Phantis Forums

The CL semis discussion

REY

Tonight Chelsea tied Liverpool on 94th (1:1) and going into the revenge with a good result. :tup: I'm glad of course since I'm a Chelsea and also, can be said, Inter fan even before the Abramovich Era. ;)

Barca vs. Manu 0:0 it finished. I wasn't waching this game but maybe 15-20 minutes in total, since in the same period I was watching Aris. But I watched some highlights and I think in the first half in some good period Barca had 90% + of the ball possession, if it is to believe my commentator here and I'm not sure I can believe in that data :o . Totally outplayed Manu, but I seriously think Barca (just like Aris) are lacking a natural striker or a better formation maybe, anything- since Eto'o hasn't been the old himself after the last year injury and Henry even when he starts is used wider. The similar attacking problems that Aris have had, of course I still think Aris are better :P

It's not that I blame Manchester, but they choose to play conservative game away from home, similarly what they did in Rome and partially at Lyon and now Barca...but they do pretty well playing so.

Manu - Barca 1:0, Manu through!

I still think that there is no difference in quality when we compare Manu and Barca. Moreover, I think that with any good and more experienced coach, they would be better than Manu.

Rijkaard has been with Barca for some years now, but I can't remember I've ever seen more than once something else but just typical narrower 4-3-3 ( I mean the version with wrong-footed wingers) regardless of the result whether 2:0 or 0:2, even if Rijkaard's life depended on a formation change he wouldn't change it before 87 or 88th minute for example when he did with Gudjonsen in this match, but it was too late of course...he wouldn't change it earlier even if it was about the progression to the Champions league final as it was the case tonight.

Rijkaard is one young, overrated coach, who just like many other inexperienced ones can only function under the perfect conditions, atmosphere and circumstanced in a team and its environment...and any distraction in discipline for example, causes a chaos.

Sure, I don't wanna even mantion, how it is easy for your opponents to read that constantly same game over 4 years now. Also I already said something about their attacking problems. 5 successive matches now (Primera + CL) they haven't scored a single goal, 7 without a win...Eto'o absolutely sucks, not knowing where and what he plays, also his choices and selections when trying to pass the ball or even short-cross it into the box are tragic, Henry will never be tried as a ST sometimes not always a LW, but of course for a narrow minded and one-way-traffic coach like Rijkaard is, that is a problem. Krkić too wide on the right etc etc...plus if you include their poor finishing, you know what I'm talking about.

I guarantee that this Barcelona under Mourinho, Hiddink or Benitez would have gotten through and gotten 1:1 somehow.

Also important to mantion that heart even more than skills wins the Champs league double legged matches and just look at how many warriors Ferguson has compared to Rijkaard: Tevez even as a lone striker can run how much kilometers he wants, Owen H. on that right side too, even Nani when subbed off ran about 9,5 KMs and team's average was around 8,1; Ronaldo is always naturally very fit and can run too and some other guys...and you get what you get.

Speaking of Ronaldo, one more time Messi can teach him a lesson how to play effectively in bigger matches without too many lost balls and the stuff.. but as long as he is injury-prone and generally unfit, Ronaldo does not have a serious competition. A FIT Messi is bigger than fit but also a bit tired Ronaldo (let's try and understand Ronaldo who has played 12.345 matches this season at least, but still his phisical shape is overall phenomenal)

I still think that there is no difference in quality when we compare Manu and Barca.

Having seen both legs I'm convinced Barca are superior. They definitely need a target man though. Eto'o is crap. Drogba would be perfect. They also need a right back, and a left back because Zambrotta and Abidal wouldn't get into the Olympiakos team on the evidence of this season. They possibly need a left winger too to provide some width.

They should buy:

Str: Either Drogba, Toni, or Roque Santa Cruz.

Right back: Daniel Alves or Torosidis (why not, the kid could become amazing with the right coaching).

Left back: Pernia, Clichy, or Jankolovski.

Left wing: Petrov (Man City) or Castillo (Man City) or Ribery.

Really good game, but its kind of weird that you see manchester beating barca only 1-0 over two legs no?

And i agree, Etoo is trash. Ive always thought Drogba should go to barca. He would play so nice with messi. Now that you mention it barca do need wing backs. It would be really nice if barca bought toro for 10 million or more ahah :P

Sounds so strange when you have Zambrotta and Abidal on the def. wings and still people and including myself can spot some problems there. Still I'm not sure that their priority is new wingers (although could be improved and always better I agree). I still think that Zambrotta and Abidal's problems are more of the confidence, form/fitness and environment nature, than just simply saying that they are not good enough any more. Zambrotta some seasons back had been one of the best def. wingers 100% sure I'm and every team would have liked to get him. He has never adapted well enough in Barca and Spanish league

I think Zambrotta yet in any team in Italy, would look better and Abidal has always lacked some extra attacking potential but on his good form, he is an OK-ish winger. Nothing special but can be sufficient.

But what about CDs like Milito and Puyol?? I'm of the opinion when paired together ocassionally look like they fall apart all over the defense and their box. Puyol has been tragic compared to old himself from past couple/few seasons.

Chelsea vs. Liverpool 3:2 after the extra time and Chelsea are through. :tup:

Raping in the first half and raping in the extra time were enough for Chelsea to show their supremacy over Liverpool (in the Champions league, especially this season) but of course why not saying that they are more quality overall.

Well deserved!

GS1905's INSIGHT OF 1/2 FINALS

MANCHESTER UTD v FC BARCELONA

..Man Utd won 1-0 on aggregate..

With a passing and active midfield involving Xavi, Iniesta, Deco and sometimes deep-dropping Messi, it was obivous that Barcelona would seem more dominant than Manchester Utd in both legs. As stated previously, I don't think Rijkaard is the right man there to change things.

I totally disagree about Zambrotta. He was the man of the tie for Barcelona in both legs --defensively at least-- as he totally had the upper hand against Ronaldo. Yes, he was at fault for Scholes' goal but it's not easy dealing with the player of the season in Europe who is faster, more technical and 9 years younger than the Italian.

Abidal reminds me of the full-backs of 70s and 80s. No offensive ability whatsoever!!

FC CHELSEA v FC LIVERPOOL

..Chelsea won 4-3 on aggregate..

A dull defensive first leg was reversed by an active combative second leg. The baddens of the first leg, namely Drogba and El Nino, were the stars of the second which was no surprise. Michael Ballack also showed why he should be regarded one of the most versatile, if not top, players of his generation as he constantly ran through the thirds of the field and terrorised L'Pool with his especially off-the-ball-game.

The early injury to Martin Skrtel was unlucky for Liverpool but Hyppia also did pretty well, the penalty he was at fault for reminded us that this is a 36-year-old-guy. But I still think he was OK for the workers.

The first goal seemed offside, I mean when the initial ball was played to Kalou by Lampard, the Ivorian seemed a good 2-3 yards behind the defence but if you're talking about lethal finishing, another Ivorian, Drogba the powerhouse, simply defined it at its very best. Pepe Reine couldn't even get down properly after the ball touched the net!!!

One final thing.. The great Ukrainian of Milanello.. The legacy was officially over yesterday as he was used as a time-wasting sub by Chelsea, and seemingly, he is behind Drogba, Kalou and Anelka in the rotation. Time to hang up the boots, or change surroundings?

Isn't it a beauty of football that the team that failed to qualify for the CL final twice at the very sharp end under the "Special One", did it under the "Retarded One" (well, that's what the Brit press called him at some stage of the season) ?

OK, Zambrotta isn't too good in Spain, but I think there is some more life left in him.

And about GS1905 stuff, I just wanna stress a couple of stuffs:

1. Ballack especially in the first half and the earlier phases of the match once again showed that he is worse when paired together in midfield with Lampard who was great overall and as I took an example from the first half, I'll continue and say, compared to Ballack, Lampard's ball distribution was great. I still think as many others that Ballack without Lampard in a match, shows off even better.

Also very touchy moments were when Lampard scored that penalty and overall he dared play this match although 6 days ago his mother died...especially when he looked up to the skies and then while his teammates jumping on him to celebrate he was almost about to cry.

2. And about Mourinho and Grant. Well, Grant also took a huge amount of luck, something that Mourinho never seemed to catch in the Champions league. Firstly the schedule, Olympiakos and then Fenerbahce and then that Riise's own goal. But we also must give some credit to Grant. I think the football world underrates him as he doesn't look that stupid nor a bad coach. Simply the man shuts up and does his job. Also, his substitutions and selections started to be smarter recent weeks. And an easening factor to his coaching Chelsea also is Mourinho's base of players, as in the last couple of years this squad hardly changes their shape and roster especially after all those transfers before..

Guest TheLegend

I dont think Man utd's lucky streak can keep going. Clearly should have lost both games didnt deserve even 1 goal in any of those games..

Archived