Phantis Forums

Now THAT'S a miracle...

mangas21

The Gods of the Aegean have blessed the peolple of this region....

...so we will defend the cup for Greece......

Greetings to all Greeks and Turks who read this.... :tup: :gr:

....also Alexander the Great would be very proud of this ....:D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A thought just occurred to me...if Greece hands the European cup to Turkey, won't that be a kick in the teeth to those who turned us down in our joint bid to host the 2008 finals?  :P

...I agree with 100 %......

mostly the Germans and all the other "great" ( :P ) football countries are so arogant....

...every time they talk about luck and wonder of the greek team they forget that Greece fightet till the last minute and our boys do the same thing the guys from Hellas did.....

Turkey must win in 2008 and Greece in 2012..... the cup must stay in the near of the aegean sea... !

I believe that the success of the hellenic players give the anatolian players the motivation to defend the cup for our region !

OK sorry to be the sour grape here but I feel for the Croatian team in this case because the ref did only out up 1 minute of extra time, so why did he play 2.5 minutes???

The free kick that rustu (the keeper, i cant spell turkish names....or greek ones haha) took should not have been allowed. The game should have ended there. Maybe the ref punished Croatia for their over zelous celebrations, maybe he didnt. The fact is that Turkey's goal was in 120 + 2 so IMO it is a bit suspect. I have been very critical of the refs and this is just another example of how a BS call by a ref can completely change the outcome of the tournament.

That aside, concidering I didnt care too much for this game I still say well done to Turkey for actually taking advantage of that LUCK and turning it into a GOOOOOOL!!!!!!! Turkiye has played with heart, somthing that a lot of teams are laking. Maybe they deserve to win it on that fact alone.

Another thing; why on earth do players aim low on penalties?? everyone knows that the top corner is imposible to stop.

You could tell straight away (i mean it was written all over their faces) that the Croats were going to miss their penalties and that the Turks werent!!!!!

haha after the croation goal in said to myself, bugger they've won it, I want to see some penalties damn it!!!!!!

OK sorry to be the sour grape here but I feel for the Croatian team in this case because the ref did only out up 1 minute of extra time, so why did he play 2.5 minutes???

The free kick that rustu (the keeper, i cant spell turkish names....or greek ones haha) took should not have been allowed. The game should have ended there. Maybe the ref punished Croatia for their over zelous celebrations, maybe he didnt. The fact is that Turkey's goal was in 120 + 2 so IMO it is a bit suspect. I have been very critical of the refs and this is just another example of how a BS call by a ref can completely change the outcome of the tournament.

That aside, concidering I didnt care too much for this game I still say well done to Turkey for actually taking advantage of that LUCK and turning it into a GOOOOOOL!!!!!!! Turkiye has played with heart, somthing that a lot of teams are laking. Maybe they deserve to win it on that fact alone.

Another thing; why on earth do players aim low on penalties?? everyone knows that the top corner is imposible to stop.

You could tell straight away (i mean it was written all over their faces) that the Croats were going to miss their penalties and that the Turks werent!!!!!

haha after the croation goal in said to myself, bugger they've won it, I want to see some penalties damn it!!!!!!

I don't feel for the Croatian team at all.

They only had a few minutes left to play after getting the first goal. They could have kept everyone back and just kick the ball downfield but instead they tried to send two guys forward who I believed were called offside.

If they had stayed back then the ball rolls into the Turkish end and time runs out. Turkey gets one more crack at it and gets a shot deflected into the top corner. That's what happens in sports....you give a team another chance and they take advantage of it.

What's interesting now is that Turkey have some depth on their team so they should give the Germans a run for their money. If they can pull it off then all of a sudden most of the starters are back in for the finals and they will be well rested.

I'm hoping that it's good soccer (futbol) to watch.

By the way this is the first I've ever heard about the idea that Greece and Turkey should host the European Cup. Cruise ships line would make a killing as they would ship people from one sports venue to another.

Only Croatia is to blame....why they didnt defend like crazy and try to keep that away is kind of pathetic. The croatians were very arrogant and they paid for it. With that little time left, youre an idiot to try to send men forward or try to dribble players... I remember one play right before the ball went back to Rustu i thought man thats an unecesary risk...contain it, dont try to go for more youve got seconds left to win....

