Phantis Forums

Tommy Kostopoulos

loup

I had a chance to see this kid play in his younger years as a London Knight

He has some talent, is very gritty and a tremendous head for the game

Last night he scored the winner vs the Flyers, as his tremendous run in Montreal continues

He is hugely popular there for his style of play and because he is fluent in French

Keep watching this guy as the Habs move toward another Cup run

Greek community honours past and celebrates its future

Thousands march along jean Talon St. Habs forward Tom Kostopoulos steals the show

JASON MAGDER, The Gazette

Published: Monday, March 31

It's not every year that Montreal's annual parade marking Greece's independence starts and ends with a chant of "Go Habs Go!"

But with Montreal Canadiens forward Tom Kostopoulos as this year's grand marshall, there was an added feeling of pride for Greek Montrealers, celebrating the March 25, 1821 uprising by Greeks to overthrow the Ottoman Empire.

"I was very excited to meet him," said Nicholas Antoniades, 13, who took part in the parade as part of the Greek language school at St. Michael's church, and then hopped onto the stage to be photographed with his hero. "Because he's Greek and we're Greek, I really like him."

Kostopoulos autographed the Greek flags both Nicholas and his brother Pavlos, 7, were carrying, as their sister Stephanie captured the moment on the family's video camera. The family lives in Trois Rivières, but travels to Montreal every weekend to attend Greek school.

"We've been coming to the parade every year," said their mother, Olga Dafniotis. "It's important to remember how our ancestors gave their lives to liberate our country."

The parade, which also recalls the Greek religious holiday Evangelismos, kicked off about 1:30 p.m. on Jean Talon St. at the corner of Hutchison St. About 30,000 people lined the street, one organizer said.

While the parade honours the past, it also celebrates the future. Hundreds of children, from preschoolers to high school students, marched along the route, many dressed in traditional Greek dress. Many parochial Greek schools and language schools participated in the parade, as did the English Montreal School Board.

"I like the feeling it gives me," said Filitsa Georgoudakis, 37, who was attending the parade with her son, Tilemahos, 5. "It sounds corny, but it makes me proud to be Greek."

Toward the end of the parade, a crowd gathered in front of the main stage, where dignitaries were sitting. While some took photographs of Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay, federal Liberal leader Stéphane Dion and Justin Trudeau, Liberal candidate for the Papineau riding, most were clamouring to get an autograph or picture from Kostopoulos. Others just wanted to show their support, as they broke out into a chant of Go Habs Go! when the parade ended.

Dion said Montreal's Greek community has a lot to be proud of.

"The Greek community is a model of integration in a multicultural country," he said. "Each time I meet someone who is Greek, they speak English, French and Greek, and sometimes even a fourth language. They are the future of our country."

For his part, Kostopoulos was pleased to be king for a day.

"It feels great," he said. "It was fun to be here and get to know some of the community and take part. I hope we can have another one in June," he said referring to a Stanley Cup parade.

[email protected]

:tup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived