Phantis Forums

Surprise Team of Euro 2008?

Irlandos

Which team will be the surprise of Euro2008?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be the surprise of Euro2008?

• Switzerland
    • Croatia
    • Romania
    • Russia
    • Turkey
    • Poland
    • Austria

I wouldn't even consider Croatia a team that won't do well.

So if the critics believe they won't do well, I definitely believe Croatia will surprise! :)

Also, Russia, Romania and Turkey are also very able to achieve an upset...

Its going to be Russia....

After taking the Eurobasket, hosting the CL, Zenit taking the UEFA dominating, the ice hockey and now even the Eurovision........ Russia is just doing well in performances as a country right now, and wont be suprised if Russia somehow goes all the way....

Croatia will also be a "suprise" even though they wont really be. The term suprise is meaning less and less I feel - Greece proved that any team that plays well and competes hard in the tournament can take it all the way, because pretty much all the teams have the quality to.

Croatia has Poland and Austria to beat and there in.....they wont have too many problems, but you never know.......Austria match could very well be a derby...Austria is being written off even as hosts but maybe theyll prove some wrong..

The Euro is very competitive and is pretty much an open tournament.... the top dogs arent always going to be the winners.....every team in europe is capable ..... only a handful of team simply have no chance of winning it (id say Sweden, Poland, Austria)

But I really hope the big suprise is Romania :tup:

Biggest surprise for me is Turkey

Our neigbors has a good chance to advance into the quarterfinals and maybe semis since Group A isn't a real difficult group. Switzerland is an average team with many injury problems, Czech Republic lost there team captain (Rosicky) for the rest of the tournament, and Nedved choose not to play for the Czechs. Only Portugal is the real threat in this group.

If Turkey does go to the quarterfinals they may face Germany (most likely).

Guys Zenit might be very dangerous, but don't confuse them with Russia. If PAO does well it doesn't mean Greece will do well.

Zenit won the league and the UEFA Cup, yet Russia scraped through to Euro 2008 and in the last friendly against a proper team (Romania) they lost 3-0 and it could have been 5 or 6. Yes they're good, but IF they manage to get through our group and they play someone from Group C do you think they'll qualify? Personally I think the surprise package will either be:

Switzerland or Romania.

Guys Zenit might be very dangerous, but don't confuse them with Russia. If PAO does well it doesn't mean Greece will do well.

Zenit won the league and the UEFA Cup, yet Russia scraped through to Euro 2008 and in the last friendly against a proper team (Romania) they lost 3-0 and it could have been 5 or 6. Yes they're good, but IF they manage to get through our group and they play someone from Group C do you think they'll qualify? Personally I think the surprise package will either be:

Switzerland or Romania.

but:

they have a lot of the strong players Russia had.....

they also have Hiddink who is a suprise man......

and finally.....so what if they lost in a friendly......we got harassed by Hungary, i hope that means nothing either... :unsure:

Switzerland or Romania.

but:

and finally.....so what if they lost in a friendly......we got harassed by Hungary, i hope that means nothing either... :unsure:

It's not just a friendly they lost though... they lost to Israel in their "big" game in qualifying and when they were given a life line by Croatia they just about beat Andorra 0-1. Yes the Russians have some good players that play for Zenit, but Zenit also have some key players that don't play for the Russian team, like Tymoshuck & Denisov.

I'm not saying we should underestimate the Russians, but they don't seem to be as effective as Zenit.

Switzerland or Romania.

but:

It's not just a friendly they lost though... they lost to Israel in their "big" game in qualifying and when they were given a life line by Croatia they just about beat Andorra 0-1. Yes the Russians have some good players that play for Zenit, but Zenit also have some key players that don't play for the Russian team, like Tymoshuck & Denisov.

I'm not saying we should underestimate the Russians, but they don't seem to be as effective as Zenit.

recently they crushed Kazakstan 6-0 (yes its Kazakstan, but six goals is still big, Greece in all their matches with Kazaks never did that well) today they beat Serbia too..

This Russian team could even win the group I think......there so serious, determined and talented....Hiddink does great in these tournaments too.

True Denisov and Tymoschuk arent on Russia......but.... Pogrebnyak Arshavin Synchev , Semak..... Russian football is on the rise....the Russian league is very strong, and very unknown. Most of these unheard of players to most are actually going to show that they are just as talented and promising as most other big nations in the tournament.

Russia may not be as good as Zenit but there still going to be extremley dangerous team. They are tough, technical, determined....I honestly think this will be tougher than Spain game, beceause Russia cant be predicted, and they can dominate all aspects of the game, where Spain is very predictable as is Sweden.... this could be Russia's year.

The Swiss, look out for them. Not only are they good, but they are hosts, and as we saw in Germany, being the host can carry a team far

Switzerland or Romania.

but:

recently they crushed Kazakstan 6-0 (yes its Kazakstan, but six goals is still big, Greece in all their matches with Kazaks never did that well) today they beat Serbia too..

This Russian team could even win the group I think......there so serious, determined and talented....Hiddink does great in these tournaments too.

True Denisov and Tymoschuk arent on Russia......but.... Pogrebnyak Arshavin Synchev , Semak..... Russian football is on the rise....the Russian league is very strong, and very unknown. Most of these unheard of players to most are actually going to show that they are just as talented and promising as most other big nations in the tournament.

Russia may not be as good as Zenit but there still going to be extremley dangerous team. They are tough, technical, determined....I honestly think this will be tougher than Spain game, beceause Russia cant be predicted, and they can dominate all aspects of the game, where Spain is very predictable as is Sweden.... this could be Russia's year.

The day before yesterday Montenegro beat Kazakhstan 3-0. I'm not trying to undermine Russia, they're a good team. But people seem to be getting carried away with Zenit's acheivements. That's like saying Turkey will win it because Fenerbahce were great in the CL, or England will win the W/C because Chelsea and Man Utd went to the final.

Montenegro isnt going to be a weak side by anymeans..they have some really good players and are a young team. (not just as a team but their players are young)

and still 6-0 is 6-0. In European football even amongst smaller teams like Kazakhs are becoming less and less common in this age of European football.

Im not really judging solely on ZENIT......Im saying they have a strong team, theyve been playing well, plus Russia seems to be winning everything this year, this is Russia's year (Basketball Euro, Ice Hockey WC, Eurovision, UEFA)......Also theyre under Hiddink whos a great coach, and theyre incredibly serious about going there to win the group..... Zenit was more of a warning that they have some players who are very very talented...Not only that, the Russian season began a few months ago, most of these players are better rested on top of all this....Theyve got momentum as an athletic nation, theyre going to be organized, and theyre serious about making a difference....and if they put there heads down they could make quite the run in Europe. So Im picking them as a surpise team. All they need to do is beat Greece and Sweden to go through, and I think they have fantastic chances of doing that, and then winning whoever is next.

This has nothing to do with Fener or Chelsea (who made it all with foreign players anyways, that would be the big difference there)

This has nothing to do with Fener or Chelsea (who made it all with foreign players anyways, that would be the big difference there)

That's not strictly true... the CL final had Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Hargreaves, Carrick & Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes, Rooney on show... that's 10 English players.

While the Turks have a rule which limits the amount of non-Turkish players allowed in a team so they always have many Turks in the side.

But anyway, I'm not saying you, personally, are rating Russia because of Zenit but their is a tendency to do that among some of the members here.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived