for big international play or national team coaches..... We get these coaches in Greece (and Turkey) and we see them go rather quickly with high expectations just because they managed a higher calibre team.

Could you imagine what a real international coach (that Spain simply does not have) could do with such a talented team? Why are the Spaniards so arrogant that their coach must be Spanish? Afterall Spain's best coaches in La Liga are rarely Spanish and the big clubs usually calling for foreign coaches, not for these old Spaniards.

(Guardiola is exception - hes a recent manager whos played professionally way more recently)

They deserve to be in that final after that unbelivable Nederlands game., regardless of that misrepresened scoreline vs Spain, when Arshavin has been back this team is a nightmare of attacking onslaughts...They will be happy to get Spain for revenge chances, but also not Italy, because Italy will focus their game on closing off their strengths defensivley and take the sting out of the Russians...

ROSSIYA ROSSIYA !!!!!!!

Drakos last week when Russia were battling it out with Sweden you were shouting "svergie" and now it's "rossiya"? Who is it you want?

I'd like to see Germany win it and I think they will.

I wanted Sweden to go through because I like Swedish people.

I want Russia to go through, because they showed how good they really were the other day, and I dont like Spain. Obviously Im supporting Greece, but theyre no longer in it. I like to pick a side when I watch a football match.

and my ideas about Cassano hasn't changed.. but I've just found a worse player than him.. Guiza  :LOL:  :LOL:

so do you hate Greece too! ? :angry:
F**n hell, man! I never said I hated Greece!!! :o

All I said was I can understand teams like Greece and for example Romania trying to set their playstyle on defensive set-ups and mantras because they don't have technically gifted players (and units as a result)...

But I just cannot understand why teams like France and Italy (and Germany in this tournament in some games, esp. vs Austria & Croatia) play so defensively when they have great players on the ball!! Especially this one striker/target man saga... Man, if you have forwards put them out there and play 4-4-2 or whatever! If you have f**n Del Piero or Di Natale who turned the game on straight after being brought on, field them instead of going with that 1,95cm-tall "kazma"!! If you have Henry and Ribery up there, don't just use them for counters, use them in all your offensive variations for God's sake!!

The reason I keep liking the way Portugal, Spain, Holland, Russia and Croatia in this tournament play is they know they have the gifted players and they let them pull the strings... It's as simple as that..

Obviously our understanding of the game and our approach to the game is very different which is quite normal because everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. But that's what I generally think about it all!

I hate Greece!!! :o

Hes Turkish ! Get Him !

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No but seriously Italy actually does not have a lot of flair/attacking players to go forward, they kind of lack a great creative midfielders and wingers that other countries do. Theyre limited to Defenders and Defensive midfielders, and strikers......theres a missing link creative wise and thats what causes them to be this way...Their strikers are really just finishers....their AM's are really just forwards......

only such a player Italy has is Totti, but hes not in this tournament, and he didnt really perform the role well anyways...Montolivo from Fiorentina though could be that AM link they always seem to lack. And they structure their team so it fits the strengths of their players..... Cant hate on that. Italy would not be so succesful if they let their defense open, only to not score goals or hardly score enough up front.

Italy as a football nation is similar to Greece only much more advanced. I mean Greek football just doesnt make great attacking talent....We get some but most of our big players are defenders and DM..... Even in our newer generations we have more big defensive talent than offensive minded.

Spain won on penalties. Watching the second half, I guess they deserved it but let's not forget that the Italian midfield was without Pirlo and Gattuso. Btw, I thought Antonio Cassano was fairly good on the left side - until yesterday.

As for "fair play", I don't think it should be left to the players to deal with it. If the referee sees a serious enough injury, he should stop play, allow the injured player to be administered to and resume play with a drop kick to the team in possession at the time of stoppage.

i have to admit that in events like this, this ooooo i got hurt, let me lie down for a while is irritating & hurts the game & the flow of the game.

i wish the player who goes down stays out of the pitch for several minutes, as a rule,then lets see how fast they get back up ;)

Quarterfinal 4, Vienna, game 28

Spain 0 - 0 Italy

half-time (0 - 0)

extra time (0 - 0)

penalty shoot-out (4 - 2)

Ref. Herbert Fandel (Germany)

Formation/Line-ups:

-------------------------Buffon (cap.)-----------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

------------Panucci-----------------Chiellini----------------

Zambrotta--------------------------------------------Grosso

---------------------------------------------------------------