Also Senturk finish was beauty, but if I was a defender I would have lept right on to that ball there were plenty of croatians in the box, and basically a longer goalkick comes in they cant clear it ??? Why on earth isnt the box a swarm of croatian jerseys? sloppy defending, and they didnt finish and a predicted lame display from the penatly spot and they go home, deservedly. Turkey stayed in the game, put pressure on them and when croatia made the mistake they took it and finished it...Thats how the game goes.

Also They celebrated the goal they thought they won......the ref played more time because Croatia wasted game time celebrating the goal. Turkey were entiteld to the 2 mins on the clock + 1 extra, and Croatia's goal/celebrating took away their time. Its fair .

Why the hell are you laughing? They're as good as Greece. The only difference is their entire team is filled with young guys. Everyone from the goalie, to the defenders, to the midfielders, to the strikers are under 30 and most under 25.

Guus Huddink is a great coach. That's the difference between Greece and Russia: Age, speed, and coaching.

Hiddink isn't afraid to play an open game against anyone. Rehhagel would be staying back this game waiting to score on a set piece or a long ball header. Hiddink has a brilliant formation and is attacking the Netherlands. Russia's defense isn't brilliant. They aren't a great team. Holland is a great team. Spain is a great team. Italy is a great team. Russia is not in that category. So what's the joke?

I don't appreciate you coming in here and talking so arrogantly as if you rule the world and your opinion is the only one. It's not. Realize that and stop acting like a wise guy in every post.

Thank you.

Why the hell are you laughing? They

I don't appreciate you coming in here and talking so arrogantly as if you rule the world and your opinion is the only one. It's not. Realize that and stop acting like a wise guy in every post.

Thank you.

really...

because I appreciate you coming in saying my comments are m*****es and Im an NT spin doctor..... dont dare play innocent. Go and call peoples opinions m*****es - follow it up be even more outrageous statements like Russia are inferior to Greece, or Greece 2008 is better than the team in 2004....

I'm not usually belittling people here, but you really earned it here.

So all of this is "just" Hiddink...... Please tell me what players we have that are ANYWHERE CLOSE to the quality of Arshavin, Pavlyuchenko, Zyrianov, Anyukov - even Afinkeev etc..... This is not all "hiddink" by any means. These players are fantastic, and got the right coach to lead them. That Russian team would take at best 1-2 players from our Greek team if they had the chance. The rest are simply better, and just because you dont see them being in the Russian league, you think theyre automatically crap. The Russian league is incredibly underrated, esp by Greeks who think that they are crap because they dont go far in CL ( then they forget neither do Greek teams)

And what did Hiddink do his last job? Australia? Where they tied an aged Croatia and beat Japan? What a miracle coach. Their football was really nothing special, nowhere close to resembling what Russia is doing there. So clearly theres tons more to it than "Hiddink"

Actually there isn't much more. Since when was Australia a powerhouse? Hiddink was considered a mastermind/hero in South Korea and Australia and even Netherlands before coming to Russia.

You don't get into arguments? Innocent? You're been the one yelling about everything Greece-related since the Euro began as if Greece is San Marino and never supposed to win another game.

Greece HAS the young talent. It is NOT being utilized.

Not even close to the talent? Who are you kidding? Why? Because Russia went this far? Because russia beat Greece? Who even thought Russia would go this far in the tournament? Pretty much nobody.

The league is on par with the Greek league and that's about it. They have good, young, talented players. So does Greece. You know the difference? Russia's entire team is under 30 and mostly under 25 while Greece had 5 30 year olds in their lineup. You know the other difference? Hiddink isn't afraid of other teams and actually trusts his players. Otto won a Euro and still insults his players saying they will lose 5-0 against Sweden if they play more open.

Greece can be Russia but they are not for reasons I stated in my previous post.

I'm not making outrageous statements. You're just pushing your opinion as a fact and for everyone to eat it up, including me. Sure you don't have any problems when all you're doing is yelling how we're all inferior to you and you know more about soccer than anyone else and that we're disgraceful fans. Nobody is going to bother to respond to that.

Actually there isn't much more. Since when was Australia a powerhouse? Hiddink was considered a mastermind/hero in South Korea and Australia and even Netherlands before coming to Russia.

You don't get into arguments? Innocent? You're been the one yelling about everything Greece-related since the Euro began as if Greece is San Marino and never supposed to win another game.

Greece HAS the young talent. It is NOT being utilized.

