Phantis Forums

Nikos Karelis ‒ (now playing for Panaitolikos)

plato-ny

From www.sportingreece.com:

Ergotelis striker Nikos Karelis is heading for a trial with Premier League side Arsenal this month, according to the Cretan club.

The 16-year-old, born on February 24 1992, became the youngest player to take part in a Super League game last Sunday when he came on as a second-half substitute in Ergotelis's 2-0 win over Xanthi, a result that kept his side in the top division.

Ergotelis said in a statement on the club's website that Arsenal have invited Karelis to take part in training and an Under-16 tournament between April 29 and May 5.

The Cretan club said they have agreed to release Karelis after being given clearance by the teenager's father.

The striker, who says Arsenal strike Emmanuel Adebayor is his idol, declared himself thrilled with opportunity to spend time at the London club.

"I know that it will be very difficult to start with but I am going there to succeed," Karelis told Sport 24.

"Even if I don't make it, I think I'll gain lots of useful experience that will help me improve in the future."

If Karelis makes it at Arsenal, he will be following the footsteps of central defender Stathis Tavlaridis who moved from Iraklis to the Gunners in 2001, at the age of 21.

Tavlaridis failed to budge Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure from the starting 11 and had to settle for just eight appearances in his three years at the club, which included loan spells at Portsmouth and Lille.

Tavlaridis made his move to Lille permanent in 2004. Last summer he moved to Saint-Etienne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Nikos Karelis came on as a 77' minute substitute for Alejandro Pozuelo when the score was 1-1 in his debut for Genk whom were also with 10 men from the 35' minute due to a 2nd red card & in the 88' minute Karelis scored the winner to give Genk a 2-1 home win over Waregem.

• Like it 1

A few years ago the Greek Super League was a much better league than the Belgian Pro League but in the last 4-5 years although Olympiacos has stayed at the same level the rest especially between the 2nd best til mid table have dropped big time that it's not funny & the Belgian Pro League is now a better league.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podosfairo/gkolara-me-guristo-o-karelis/3135463

• Like it 1

Not knowing much about the Jupiler League i would say with confidence that it is probably better run compared to the organised chaos in Greece

Football-wise the Greek league in my opinion is very underrated to the point of disrespected

You are so wrong.

Greek Superleague is overrated just by the fact that we got a team at Champions League.

There are no more than 50 good - worth to watch players in total in Greece.

Saw Levadiakos - Iraklis today and I just realised that all teams focus on having 1-2 good players and just filling the rest gaps with whatever is available and cheap. Talking for all 3o-4es omades. Oly Pao Paok and Aek and Asteras have some decend starting 11s.

Also about the Belgium League its a more successfull Holland League where they usually bring no-namers and make them big to sell them.

Belgium is 9th at the Country Ranking , wheras we are 14. And while this difference sounds small , we are talking about 10,000 points.

And Belgium made these 10,000 points difference with Teams in Europa League mostly , as its not common for the Belg teams to do well in Champions League. Our Europa League teams on the other hand either escape the groupstage with 1,2,3 or max 6 points, or they dont even make it there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Nikos Karelis ‒ Free agent
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Nikos Karelis ‒ (now playing for Panaitolikos)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Argy unlocked this topic