Not even close to the talent? Who are you kidding? Why? Because Russia went this far? Because russia beat Greece? Who even thought Russia would go this far in the tournament? Pretty much nobody.

The league is on par with the Greek league and that's about it. They have good, young, talented players. So does Greece. You know the difference? Russia's entire team is under 30 and mostly under 25 while Greece had 5 30 year olds in their lineup. You know the other difference? Hiddink isn't afraid of other teams and actually trusts his players. Otto won a Euro and still insults his players saying they will lose 5-0 against Sweden if they play more open.

Greece can be Russia but they are not for reasons I stated in my previous post.

I'm not making outrageous statements. You're just pushing your opinion as a fact and for everyone to eat it up, including me. Sure you don't have any problems when all you're doing is yelling how we're all inferior to you and you know more about soccer than anyone else and that we're disgraceful fans. Nobody is going to bother to respond to that.

not much more......so its ONLY hiddink.

Players like Arshavin, Pavluchenko , Anyukov, Afinkeev, Ignasevitch, Zyrianov are all about the same quality as Salpiggis, Xaristeas, Seitaridis, Nikopolidis, Dellas, and Katsouranis.

The reason I say Greece doesnt have that kind of talent has nothing do to with Russia going this far.

If you didnt watch the game, please do then talk. I find it unbelievable that you seriously think Arshavin, Pavluchenko are at the same level as who we have even in our youth. Its not just Russia in this game, its been the progress of Russian teams showing in Europe, and we knew this Russia was a special one, Hiddink or not, this is one of their top generations of players theyve had in a while maybe since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Im not saying Greece is San Marino...we all knew things could go bad this tournament. Our defense was incredibly weak going in - and it was proven, even with 5-4-1 we could barely play defense man. Have you ever thought damn.....Otto might be right on this. I was calling for the guys head after the Turkey game btw. But he really was right.....Our defense is SO weak its ridiculous. even with 9 men back we couldnt contain the Swedes who were getting great chances... I disagreed with Otto but now that i think about he was dead on.....this defense cant stand the pressure and it needs all the help it gets. I wanted to see the team go forward too but, I cant call otto rehagel for trying to reinforce the teams weakest point.

Antzas, aged Dellas, out of form Seitaridis, aged Basinas and a crap Katsouranis, even Kyrgiakos wasnt in good showing. This team was not good enough to go through. We couldnt even make chances against Armenia before the tournament and they were making chances on us when we played open...This is not our time.

Maybe your misintrepreting it - my view is that Greece is a solid european footballing nation. Some years just arent our years, be it age, form, tired - this was just one of them. I know the team has talent coming up - but its not there yet ready for a tournament. Were in a bit of transitional phase. Even with Ninis , Papasta8opoulos who I beleive could have played, we still wouldnt have accomplished a good showing.

It just isnt our year is what Im saying. Were going to be back, and when the youth generation is more ready they should come in starting this fall. So I am hoping, and I know well have a great team in the future (or at least a lot of potential for one)

but RIGHT NOW we are in a point where are core players are too old, and our young prospects not ready to fill in yet.....transition is all. I dont think Otto Rehagel did the most he could, but he did try, and aside from that Sweden game the players worked their asses off...

And Hiddink is a good coach, but crediting him entirely for Russia's success is just ridiculous. He was the right man for the right team, and this team has so much more to work with than the CURRENT Greek team.

im done on this topic, you have you own opinion, but their is a fact, and thats that this Russia team has quality this Greek team just doesnt have.

So Russia's defense is any better? Spain copped 4 goals on them. We even had some chances against them.

There's an old saying in football and that is that the best defense is offense. If you attack the ball, anything can happen. Russia proved that theory once again. If you play 5 men back against Sweden(or anyone), you will most likely lose. Why? Because you're not giving yourself a chance to win AND you're conceding to the opponent that they are the better team.

Russia has some quality players and that's undeniable but to automatically put them into a "great" category is laughable. Greece has the young talent to do what Russia did. First they need to get them some playing time and then they need to change their style of play and adapt the style Russia did.

I think it's clear that Arshavin or Pavlyuchenko would EASILY walk onto our team at this point. That being said, we managed to contain Russia relatively well up until that vlakia Nikopolidis pulled. We were even taking the game to them in the second half (although they were still getting some very good chances against us on the counter and they seemed to look dangerous on nearly every attack).

As for Turkey, congratulations to them. Definitely the cinderella-story of this Euro. As I said when they defeated Norway in Norway to claim 2nd place in the qualifying group, they have lots of heart and determination. However, my prediction is that Germany will be the end of the road for them as they will go out in a 2-1 loss.

Two minutes added time in the Turkey - Croatia quarterfinal??? I thought I saw something like 3-4 seconds above the one minute added, no more, when the goal was scored.

In any case, the rules clearly state that the referee is the timekeeper of the game, no one else and if he feels there were extra delays after the et is posted by the 4th official, he should allow for it.

turkcell, congratulations and good luck with ZE germans. It is obvious your team has heart and talent so anything's possible! It will be sweet if Turky lifts the cup, keep it in the neigborhood so to speak :D

I can honestly not believe that you regard this tournament's Greece level with this tournament's Russia... :nono:

In the first two games Russia played (Spain/L 1-4, Greece/W 1-0), they were w/o their most influential player and as he returned back they simply pounded an ever-strong Sweden and a fluid-playing Holland..

As said, the players do have great chemistry and a colossal coach --who simply developed any team he's been to (Holland, PSV, Korea Rep, Australia and now Russia - the only team he was not successful was Fenerbahce anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: -) ..

To add to that, when we look at the players individual qualities, they have the best young GK in Europe (Akinfeev), probably the fastest LB in the competition (Zhirkov), a great target man (Pavlyuchenko) and the best individual performer of the competition so far (no need to name him)..

While Greece have half the squad from EURO 2004, which results in having many players above 30.. You definitely have the worst GK in the competition, a good-looking but harmony-lacking central defence, three mids who did nothing in this tournament except for running unnecessarily, a used-to-be-promising RB who has gone backwards ever since that success and way out-of-form forwards...

and finally, there is a saying in Turkish.. "Dost Acı Soyler" which translates as "A Real Friend Sings the Pain" which means "True People Always Say What They Believe even if It Is Painful".. ;)

Just finished watching the Kroatia Turkey game and I am still impressed with the teamwork and heart Turkey displayed.

And one more thing that's obvious to me, while the Kroats were distrot and in teers for loosing this game all our levendes have put forth after each lose has been tsampouka kai magia. And that's the biggest reason as to why they have no problem with being tossed on their a$$. What says you Lazarus?

I can honestly not believe that you regard this tournament's Greece level with this tournament's Russia... :nono:

In the first two games Russia played (Spain/L 1-4, Greece/W 1-0), they were w/o their most influential player and as he returned back they simply pounded an ever-strong Sweden and a fluid-playing Holland..

As said, the players do have great chemistry and a colossal coach --who simply developed any team he's been to (Holland, PSV, Korea Rep, Australia and now Russia - the only team he was not successful was Fenerbahce anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: -) ..

To add to that, when we look at the players individual qualities, they have the best young GK in Europe (Akinfeev), probably the fastest LB in the competition (Zhirkov), a great target man (Pavlyuchenko) and the best individual performer of the competition so far (no need to name him)..

While Greece have half the squad from EURO 2004, which results in having many players above 30.. You definitely have the worst GK in the competition, a good-looking but harmony-lacking central defence, three mids who did nothing in this tournament except for running unnecessarily, a used-to-be-promising RB who has gone backwards ever since that success and way out-of-form forwards...

and finally, there is a saying in Turkish.. "Dost Acı Soyler" which translates as "A Real Friend Sings the Pain" which means "True People Always Say What They Believe even if It Is Painful".. ;)

I think you have a problem reading. I didn't say Euro 2008 Greece is just as good or better than this year's Russia. Why would I say that when we finished with 0 points?

I said that with better coaching tactics and a whole group of better, younger players we could possibly match what a Russia could do.We need to stop playing defensive football with old and slow players and call up the younger players.

Sweden, a great team? Russia, a great team? For F***s sake astes tis m*****es already! Who are you man? The Greek national team spin doctor? We sucked ass and we lost to inferior teams. Yes - INFERIOR TEAMS.

I think GS was referring to THIS.

They looked inferior to me in all their games before Russia played Holland. Same with Sweden, who still are.

I don't want to keep repeating this over and over again but if we had picked the right players and had the right mentality then we would be talking about Greece in the quarters right now or at least of a more respectable showing than 0 points and 1 goal. The group wasn't hard at all.

Archived